PDA

View Full Version : Alentejoazul olive wood hair forks

jennareid
March 25th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Couldn't find a thread, sorry if I missed an existing one!

I'd had my eye on this seller for a while on their DaWanda (https://en.dawanda.com/shop/Alentejoazul/130206) page, because I absolutely LOVE olive wood. I only just noticed their Etsy (https://www.etsy.com/shop/Alentejoazul?ref=l2-shopheader-name) shop so I thought I should finally put an order in. They're in Portugal but shipping to the States is only a little over $4. I'd messaged them asking if they did custom forks because at the time they only had 5" ones listed, they replied saying they just listed a longer one and will be posting more stuff to Etsy over the next few days. This is the one I bought:

http://i.imgur.com/2gmnqpX.jpg

It looks like it has a little more head curve than I'm used to so we'll see how it works for me.

yamsha23
March 25th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Thank you so much for the link, I was searching for exactly this type of minimalist and sturdy hair fork... it makes me think a little bit of Furnivals Workshop (I miss you please come back soon!:pray::heartbeat)

jennareid
April 6th, 2017, 03:28 PM
My fork came today and I really like it. It's a close match to my hair colour so it's pretty neutral. It took some wiggling but it is ROCK solid. It does have a sharper curve than I'm used to, like I thought it might, but it's actually really comfortable, it feels like it "hugs" my head more than other forks. Low-res pics ahoy!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/jennareid2/PHOTO_20170406_170811-1_zps34ormlnd.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/jennareid2/PHOTO_20170406_170816-1_zpswjox4twy.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/jennareid2/PHOTO_20170406_171038-1_zpsyid89otv.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/jennareid2/PHOTO_20170406_171211-1_zpsbugrb6fy.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/jennareid2/PHOTO_20170406_171454-1-1_zpsgyon6xg9.jpg

Reyesuela
April 6th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Love!!! Absolutely gorgeous.

missbexy
April 10th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Oh that looks lovely. I've saved the page for when I next have some hair toy money.

Groovy Granny
April 10th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Beautiful wood; it compliments your pretty hair :love:

hayheadsbird
April 11th, 2017, 12:09 PM
I have a few of these on my favourite list as well for next hairtoy purchase :)

Ligeia Noire
April 18th, 2017, 07:11 AM
Oh my its from my country! Have to check the price and maybe ship one to my mom's house when I am there.

samanthaa
April 18th, 2017, 07:39 AM
That is so pretty, jennareid! Compliments your hair color perfectly.

jennareid
April 18th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone :o

DweamGoiL
June 2nd, 2017, 08:22 AM
I ordered 2 Olive Wood forks from them:

This (https://www.etsy.com/listing/506879606/hair-fork-olive-wood-3-prong-curved?ref=shop_home_active_15) and this (https://www.etsy.com/listing/506741352/hair-fork-olive-wood-3-prong-curved?ref=listing-shop-header-1)

One, I was keeping and the other was for a gift, but it turned out it didn't work for the person since she preferred thinner tines.

At the time I ordered, there wasn't too much variety, but they seem to be branching out into other styles and materials and adding cabochons and such, which is really nice. Let me tell you that craftmanship is top notch! The forks I received have a natural oil finish, but are super smooth and no dry/rough spots anywhere. They are also very sturdy forks, and the shapes are very sinewy, which is something I strongly prefer.

Shipping was fast and prices for shipping were pretty standard, but the prices for the fork themselves were very reasonable for the style and durability factor. They also shipped right away and it took less than a week to arrive to the US. I am quite pleased I took a chance on this shop.

I am looking forward to hearing comments from others in the future :)

I do have an action shot (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=22367&page=1106&p=3415755&viewfull=1#post3415755) from the WEO Challenge thread.

Dendra
June 2nd, 2017, 08:48 AM
Oh wow, so nice to see a hair fork shop based in Portugal!!

The two that you bought are lovely, DweamGoiL, they're the nicest ones :)

I think they might be a bit too chunky for me though as I have a really sensitive scalp, so they might be too heavy. What do you think?

AspenSong
June 2nd, 2017, 08:52 AM
Oh dang, those are pretty!!! I like that Ginko stick in the shop, too!

DweamGoiL
June 2nd, 2017, 09:02 AM
Oh wow, so nice to see a hair fork shop based in Portugal!!

