PDA

View Full Version : Small red spot on scalp?

parkmikii
March 29th, 2017, 01:35 PM
I've noticed increased shedding lately (about 100 hairs a day, might be spring shed, so no idea, but my braid definitely got thinner) and this past week I noticed a sore red spot on the scalp: pic (https://s23.postimg.org/44xmokkyj/Screenshot_2017-03-29-16-50-54.png) pic (https://s7.postimg.org/e53rhb3ob/Screenshot_2017-03-29-16-51-07.png).
Planning to go to a dermatologist when I get the chance if it doesn't go away, but any idea from what could it be? I didn't change anything in my hair routine lately. Just regular CWC once a week and a scalp wash in the middle of the week.

lapushka
March 29th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I'd say go to a dermatologist. We can't possibly guess! It looks like you have a little flaking to go along with that, or am I not seeing correctly? Is your scalp itchy at all? If so, don't forget to mention that, it could all be important.

parkmikii
March 29th, 2017, 02:11 PM
I'd say go to a dermatologist. We can't possibly guess! It looks like you have a little flaking to go along with that, or am I not seeing correctly? Is your scalp itchy at all? If so, don't forget to mention that, it could all be important.

I should go, I'll go to the generalist doctor tomorrow and hope she'll send me to the dermatologist. Else I'll just go on my own even if the insurance doesn't cover it.
Yes there are some flakes (I'm currently using a dandruff shampoo with sulf and zinc) and it cleared up a bit but some flakes are still there and it doesn't itchy anymore (had itches in the past but very mild though).

lapushka
March 29th, 2017, 03:19 PM
I should go, I'll go to the generalist doctor tomorrow and hope she'll send me to the dermatologist. Else I'll just go on my own even if the insurance doesn't cover it.
Yes there are some flakes (I'm currently using a dandruff shampoo with sulf and zinc) and it cleared up a bit but some flakes are still there and it doesn't itchy anymore (had itches in the past but very mild though).

Do make sure you mention that, all of it, and that you've already been tinkering with it with a dandruff shampoo. Might be that you have something like SD. My red spots are usually redder (sore-red), but it comes in gradations, so there's no telling without a pro's opinion!

Reyesuela
March 29th, 2017, 09:38 PM
It looks like SD, but from here, who can say for sure?

parkmikii
March 30th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Just went today. She did a small checkup (just looked at my scalp with a magnifier) and said it's seborrheic dermatitis and the red thing is foliculitis. She prescribed an emulsion for the foliculitis (maskrym) and the Kerium DS shampoo for the SD.
Fingers crossed these will work and hopefully the shedding will decrease too :(

Reyesuela
March 30th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Ketoconazole 1-2% shampoo helps stop shed AND treats SD. :)

parkmikii
March 30th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Ketoconazole 1-2% shampoo helps stop shed AND treats SD. :)

Apparently the Kerium has piroctone olamine, no ketoconazole...I'm still looking around though, didn't order anything yet. Ketoconazole shampoo would be cheaper though.
Eta: According to this study they both perform quite similarly: link (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18498517)

lapushka
March 30th, 2017, 04:01 PM
If it were up to me, I'd first of all just do what your doctor "ordered". If that doesn't work you can always ask for or try the Nizoral 2%. :flower: Good luck!

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 30th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Good luck! Maybe check the SD support thread while you're at it. I have SD and its really easy to treat, just needs to be checked out.

Reyesuela
March 30th, 2017, 11:51 PM
Apparently the Kerium has piroctone olamine, no ketoconazole...I'm still looking around though, didn't order anything yet. Ketoconazole shampoo would be cheaper though.
Eta: According to this study they both perform quite similarly: link (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18498517)

PTO performed really well and n that study! Cool!

Reyesuela
March 30th, 2017, 11:52 PM
If it were up to me, I'd first of all just do what your doctor "ordered". If that doesn't work you can always ask for or try the Nizoral 2%. :flower: Good luck!
Can't order 2% off prescription on this side of the pond. Next time I'm in Britain, I'm mailing a ton to myself.

lapushka
March 31st, 2017, 05:22 AM
Can't order 2% off prescription on this side of the pond. Next time I'm in Britain, I'm mailing a ton to myself.

Yes true! In Belgium they are OTC as well. Nizoral only comes in one version in this country and it is the 2%, and it is OTC. You can only get them at the pharmacy.

And she can ask her doctor, to maybe try the Nizoral, if the shampoo she currently has doesn't do the trick. Right? :)

parkmikii
March 31st, 2017, 02:48 PM

That's what I plan to do :)
Thanks!

lapushka
March 31st, 2017, 03:23 PM
That's what I plan to do :)
Thanks!

Keep us posted on how it goes. I hope you get some relief soon, because I know what it can feel like when your scalp is not 100%.