PDA

View Full Version : Hair stylist recently trimmed 10 inches instead of 4 inches.

Darrin
March 28th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I have been going to the same stylist for 11 years. I recently asked her to trim my hair 4 inches and she trimmed 10 inches. She said she made a mistake because she measured the length when I was sitting down. She has been in the business since 1980. I wanted my hair just above my belly button and wound up with mid back length hair. She at least trimmed it nice and even. May be my directions were vague? Should I giver her another chance in the future? How could she make such a mistake? She is nice and we are friendly. She once tried to talk a friend of mine out of cutting his long hair. When he resisted, she talked him into a medium length style, so that he could grow it back quickly, if he change his mine. So, I feel she is long hair friendly. I do not plan on trimming the rest of the year. I want to grow my hair back to waist length.

Darrin

Aredhel
March 28th, 2017, 09:50 AM
I tend to find that with hair salons, I have to physically show them with my hands exactly how much I want cut. :p I don't trust them with just a number because 2 inches could mean 6 inches to some people apparently. Hair salons are quite notorious for taking a trim to a huge cut.

Whether or not you wish to return to her in the future is your prerogative, but you might find that you will run into the same issue with other stylists as well. I know I have, which is why I trim my own hair now. :)

draysmir
March 28th, 2017, 09:52 AM
She sounds like a nice lady, but cutting off an extra half a foot of hair than you wanted seems like a hard thing to accidently do. Surely she would have been able to eyeball before she cut that she was cutting way more than 4 inches? It just seems odd to me.

In terms of if you think you should go back to her again, that's totally your choice. The only thing I could guess is she cut according to your body markers (if you asked to be just above your bellybutton), rather than cutting according to the length you asked to be cut off. When I sit down, at least for me, my hair looks longer than when I stand up (better posture maybe?). Maybe next time you could just grab your ends and just show her how much you want cut off, and get her to show you how much she is cutting off before she actually begins the first cut. She obviously had trouble interpreting not only your body markers, but what 4 inches apparently is. I definitely think this was her mistake, rather than yours though, so it would be reasonable if you did not want to go back to her. I'm very sorry this happened to you though, I'm sure you'll be able to grow back the hair you lost in no time! :D

PillowForts17
March 28th, 2017, 10:02 AM
I've personally sworn off hair dressers while I'm growing my hair out. Once I hit my goal, maybe I'll think about going back. But every time I go in I walk out unhappy in some way. Whether they cut it way too short or just completely butchered my hair (this happened the last time I went in). I think this was a big enough mistake for you to not go back to her at the very least. I have trouble believing this was an accident. Most people can tell the difference between four and ten inches. But again, it is up to you whether you go back or not.

Darrin
March 28th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the responses! At least she cut my hair nice and even. It looks fine, just not the length I was wanting. I may not go back to her. I just have a fear that a new stylist will do a worst job. I may try to trim my own hair once it grows back. However, I tried to trim my bangs in high school, and it did not go well! At least my hair grows faster than average. I am still a little disappointed.

Darrin

Aredhel
March 28th, 2017, 10:42 AM
I'd recommend looking on YouTube for some hair trimming tutorials! That's how I learned to trim my own hair. :)

lapushka
March 28th, 2017, 11:06 AM
I have been going to the same stylist for 11 years. I recently asked her to trim my hair 4 inches and she trimmed 10 inches. She said she made a mistake because she measured the length when I was sitting down. She has been in the business since 1980. I wanted my hair just above my belly button and wound up with mid back length hair. She at least trimmed it nice and even. May be my directions were vague? Should I giver her another chance in the future? How could she make such a mistake? She is nice and we are friendly. She once tried to talk a friend of mine out of cutting his long hair. When he resisted, she talked him into a medium length style, so that he could grow it back quickly, if he change his mine. So, I feel she is long hair friendly. I do not plan on trimming the rest of the year. I want to grow my hair back to waist length.

