PDA

View Full Version : Hair scissors not all they're cracked up to be?/low quality

Kaelee
March 26th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Hey everyone,

My otherwise healthy hair is full of splits, no matter how much I S&D. It seems like every time I trim a split, another one comes back in its place. I trimmed about 1.5" a couple days ago (my ends were crunchy) and I am noticing that it looks like the freshly cut ends are now split as well. (Most of my splits were never at the very ends to begin with, so I'm not surprised to find some, but the longest/fresh ends are splitting as well.) :(

I use a pair of hair only scissors, bought from Sally's. They're pretty generic but are sold for hair and have only been used for hair. I had another pair of the same brand and had a similar issue. Is my hair just especially split prone, or are my scissors ground at a funny angle that is not good for hair? (I have a microscope...I should cut a strand and check. :hmm:) Has anyone had this issue?

lapushka
March 27th, 2017, 06:14 AM
I don't know how my hair was when I used drugstore hair scissors, but back then my hair was pretty damaged to begin with.

I invested in a cheaper pair of pro-style scissors (slightly more than €50), the brand name is Ultron (they're a EU brand), and I have been pretty happy with them. The one thing I noticed (they are Japanese steel) is that the blades are *much* sharper than the drugstore pair. The drugstore pair I can compare to regular scissors, this pro-style scissor is like, well I recently cut myself on them (my mom before me had too), and I tell you it's like a razor - that sharp. So no I don't think they're comparable at all.

I'd invest in a pro-style scissor (but never get one from e-bay!!!)

Alaska98
March 27th, 2017, 08:04 AM
That's how my hair is, and I don't think it's my scissors because I cut my girls' hair, too. Their hair doesn't split bad like mine does. Mine were also from Sally's, I don't recall the brand, but I remember they were 50 some dollars on sale.

Kaelee
March 27th, 2017, 08:26 AM
I did just buy a good ($50) pair of scissors that claim to be Japanese steel. They are Cricket Shear Xpressions brand, and, having nothing else to go on (but not the $10 black plastic handled ones I've had two pairs of by now) they have blue glittery finger grip rings, and blue is my favorite color. :D

I did ask the lady working there if she had any reviews, and told her of my problem. She said it's because I've been cutting my hair dry. Which is a good thought but I am not sure how I can S&D wet and still see the splits.

I'll give these a try. It may just be that my hair has extra internal tension or something, It's otherwise in good condition. These scissors already feel and look sharper, and the blades slide together more nicely.

Kaelee
March 27th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Having actually used these scissors now, they are MUCH better. I can tell that the cut ends are cleaner/better too. I just spent about an hour snipping splits and white dots out, and hopefully I'll see progressively fewer of them from here on out. I'm optimistic, anyway.

sumidha
March 27th, 2017, 05:51 PM
I don't think cutting hair wet will prevent split ends... :confused:

But $40 to $50 does seems to be the average price for quality hair scissors, so I'm glad to hear you're happy with the upgrade. For what it's worth, I also paid around $40 for mine (I forget the brand), they don't cause splits and with how infrequently I cut hair I don't expect to have to sharpen them for the rest of my life. ;)

Kaelee
March 27th, 2017, 06:36 PM
I don't think cutting hair wet will prevent split ends... :confused:

But $40 to $50 does seems to be the average price for quality hair scissors, so I'm glad to hear you're happy with the upgrade. For what it's worth, I also paid around $40 for mine (I forget the brand), they don't cause splits and with how infrequently I cut hair I don't expect to have to sharpen them for the rest of my life. ;)

Honestly, having used the $50 ones I can't figure out how the $10 ones even qualify as hair shears. The blades are completely different. Different angle, different grind, polish, everything. It's like comparing a fillet knife and a bread knife. Both are useful and cut but not even remotely the same thing.

lunasea
March 27th, 2017, 07:51 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that you have to spend that much to get quality scissors. :disbelief I've just been using some generic hair scissors on my bangs.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 28th, 2017, 11:06 PM
Honestly, having used the $50 ones I can't figure out how the $10 ones even qualify as hair shears. The blades are completely different. Different angle, different grind, polish, everything. It's like comparing a fillet knife and a bread knife. Both are useful and cut but not even remotely the same thing.

Good to know! I have been using a cheap pair for awhile now and I am beginning to think that I should probably invest like you did... so so broke. LOL.

MoonRabbit
March 29th, 2017, 12:20 AM
I was using $8 shears for a long time and I always ended up with splits. It took me awhile to realize it was the shears doing most of the damage. I decided to get a pro set, the brand is Shark Fin and they are on the expensive side ($180) but the quality is amazing. I thought I was going to regret overpaying for something I will rarely use but I think these will last me the rest of my life.

lapushka
March 29th, 2017, 07:47 AM
There is a brand out there of hair products that do a good quality shear... what's the name again, Mane choice? Hang on...

These are the shears. If you can go on some YT vids they are pretty good.
https://themanechoice.com/products/shear-surgical-precision-professional-cut-split-end-eliminator

pili
April 2nd, 2017, 09:59 PM
Wow! I didn't realize they made that much of a difference. I have a $10 pair from Sally's, but I'm not noticing extra splits. I did my first S/D since my big chop and I only found about 20.

spidermom
April 2nd, 2017, 10:27 PM
My hair never missed an opportunity to split, which is why I wear it shorter now.

Spinder
April 4th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Maybe this is why I keep getting splits (my scissors are an 18$ drug store pair...) Guess I better start saving.

pili
April 4th, 2017, 08:34 PM
I may need to monitor my splits more closely. If they start getting a lot worse, I'm going to upgrade, but regardless, I'm buying a new pair for when I start microtrimming once I hit waist.