PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice For Uncontrollably Frizzy Hair

elocin9911
March 28th, 2017, 02:07 AM
For ages and ages I've seemingly tried everything to cure this "halo" of 1-inch high frizz that seems to be permanently attached to the top of my head. Does anyone have any advice on getting rid of this? Below I'll include my hair type and normal routine.

My hair type is a combination of 2B and 2C. I never blow dry it (except for once per month when I get a haircut at the salon) or use a curler or straightener. My hair has usually been around waist length, but now is at about chest length. It's also thin, but coarse. In the past I've used shampoos with silicones, but for the moment I'm using Garnier Fructise 3x moisture shampoo and conditioner without parabens and sulfates. I deep condition and shampoo my hair once per week (though not on the same day), and wash my hair only twice per week, at which time I use my regular conditioner. I've been told in the past by different stylists that my hair is naturally very dry. After washing my hair I put in a leave-in avocado conditioner and Loma brand repairative tonic. I've also tried using a pomade, but after the second day applying it it starts to make my hair look greasy because I usually have to apply it every day. Before washing my hair I comb through it with a wide-tooth comb, and besides that I don't brush my hair. Does anyone have any tips? I'm super desperate to get this burden under control, so I'll pretty much try anything at this point. Help?

tigress86
March 28th, 2017, 03:22 AM
Have you ever considered or tried co-washing?

Reyesuela
March 28th, 2017, 03:36 AM
Coconut oil or silicone spray tames wispiness.

Apply then smooth. Choices for smoothing are: your hand, SOFT boar bristle brush (used lightly) or a fine toothed comb.

Mine are growing out for the first time in my life, but a hair loss regimen is a bit extreme just to calm wispy edges.

Silverbleed
March 28th, 2017, 03:40 AM
If it's new growth, there's not much you can do except protect it so it'll grow longer and you will have less frizz. I was in the same situation a while ago, when I suddenly had a lot of new hair growth. It now joined the rest of my hair and it's around my ears now. It's still a bit frizzy there, but not as much and not nearly as bad as the shorter length.

Also for me many products cause this frizzy effect instead of prevent it. It may be useful to test this out as well, to make sure the products are actually helping you.

I'd also suggest to try co-washing.

Kake
March 28th, 2017, 03:51 AM
I think 2c and fine is difficult hair. I've never conquered the frizz, but a spray of hairspray on my BBB run lightly over the top section (when wearing it up) helps my dandelions.

lapushka
March 28th, 2017, 05:13 AM
A little of your serum, that you put in your ends, lightly touched over your crown (the remnants on your hands). Should do it. I sometimes smooth the rest of it on my hands over other spots on my length (never my scalp, though).

Simsy
March 28th, 2017, 05:16 AM
You sound like me when I had hair that length. A permanent halo effect, pretty but annoying.

Fixes I found worked for me.
Conditioner; glop it on thick (mine works better on wet hair), and let it sit there. I find my hair will soak up most of the conditioner in 5-10 mins just standing in the shower.
Hair masks; I use the 1 and 2 minute versions and go the same way as the conditioner. If you do both, hair mask then conditioner and let both sit for a few minutes.
Shampoo, I can't use shampoo by itself. If there is shampoo, then a conditioner of some kind has to follow or the mop objects.
Oils might help with a bit more moisture, but your mileage may vary.

Final tip, learn to like that little halo. I still get it, even at my length and even with my hair in the best condition ever. It's just one of those curly things.

pili
March 28th, 2017, 07:48 AM
I second Simsy, it's a curly thing. Whispies and new growth defy gravity. I use reminant oil after applying it to my ends, though serum will work too. The technique is like lapushka suggested, however, I also spritz them with water and try to get them to clump into baby curls. That looks better than frizzy cobwebs of fluff if I try to smash them down.

Kellwise Gamgee
March 28th, 2017, 10:04 AM
I feel your pain! I too have fine 2c-ish hair (more like 3a when it's shorter). I constantly lose tons of hair and also therefore constantly have tons of new growth! I seem​ to have recently found my "holy grail" of products to tame the Beast as best I can. It's not perfect, but it's way better!!

I use Hask Argan Oil shampoo and conditioner, Nightblooming's hair oil in Raven Queen scent (smells sooooo amazing!), Followed by Nightblooming's panacea hair salve. You only need a little of both of the hair products so they last quite a while.

Then I put my hair up in a clip till it's half dry- seems to keep the crown frizz at bay!!

Hope that helps a little! Good luck!

Kake
March 28th, 2017, 11:21 AM
I feel your pain! I too have fine 2c-ish hair (more like 3a when it's shorter). I constantly lose tons of hair and also therefore constantly have tons of new growth! I seem​ to have recently found my "holy grail" of products to tame the Beast as best I can. It's not perfect, but it's way better!!

I use Hask Argan Oil shampoo and conditioner, Nightblooming's hair oil in Raven Queen scent (smells sooooo amazing!), Followed by Nightblooming's panacea hair salve. You only need a little of both of the hair products so they last quite a while.

Then I put my hair up in a clip till it's half dry- seems to keep the crown frizz at bay!!

Hope that helps a little! Good luck!

Drying up helps me too. I also always have lots of regrowth. I really think fine and curly hair is quite a challenge!

Dark40
May 8th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Try serums like Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream for Frizzy Hair. Or, get you some products that have silicones in them. Like, Silicon Mix. I applied some Silicon Mix deep conditioner to my hair this passed week, and it came out amazingly soft without any frizzies!!! I applied it and let it set for 3 or 5 minutes, and let my hair air-dry for 6 hours. After that, I blow-dried it for only 5 minutes. Then, I flat-ironed it to smooth out the ends and edges, and after flat-ironing all of the frizzies were gone!!! :)