PDA

View Full Version : Hairtype changing?

Fia
March 28th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Now, colour me confused. I've always had (or at least thought I had) stick straight hair, 1a if there ever was more of a 1a. Last couple of washes I've spotted some mild waves trying to work their way out of the hair. I mean, more than the odd wave to put me in 1b/1c territory. Proper waves, as in 2a or maybe even a 2b. Top that with hair having been a tad dryer than what I remember it to be at this length.

So, today's wash meant experimenting with an improvised LOC with products I already had at home. An old light conditioner (too light to be used for conditioning purposes) for the L, my regular Biosilk for the O (as I know oils don't agree with my hair and silicones will provide occlusion as well to keep moisture in) and hubby's gel-cream for the final C.

Waiting for the whole shebang to dry, but yes, from what I can see it's definitely wavy. Just how wavy remains to be seen.

Not sure where all this comes from. Age? Wave coming out after having it cut short for a couple of years (not unheard of, that texture changes when growing out again after having it shorter)? Or just random happening? Or just not spotting it before, being so convinced it's straight and treating it as such, thereby destroying any waves trying to find their way out.

Will report back once fully dry. It may be time to embrace the inner (and outer) wavy.

lithostoic
March 28th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Mine definitely changed too. Was 1a/b as a kid, as a teen 1b/c, and now I'm solid 1c and seem to be entering wavy territory! I think it's pretty common.

draysmir
March 28th, 2017, 10:07 AM
If you've had short hair previously, 2a waves won't likely show up until your hair is longer. For me, that was around BSL. When my hair was shorter, it never looked more than 1c really. I find personally that my 2a waves can very easily be coaxed into 1c or even 1b hair sometimes, if I comb my hair when its still wet, or put a lot of conditioner and oils in it. I have to moisturize my hair a lot now when washing it in hard water, so my hair looks 1c usually now, but if I don't put any products in my hair and just get it wet, it definitely looks more like 2a. So if you've been doing the same hair routine for a long time, it could be possible that you were indeed influencing your hair to be quite straight. There are many other factors that could make your hair wavier now though, this is just one factor that could change it. :D

draysmir
March 28th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Mine definitely changed too. Was 1a/b as a kid, as a teen 1b/c, and now I'm solid 1c and seem to be entering wavy territory! I think it's pretty common.

Good point! My hair is wavier than it as when I was a kid too, my hair started to get a bit wavy once I hit puberty.

Arctic
March 28th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Mine became wavy too when I was around 30. Took a while to get used to, but now I love the added volume!

hayheadsbird
March 28th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Yes, now I'm in my 30's I've got waves, but when I was younger it was stick straight. The canopy is still pretty much 1a/b though. In a half up it can look like it's moving well in two 2b territories

lapushka
March 28th, 2017, 11:08 AM
If you want to do a hairtyping pic, don't do LOC or otherwise try to "enhance" the wave. Just plain shampoo/condition and letting it go for drying; then see what that gives.

Cg
March 28th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Mine became wavy too when I was around 30. Took a while to get used to, but now I love the added volume!

What is this "volume" you speak of...? Envy, envy.

PixieP
March 28th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Yep, I got that too! This time last year I was pretty sure I was a solid 1a and had been my entire life. Then suddenly my hair started changing, first a single lock in a face framing layer, and then it spread to the whole hair. Last time I did a hairtyping I ended up as 1c/2a, but I think it's evolved more and may be a solid 2a now (I haven't fully airdried in ages because of winter, so we'll see when it gets warmer).

megthehennahead
March 28th, 2017, 01:09 PM
I was a 3a/b when I was little, but length pulled a little of the curl out, and now doing henna has relaxed it further to where I'm now a 2a/b. I'd love to have more natural curl again, so maybe it'll happen! I know a girl whose hair went from 1a/b to 3b when she started puberty, but I don't know too much about hair type changing later in life.

