PDA

View Full Version : To cone or not to cone: hair help?

Missa
October 24th, 2008, 07:14 AM
My hair has been chemically dyed, and bleached a couple of times and hennaed many times in between over the last couple of years. I have BSL hair and the last 3 inches or so are pretty damaged with white dots and some split ends.

I have tried cone-free with oils for about 4 months and then recently switched to heavy coning again with no oils. Usually it is really dry all the time no matter what I do and tangles really easily. If I use cones or not my hair is still dry, except for just after a honey/conditioner deep treatment. Recently I stopped using henna and chemically coloured my hair to match my roots (medium auburn). I want to commit to dye-free, bleach-free henna-free hair growing until all my hair is virgin, but until then I will be doing monthly 1/2 inch trims.

In the meantime I just want to figure out what is better for my hair: cones or no cones? Will the cones coat the damaged hair and help it stay strong or will they just dry out from cones. Anyone with similar hair type and history/state of hair to me please give me your advice.

Thanks!!!!!! :)

Dolly
October 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM
In the meantime I just want to figure out what is better for my hair: cones or no cones? Will the cones coat the damaged hair and help it stay strong or will they just dry out from cones. Anyone with similar hair type and history/state of hair to me please give me your advice.

Thanks!!!!!! :)

Well, everyone's hair is different......some people use cones and love them, and some go cone free.....me, I use a mixture of coney and non-cone products. My hair likes cones (within reason), and since I chemically dye my hair, the cones help the ends......I use Aussie leave in, which has cones, and it helps greatly with the tangles and splits.....it also gives me really nice shine......

Listen to your hair, an do what it likes......if the cones make your hair dry or crispy, you can always do a clarifying wash (I use Suave clarifying shampoo or a baking soda paste).....it should remove any buildup and solve the problem.....

ravenreed
October 24th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I CO and use non-cone for the cleansing part and a heavy cone for the ends, otherwise I can't even finger comb. Also, I oil the ends before bed. Seems to be helping. I have to make sure I dampen the part I am going to oil or it doesn't do any good.

Katze
October 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM
when I wanted to rescue my hair from the years and years of dye, bleach, heat, I decided to go as 'natural' as possible. I started experimeting with Rhassoul (clay) washing, oils, honey, shea butter, etc. It took finding this site, and learning about my hair type (a difficult one) to start to learn what my hair 'liked'. Last winter, tired of the stringy appearance of ny length, I tried 'cones (Dove) and at first was pleased with the results.

But after a while my sensitive scalp started acting up, and I didn't like that 'cones flattened out my wave, making my hair almost straight. I do still use them, but not very often.

What seems important to me is 1) that you're happy with your hair and 2) that you can recgnize damage and learn how to minimize it and see it when it appears. 'Cones might help with 1, but hinder 2. That's my 'cone philosophy, at least, in a nutshell... ;)

Missa
October 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I clarified my hair and went cone free for a week. I had alot of breakage since my used to be temporarily bonded with the silicone. My ends are not crunchy with or without cones. The moisture level is the same, the only difference is that with cones my hair was shinier, detangled, and the ends were more protected. I think I'll stick with cones until my hair is all virgin again.

Thanks for the advice.

Friesiangirl
October 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I personally do mostly water only, with ACV rinses, however once a week I use Herbal Essences on the last four inches of my hair to reduce snagging. Herbal Essences has tones of cones, but halfway through the week they go bye-bye after my ACV rinse, followed by an oiling.

So I basically switch between oiling (to get into the hair shaft) and then coning (to coat the oils in)

Hayley