PDA

View Full Version : Ends feeling different as I grow.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 28th, 2017, 11:53 PM
Not really sure how to explain it but I was speaking with another user about this feeling and she said she experienced it as well.
As my hair grows the ends feel different. Not thin but not thick. It doesn't feel bad, just different, and its mostly just the ends. The length feels thick and nice, and how I think hair would feel. I have never had hair past my collar bone before... So maybe I am just adjusting what long hair feels like?

Does hair physically feel different as it grows? Like when you run your hands through your hair and you feel the ends and they just feel.. off.
I dont know how else to discribe it. I have grown out my layers, most of them I think. So I am wondering what this feeling might be.
Maybe the age of the ends just makes them feel different?
As my layers start to fully "conjoin" with my length, it feels less and less odd.

I have been here a long time but this is a new feeling! :p

MoonRabbit
March 28th, 2017, 11:55 PM
Do they feel a little rough or dry?

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 29th, 2017, 12:11 AM
Do they feel a little rough or dry?

For once in my life, no. Haha. They feel nice. Just weird.

MoonRabbit
March 29th, 2017, 12:31 AM
Hmm now I'm really intrigued. The only time my ends feel different is if they are in need of moisture or too far gone and need trimmed. I also get a major difference in the fresh cut feel, to ends that have been growing for a year. They do feel more "mature". But I don't think that is what you are referring to, I hope someone has an answer.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 29th, 2017, 12:54 AM
Hmm now I'm really intrigued. The only time my ends feel different is if they are in need of moisture or too far gone and need trimmed. I also get a major difference in the fresh cut feel, to ends that have been growing for a year. They do feel more "mature". But I don't think that is what you are referring to, I hope someone has an answer.

I wish I knew how to discribe it.
Its hard since most members here seem to have had long hair -- or hair longer than my hair has ever been for a long while, before they even found LHC.

likelikepenny
March 29th, 2017, 04:07 AM
I have this feeling as well, although I have layers, and I'm wondering what all that is about.

lapushka
March 29th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Maybe it's the remnants of bleach/dye damage? Maybe try targeting just the ends with a bit of protein?

And regularly clarify-wash as well! Very important too. :)

My ends are significantly drier than from my roots to half of my hair. So I use LOC mainly there. It helps!

meteor
March 29th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Yes, it's not unusual for longer hair to feel different at the roots vs. the ends. Roots are typically less porous due to less weathering, less exposure to the elements, etc.
My ends are pretty ancient (almost knee length) and have been highlighted years ago and have been exposed to more sun and more washing and drying and combing cycles, obviously, so they feel naturally a bit dry. Roots are oilier, really smooth and "glassy", so to speak. If you check out hair analysis services (e.g. Goosefootprints by Wendy of Science-y Hair Blog, etc...), you'll notice that many reports ended up revealing pretty low porosity roots but higher porosity ends (e.g. - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/171228-goosefootprints-analysis.html).

Pamberpestana
March 29th, 2017, 10:58 AM
I feel the same way about my ends sometimes! My hair isn't damaged, so my only guesses are that I never knew what healthy ends are supposed to feel like because I've never really had healthy ends before and it's a new feeling for me. Or maybe this is just what "aged" hair feels like. By aged, I mean that this hair has been on my head for a number of years and it feels different than newly grown hair or freshly cut hair. If that makes sense. Lol

truepeacenik
March 29th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Meteor has it right.
The age plus the random lengths will make a slightly different hand feel.

Anje
March 29th, 2017, 01:15 PM
It's probably just weathering and whatnot, though it's worth occasionally clarifying (that is, shampooing the ends directly) to see if that doesn't fix it since conditioning tends to be concentrated on the ends.

At one point, I did have DH cut my hair at the point where he felt the texture change, and ended up with hip length after years at TB. My hair felt the same all the way to the tips for years after that, so there must have been some damage from who knows what that finally got cut out.

wispe
March 29th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Sounds to me like what remains of your layers/natural tapering? My hair taken in small sections can feel much the same root to tip, (maybe a tad drier at the end depending on how long ago I conditioned) but as a whole the layers/taper does make the ends feel a little different, texturally. I do think it feels different at the ends now than it did when I had much shorter hair/a blunt hemline. It's been years since then (in 2011 I grew out a pixie, maintaining at chin until the layers were gone and then grew to shoulder length, at which point I started getting it layered again.) and I wasn't paying these sorts of things much mind at the time.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 29th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Sounds to me like what remains of your layers/natural tapering? My hair taken in small sections can feel much the same root to tip, (maybe a tad drier at the end depending on how long ago I conditioned) but as a whole the layers/taper does make the ends feel a little different, texturally. I do think it feels different at the ends now than it did when I had much shorter hair/a blunt hemline. It's been years since then (in 2011 I grew out a pixie, maintaining at chin until the layers were gone and then grew to shoulder length, at which point I started getting it layered again.) and I wasn't paying these sorts of things much mind at the time.

I think so too. I took my hair into a ponytail and let some hairs slip and I still have some layers left so I think thats what it is.

I clarify regularly so the idea that I might need to clarify would not solve it, not that there is anything to solve, because it does not feel bad or look bad.
Just weird.

Reyesuela
March 29th, 2017, 09:35 PM
Try coconut oil. Your ends dry out faster and get rougher because they're cut, they're old, and they're the most likely bits to get damaged.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 30th, 2017, 01:42 AM
Try coconut oil. Your ends dry out faster and get rougher because they're cut, they're old, and they're the most likely bits to get damaged.

I don't use oils. :)
My hair absolutely hates them.
But my hair isn't dry. Just feels different.

Weird.
Different.
Off.

Not bad. Just a noticeable change.

Reyesuela
March 30th, 2017, 01:50 AM
That is strange!