PixieP
March 28th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Also husband went from 1a as a child, to 2c/3a as a teen, to 1b in his twenties.

Arctic
March 28th, 2017, 01:18 PM
What is this "volume" you speak of...? Envy, envy.

He he, I used to have the no volume type, with a bit on bend at the ends (1b). It was funny riding bicycles to school on rainy days with my friend, who had borderline curly hair. Hers became increasingly bigger and poofier and mine became increasingly limper and even less voluminous if that's possible :D

Rebel Rebel
March 28th, 2017, 01:37 PM
I've always had fairly straight babyfine hair but when traveling to high humidity places my hair has always waved up. For the last few years though, the damaged, thinner parts of my hair have become wavy/frizzy in any climate while the healthy parts of my hair are straight. Anyone have an explanation? Damaged thin hair goes wavy?

Fia
April 3rd, 2017, 11:20 AM
Hair freshly washed and conditioned. Up in a towel for now to blot out the worst drips. Then it's down and airdrying without anything added to it to see what gives. The suspense is killing me, will there be waves or not? :D

spidermom
April 3rd, 2017, 01:17 PM
I used to think my hairtype was 2C, and most of the community agreed with me, but now I'd describe my hairtype as "puffball".

school of fish
April 3rd, 2017, 01:27 PM
I was a lifelong 1a until I had my 2nd child in my 40s, and now my underlayer is growing in 2b... I'd say about 2/3 or my hair is this new 2b texture and the remaining canopy 1/3 remains 1a. It feels strange to have such wide span in textures with nothing in between!

Jettabar99
April 3rd, 2017, 01:31 PM
Same happened to me. No longer stick straight hair - quite wavy now

hayheadsbird
April 3rd, 2017, 01:32 PM
I was a lifelong 1a until I had my 2nd child in my 40s, and now my underlayer is growing in 2b... I'd say about 2/3 or my hair is this new 2b texture and the remaining canopy 1/3 remains 1a. It feels strange to have such wide span in textures with nothing in between!
This is pretty much me too!

Babyfine
April 3rd, 2017, 05:05 PM
Me: Toddler-Fine, wavy, about 2-c
from around 5-13 fine, 1b
14-20 2a, then 2b, then 2c. Had a lot of almost curly ringlets.
21-46 or 47 straight, 1b maybe 1c
Late 40's to current- 2a, 2b with the right product and scrunching.
My greys are quite wavy.

My oldest son: straight from birth to puberty
from age 15 to 20 3a, almost 3b!!! very curly!
now at almost 23 starting to get straighter again.

My nephew: Straight until puberty in his early 20's still has curl. He's a year younger than my son.
My mother , a Scandinavian Blonde, had 1c hair that was never curly during puberty but got very wavy in her late 40's.

Aredhel
April 3rd, 2017, 05:15 PM
Yeah I feel this. I used to be a pure 1a/F, but lately I'm fairly certain that I'm morphing into a 1b/M... or maybe 1a/1b/M...:confused:

Fia
April 4th, 2017, 04:23 AM
Verdict is in. 1c is where I'm at for now. Not quite wavy enough to make it into the 2's, but definitely a body wave and some outright waves in there.

hayheadsbird
April 4th, 2017, 04:28 AM
Verdict is in. 1c is where I'm at for now. Not quite wavy enough to make it into the 2's, but definitely a body wave and some outright waves in there.

Whoop! That's exciting :)

Did you check if it's waiver underneath and the canopy straighter?

Anya15
April 4th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Ooh exciting. My hairtype has changed too in the past.

As a kid - 1c. I even had bangs.
Middle school and teenage years - a solid 2b.
College - 1c/2a when my hair was short.
Now - 2c. It goes to a 2b/2c sometimes (depending on the weather).
Some of my new growth is coarse and CURLY. I even have a couple of weird strands that form actual coils. So hair type is a weird, weird thing :lol:

SwanFeathers
April 4th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Mine went from 1b as a kid to 2c/3a in my twenties