You could try trimming your hair yourself. Look up "Feye's self-trimming method" on Google. And you'll find great instructions that are easy enough to follow. I would not take the chance again; that is not a mistake you just make as a stylist.

Mlarmour
March 28th, 2017, 11:31 AM
I would let her know that you aren't happy about happened, let her know that you are thinking about going somewhere else because she cut way more hair than you're happy with.
My hairdresser always checks with me before she cuts my hair, even though she's literally just cutting off the smallest amount. When she did the big cut, she only cut off 1-2 inches at first even though I asked for more because she was worried I might decide it was too much if she cut the full amount off at once. If she upset me, I'd just never get my hair cut again, I hate going to the hairdressers - I go to her house - and I don't trust myself to ever cut my own hair.

Alissalocks
March 28th, 2017, 11:39 AM
I had the exact same experience many years ago! I went in with hip length hair that needed 4 inches off. Walked out with 10" cut that made me cry my eyes out. Your emotional fortitude is obviously stronger than mine.

I never went back. But I wasn't friendly and this was a new hairdresser, not someone I had a relationship with. Your choice but I also have moved to self trims since learning how, even though my current hair dresser is fabulous. I'm just maximizing length and avoiding the salon.

Aunty Miki
March 28th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Heart breaking! I show them on their comb how much I want off and then say only straight across the bottom because I'm growing my hair out to a ridiculous length. Last night, I dusted the length and had my first ever S&D session. If that keeps my hem perfectly straight across, I may never go back to a stylist, again.

Frankenstein
March 28th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Last year my hairdresser, who normally does a great job on my hair, gave me a U shape instead of my usual straight-across trim. Not as big a deal as losing 6 inches of hair I know, but I think that even the most trusted hairdressers can have "off days" and misunderstandings; who knows why. I would give her another chance but be VERY assertive next time of how much you want cut off.

Reyesuela
March 28th, 2017, 12:43 PM
10 inches? I'd never go to her again.

Bats&Cats
March 28th, 2017, 01:25 PM
10 inches? Yikes that's an awful lot for a mistake. I'm sorry this happened :( you're a lot stronger than me, I think I would have cried my eyes out. I wouldn't go back. This is why I trim my own hair, too many scissor happy peoples. At least she did a neat cut x

Silverbleed
March 28th, 2017, 02:34 PM
She sounds like a kind woman, but 6 inches off from what you really wanted is a big mistake - especially for an experienced hairdresser imho. That's a whole extra year of growth she cut off.

(I would have left crying, I've experienced exactly this too often and it sucks)

*Wednesday*
March 28th, 2017, 06:45 PM
10 inches? I'd never go to her again.

My sentiment exactly.

lizardspots
March 28th, 2017, 07:46 PM
I stopped going to hair dressers years ago for this exact reason - I ended up with a terrible bob because they messed up my request for shaggy long shoulder-length layers.

Now that my hair is long enough to do so, I've been trimming my own hair using Feye's method, and I couldn't be happier.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 28th, 2017, 10:54 PM
The issue is that she might make this mistake again. Yes, I am sure shes a nice woman, but to be cutting hair for so long but make what is really an armatures mistake?
I would go to someone else from now on. I hope she did not charge you full price. I pay a good 35$ for hair cuts, so if they mess up I refuse to pay the full amount.
If you mess up my hair, you mess with me.

Aunty Miki
March 29th, 2017, 12:20 AM
I'd kill 'er. Jk...kinda...

WillOTree
March 29th, 2017, 10:32 AM
Oh I would die! :shocked:

lithostoic
March 29th, 2017, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't have paid, and I would've made sure everyone in there heard me. There's no way she could've accidentally trimmed off that much.

sarahthegemini
March 29th, 2017, 10:51 AM
How could someone mistake 10 inches and 4 inches :-/

Angelica
March 29th, 2017, 10:58 AM
I am afraid that is no accident, you can't possibly mistake 4 inches instead of 10. Perhaps she had a slip with the scissors and messed the cut up and that is why ten inches came off! No I would never trust her again.