The two that you bought are lovely, DweamGoiL, they're the nicest ones :)

I think they might be a bit too chunky for me though as I have a really sensitive scalp, so they might be too heavy. What do you think?

I don't find the longer one heavy at all, but they are definitely more substantial than let's say a 60th Street fork.

Oh dang, those are pretty!!! I like that Ginko stick in the shop, too!

I love that one, too. They only listed it after the fact or else I would've been ALL OVER THAT!!!

Dendra
June 2nd, 2017, 09:09 AM
I don't find the longer one heavy at all, but they are definitely more substantial than let's say a 60th Street fork.

I love that one, too. They only listed it after the fact or else I would've been ALL OVER THAT!!!

Hahaha, sounds like your wallet just avoided a beating!

OK that's helpful to know re the weight of the forks, thank you. I'm yet to try a 60th street fork but suspect they may be the holy grail of light hair forks. Along with perhaps Good Village Woodcraft and some Canadian Inspirations?

eadwine
June 2nd, 2017, 09:24 AM
*tucks wallet far far faaaar away*

60th street is ... the best, to be honest.

I am not going for this one, despite the being in Europe and all that. I have been thinking of getting me some Docs (feet things), and I want to have some money left over after that slaughter on my wallet ;)

DweamGoiL
June 2nd, 2017, 09:25 AM
Hahaha, sounds like your wallet just avoided a beating!

OK that's helpful to know re the weight of the forks, thank you. I'm yet to try a 60th street fork but suspect they may be the holy grail of light hair forks. Along with perhaps Good Village Woodcraft and some Canadian Inspirations?

No disrespect to Good Village Woodcraft, but I received a fork from the swap board that was purchased by that person with a broken tine glued back on, and although it's wearable, if it were my shop, I would never sell something as new with such a repair. Maybe others aren't as observant as I am, but I noticed it right away and I always feel that I need to be extra cautious when using it since it has this structural weakness.

Dendra
June 2nd, 2017, 10:27 AM
No disrespect to Good Village Woodcraft, but I received a fork from the swap board that was purchased by that person with a broken tine glued back on, and although it's wearable, if it were my shop, I would never sell something as new with such a repair. Maybe others aren't as observant as I am, but I noticed it right away and I always feel that I need to be extra cautious when using it since it has this structural weakness.

60th street is ... the best, to be honest.

This is really really interesting. I've been trying to work out how 60th is better (and more expensive) than other crafters, as I know they are dearly loved on LHC. eadwine, what is it that makes them the best in your eyes? And DweamGoiL is it the integrity of the forks that swing it for you, or the lightness?

eadwine
June 2nd, 2017, 10:37 AM
They are not thick, yet super sturdy. And they held my floop hair, and that is saying something ;)

Dendra
June 2nd, 2017, 10:58 AM
That does sound good. My hair is slippery and floppy yet fine so I think they'd be good for me. Shame they're so so rare :pray:

LongCurlyTress
June 2nd, 2017, 11:04 AM
This is really really interesting. I've been trying to work out how 60th is better (and more expensive) than other crafters, as I know they are dearly loved on LHC. eadwine, what is it that makes them the best in your eyes? And DweamGoiL is it the integrity of the forks that swing it for you, or the lightness?

Back in the day (a few months ago when my hair was TBL... don't ask...LOL!) Anyways, I was able to luckily secure a 60th Street hairfork in a trade, wondering what all the commotion was about... well, it is very true... they are lightweight, the tines are thinner yet sturdy and they hold like a charm. Other companies such as Good Village Woodworks, although I love the owner, the weight of the wood along with my very thick iii hair... was too much for my head and gave me headaches. I finally traded my GVW hairfork for something else. There really is method to the 60th Street madness... others may disagree, but that was my experience. In fact, my 60th street is one of the few hairtoys I can smoosh into my smooshy sort of cinnamon bun now that my hair is short... at shoulder length and it will hold it!! :p

DweamGoiL
June 2nd, 2017, 11:04 AM
TBH, I first purchased 60th Street because of the coloration. It took me a while to buy one because they kept disappearing like hotcakes from the shop and I am not a huge fan of curved tops. The style and length I liked never seemed to ever be available for purchase. I ended up buying some off the swap board. Now for me, I don't profess them as 'the best', but very very good. I do like their style of tine, they have great hold, it is a quality product, and I like the pretty colors. For me, weight is not so much an issue, but I do certainly appreciate that they are very lightweight. They have no down-side in my book, but I do like to have different styles of forks in different materials. I will also mention that the way they seal their dymonwood also shows no color degradation over time. I have a few forks from GVW, and the dymondwood has changed over time. After a lot of research, this is a photosynthetic reaction that if finished properly, should not occur...so you be the judge. Do you want the color on your fork to last a year or two or for as long as you own it? In this case, you get what you pay for.

