PDA

View Full Version : Hair Skin & Nails pills or vitamins

CreatureBailey
March 27th, 2017, 11:15 PM
So these. They're at the pharmacy... and I was wondering if anyone tried them.

Do they actually work and is it worth getting?

Aunty Miki
March 28th, 2017, 12:42 AM
I take biotin. My hair and nails are growing very fast. Dunno if it's just genetics or the vitamin.

Reyesuela
March 28th, 2017, 03:43 AM
A waste of money. Biotin isn't going to be the rate-limiting step.

If you want something with real evidence, take NAC, especially with gelatin. But only take gelatin near bed because glycine makes you sleepy.

A decent overview: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4828511/

luvlonghair75
March 28th, 2017, 07:12 AM
I like using Nature's Bounty Hair Skin and Nails.

marvel-lover
March 28th, 2017, 07:18 AM
I like One A Day Women's vitamins. It has biotin, makes my nails and hair grow, but also has calcium, vitamin D (I'm too pale to get vitamin D the traditional way) and other good stuff. Particularly Folic Acid, which is super important because I'm hoping to start a family within the next few years.

Mlarmour
March 28th, 2017, 10:06 AM
I've been taking a women's multi vitamin for a short while and I've found that my hair and nails are stronger. My nails seem to be growing quicker but for growing my hair faster, I'm not sure. If anything, the multi vitamin is just filling but any nutritional gaps I have which is always a good thing.

PillowForts17
March 28th, 2017, 10:11 AM
I started taking Biotin when my now husband first proposed in 2015. I took it for our whole engagement and my hair (which normally would grow super slowly) ended up at BSL from shoulder in the year and a half before the wedding. Once the wedding happened I made a mistake and did a big chop I instantly regretted. Since then I still take Biotin every day and I've now added a B complex vitamin. For me, I've always had slow growing hair and I don't know if it comes from vitamin deficiency or just crappy genetics. But I seriously think Biotin is worth it if you've had trouble growing your hair out before. As for the other vitamin, I've only been taking that for a month now so I can't really tell if that one's worth it yet.

mizukitty
March 28th, 2017, 10:17 AM
I've taken hair, skin, and nails gummies in the past. I don't take them long term, however. Just for a month or so every year. I do believe it slightly increases the rate at which my hair grows, but nothing earth shattering. However, it does make my nails grow *very* fast. When I go through very stressful times and literally rip my nails up, I usually take HSN for a week or so to give them a kick in the butt. Bad habit :lol:

I wouldn't recommend taking them long term for something like hair growth, a multivitamin would be more beneficial for that. Also always check with a doctor before starting a new supplement. This may seem like a disclaimer, but it's actually really important! I've taken supplements without double checking before and it turns out they interacted with other meds I take. Not making that mistake again.

dansyl
March 28th, 2017, 03:28 PM
I have been taking a hair, skin and nails gummy. I do think it is making my hair grow a little faster, but don't expect miraculous results.

*Wednesday*
March 28th, 2017, 05:05 PM
I take Solgar skin hair and nails. That brand, because it’s a vegetarian formula. No, my hair does not grow faster. I’m not looking for fast, but for health. It contains MSM (sulfur) and I take for overall SHN health. It support collagen/keratin production. I also take Vitamin C w/D and B 12. You can also take MSM powder as well. Mix it in drinks. It should be taken with Vitamin C for best absorption. Some people do have side effects. Taking anything new start slow.

Many vitamins for skin, hair and nails contain Biotin (B7). It is present in many foods and most people get enough of it naturally. Our bodies also make it. When you take Biotin, for it work efficiently you must take with other B-Complex vitamins. Also, too much Biotin can block the absorption of other B vitamins which throw the system (for some) into an imbalance and cause cystic acne break-outs, for some. Other women are fine with it. Don’t overdose on it. Start slow and see how you do, with any vitamin. The lack of Biotin will be brittle hair and nails.

Are they worth getting? Different things work well for different people. Keep in mind that most vitamins take on average 4 months to build up in the body. I would give at least 6 months to see results realistically. I know we want as fast as we can, but realistically hair growth takes time. Vitamins taken in excess especially water soluble (like Biotin or MSM), is peed out of the body. Taking “more” doesn’t = faster growth, but peed out. Many vitamins depending on the coating (the shell) are not fully broken down in the body, so sometimes we never receive the prescribed amount noted on the container. Always try to get from the natural source where your body can extract it easily. Vitamins are just that, a supplement.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 28th, 2017, 10:58 PM
I take natures bounty hair skin and nails, and my nails are MUCH stronger now. That's for sure.
I cant tell if it helps my hair at all. But I think vitamins are a good idea for most people. Fills in the gaps for me. I dont take the full dose, just 1/3 instead of all 3 pills.
5,000 MCG of biotin is TOO MUCH. Like for real.

Angelica
March 29th, 2017, 11:14 AM
My brother was prescribed hair, nails and skin vitamins during an eczema outbreak. Some are better than others.

hayheadsbird
March 29th, 2017, 11:53 AM
I take a general multi vitamin, but not specifically for hair growth. Just to plug any gaps in my slightly erratic but generally healthy diet. I can't say I've ever noticed an increase in hair growth because of it, but I haven't really been looking. My hair grows slightly above average, but not much.

WillOTree
March 29th, 2017, 11:59 AM
I'm still nursing so I'm taking prenatals, and try to keep a healthy diet. I'll have a protein shake if I miss a meal. It may not make my hair grow faster that I've noticed, but it's certainly healthier.

hayheadsbird
March 29th, 2017, 12:02 PM
I'm still nursing so I'm taking prenatals, and try to keep a healthy diet. I'll have a protein shake if I miss a meal. It may not make my hair grow faster that I've noticed, but it's certainly healthier.

That's pretty much why I started, pregnancy, then nursing. The youngest is down to just bedtime feeds now so nursing isn't really the reason anymore, but after a few years it becomes habit.

florafox
March 30th, 2017, 05:26 PM
I take the Natures Bounty ones. I am starting my box this weekend so I can accurately keep track of any growth. I tried to find the caplets I didn't think the soft gel formula did much for me before. Last year I took the caplets and noticed a big difference in my hair and nails, nothing for my skin. I mentioned in another thread I just tried the Mielle Organics vitamins and it caused some issues for me. I don't recommend taking anything with super high DV percentages, especially B vitamins. I don't think anyone needs to take all three of the Natures Bounty ones.

WillOTree
March 30th, 2017, 06:21 PM
That's pretty much why I started, pregnancy, then nursing. The youngest is down to just bedtime feeds now so nursing isn't really the reason anymore, but after a few years it becomes habit.

Same here, she's down to naps night time, and occasionally more when she's teething. I take them when I get home from work, and feel like I'm forgetting something if I don't. Creatures of habit.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 30th, 2017, 06:46 PM
I take the Natures Bounty ones. I am starting my box this weekend so I can accurately keep track of any growth. I tried to find the caplets I didn't think the soft gel formula did much for me before. Last year I took the caplets and noticed a big difference in my hair and nails, nothing for my skin. I mentioned in another thread I just tried the Mielle Organics vitamins and it caused some issues for me. I don't recommend taking anything with super high DV percentages, especially B vitamins. I don't think anyone needs to take all three of the Natures Bounty ones.

When I take the full dose (3 pills) my urine turns NEON yellow, and I tend to feel real sick. Like just not, good.

When I take 1 pill (1/3 the dose) I feel GREAT and I have energy and get great results.
Nobody needs 200% of their DV for biotin, vitamin D or anything else. 5,000 MCG of biotin is overkill.