Kake
March 29th, 2017, 11:06 AM
That's terrible. Time to learn to cut it yourself?

truepeacenik
March 29th, 2017, 12:47 PM
What an odd excuse, standing v sitting.

On hair your former length, I can't see how that matters.

Can a cosmo on the boards explain this to me? (Without depth perception, a lot of my spatial relationship is done mentally. I often miss the whys.)

Talk with her, if you really like going there. Explain your disappointment, how you feel your goals are now longer to reach.
Ask for a refund, too. Six inches isn't small. Imagine a shoulder length client getting that mistake!

noahnoah
April 1st, 2017, 09:24 AM
Mine took off 5 inches when I aske for 1. And I thouhgt THAT was bad. She said she HAD to cut it off because it was damaged. I oculdnt see it. She didnt consult me first.

I wouldnt go back.

Aredhel
April 1st, 2017, 11:47 AM
Mine took off 5 inches when I aske for 1. And I thouhgt THAT was bad. She said she HAD to cut it off because it was damaged. I oculdnt see it. She didnt consult me first.

I wouldnt go back.

I've gotten this same exact garbage of an excuse before. :angry:

Garnetgem
April 1st, 2017, 12:56 PM
I have not been to a hair dresser for 25 years now for the same reason she cut off so much i went from knee length to shoulder length yes really and i only wanted a small trim to tidy the ends, when i made a fuss she said its her scissors to blame they slipped huh yeah sure...i later found out this hair dresser was selling hair on so i feel that why she took so much of mine..since closed down of course..but i have been put off hair dressers for life..i now cut my own and from time to time my mum does it for me..

Rebel Rebel
April 1st, 2017, 01:07 PM
I have not been to a hair dresser for 25 years now for the same reason she cut off so much i went from knee length to shoulder length yes really and i only wanted a small trim to tidy the ends, when i made a fuss she said its her scissors to blame they slipped huh yeah sure...i later found out this hair dresser was selling hair on so i feel that why she took so much of mine..since closed down of course..but i have been put off hair dressers for life..i now cut my own and from time to time my mum does it for me..

That's a terrible story and a horrible violation. I'm not sure where you live but where I live that's a lawsuit. So sorry that happened to you. I hope you've grown it all back now.

I just noticed you said it was 25 years ago. Still a terrible experience. I'm quite certain you've been able to grow it back in that time.

Garnetgem
April 1st, 2017, 02:12 PM
That's a terrible story and a horrible violation. I'm not sure where you live but where I live that's a lawsuit. So sorry that happened to you. I hope you've grown it all back now.

I just noticed you said it was 25 years ago. Still a terrible experience. I'm quite certain you've been able to grow it back in that time.

Yes it was an awful experience one that has put me off hair dressers for life! i did regrow it to waist after but lost it to stress again..so started over again it is now at classic but i have layers to grow out..i certainly wont step in a hair dressers door again for sure!

draysmir
April 1st, 2017, 02:51 PM

I don't even know what to say to that, that's so awful! :(

SeRe
April 1st, 2017, 03:52 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this. It very very nice of you to be so considerate. You seem to be very kind hearted.

I hope you are able to reach your hair goal length soon. Regular oiling and Hair Skin Nail supplements (without biotin IMO) should really help.

Darrin
April 4th, 2017, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=draysmir;3388454]I don't even know what to say to that, that's so awful! :([/QUO

I cannot imagine that she would sell my hair.

Darrin
April 4th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Thanks SeRe!

My hair has grown 2 inches since taking biotin. I hope biotin is healthy:)

Silverbleed
April 4th, 2017, 02:58 PM

:disbelief *speechless*

Zemeraldite
April 5th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Last time I said 'a trim with may 3 layers' with my BSL hair they they gave me thin, shaggy APL hair -.- (may not sound like much but is around 5 inches on me), so I know how you must feel :( maybe it's just better to get a friend/relative you trust to cut straight across? or cut it yourself using Faye's method or something, thats what I did back when I had waist length hair