PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my son's hair

Eastbound&Down
March 28th, 2017, 09:46 PM
My son is 3 y/o and has stick straight, very course hair. I mean COURSE, it feels like straw but it is healthy and gets cut every 2 months. I started using HE Hello Hydration S&C but it is not touching the courseness. My hair isn't this texture at all, so I'm not sure what to do, does he need more moisture? Protein?

Reyesuela
March 28th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Cones. It will still be coarse but will feel softer.

Andthetalltrees
March 28th, 2017, 10:54 PM
My hair is like this, I've just learned to accept it as it is because no product or method seems to help.

truepeacenik
March 29th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Remind me, do you have Native American/First Nations ancestry?

Eastbound&Down
March 29th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Remind me, do you have Native American/First Nations ancestry?

A little bit but I didn't get many of those traits, my dad and sister have them though.

truepeacenik
March 30th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Might kiddo's hair be good, strong hair from that ancestry?
Perhaps needing a touch of penetrating oil?

lapushka
March 30th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Cones. It will still be coarse but will feel softer.

I second that. Silicones are great on all of our F hair here (me, mom, dad), and it *smooths* and *softens*, so it should help.

sumidha
March 30th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Adjust your expectations. Nothing will make coarse hair soft the way that medium or fine hair is soft. As long as it's not tangling or frizzing or obviously damaged you're doing fine. :)

littlestarface
March 30th, 2017, 11:01 AM
My youngest son has hair that is so COARSE and very low porosity, his hair literally takes forever to get wet and even when its soaked its still dry underneath. He just keeps it short and very layered now and its so healthy and super thick. He has 1b hair with a 7inch circumference. I envy his hair everyday of my life lol.

The only we ever did when it was longer was oil it after the shower and do a heat cap on his hair for moisture with deep conditioners anything else is useless tbh.

Eastbound&Down
March 30th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the advice! I will try some different oils for after his baths and see if that cuts down the roughness. I'm not sure where he got his hair type from, but it is totally foreign to me.

pili
April 2nd, 2017, 09:27 AM
I second Sumidha, adjust your expectations. Corse hair is not necessarily damaged. There is nothing wrong with it. It's just different. It does have the advantage of being strong, though.