Other makers I like (for prettiness and craftsmanship) Schnitzstube, Crockett Mountain (for acrylics), and YevheniiaShop. If we are talking strict work-horse forks, Grahtoe, Jeterforks, Baerreis, and these guys over at Alentejoazul.

jennareid
June 2nd, 2017, 11:28 AM
I have one of their olive wood forks too and I love it (posted about it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=142229))

It holds rock solid and the wood is beautiful

Dendra
June 2nd, 2017, 11:48 AM
Back in the day (a few months ago when my hair was TBL... don't ask...LOL!) Anyways, I was able to luckily secure a 60th Street hairfork in a trade, wondering what all the commotion was about... well, it is very true... they are lightweight, the tines are thinner yet sturdy and they hold like a charm. Other companies such as Good Village Woodworks, although I love the owner, the weight of the wood along with my very thick iii hair... was too much for my head and gave me headaches. I finally traded my GVW hairfork for something else. There really is method to the 60th Street madness... others may disagree, but that was my experience. In fact, my 60th street is one of the few hairtoys I can smoosh into my smooshy sort of cinnamon bun now that my hair is short... at shoulder length and it will hold it!! :p

Fascinating. This is just the kind of info I need! Can I ask, is your 60th fork made of dymondwood or natural wood?

TBH, I first purchased 60th Street because of the coloration. It took me a while to buy one because they kept disappearing like hotcakes from the shop and I am not a huge fan of curved tops. The style and length I liked never seemed to ever be available for purchase. I ended up buying some off the swap board. Now for me, I don't profess them as 'the best', but very very good. I do like their style of tine, they have great hold, it is a quality product, and I like the pretty colors. For me, weight is not so much an issue, but I do certainly appreciate that they are very lightweight. They have no down-side in my book, but I do like to have different styles of forks in different materials. I will also mention that the way they seal their dymonwood also shows no color degradation over time. I have a few forks from GVW, and the dymondwood has changed over time. After a lot of research, this is a photosynthetic reaction that if finished properly, should not occur...so you be the judge. Do you want the color on your fork to last a year or two or for as long as you own it? In this case, you get what you pay for.

Other makers I like (for prettiness and craftsmanship) Schnitzstube, Crockett Mountain (for acrylics), and YevheniiaShop. If we are talking strict work-horse forks, Grahtoe, Jeterforks, Baerreis, and these guys over at Alentejoazul.

I really like the look of Baerreis and Jeterforks too. And thank you for your observations re the dymondwood forks. I'm too chicken to buy dymondwood because I'm so sensitive that I think I'd be the kind of person to get skin irritation. Which is a shame as it is lightweight and waterproof!

Sorry for hijacking this thread about the lovely Alentejoazul products shudder:

eadwine
June 2nd, 2017, 11:54 AM
On Dymondwood: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=42281

DweamGoiL
June 2nd, 2017, 02:04 PM
I have one of their olive wood forks too and I love it (posted about it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=142229))

It holds rock solid and the wood is beautiful

I'm sorry, jennareid. I didn't check to see if there was an existing thread. I was just so excited! btw, the fork looks AMAZING on you!!!

LongCurlyTress
June 2nd, 2017, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=Dendra;3415908]Fascinating. This is just the kind of info I need! Can I ask, is your 60th fork made of dymondwood or natural wood?

I am pretty sure my 60th Street hairfork is dymondwood- 4 prong/4.5 inch total length. I do not use it in wet hair though, only dry hair. I also love Over the Hawaiian Moon for Jim's aluminum forks. My fav is his 4 inch total length --2 prong curved fork with a rhinestone at the top. :) And Crockett Mountain acrylic forks... the two prong forks work great for me since they are lighter in weight --I use it in wet hair. :)

Dendra
June 3rd, 2017, 05:59 AM
Oooh thank you for the HOTM recommendation! I just looked him up, he's got some lovely stuff in the store. He has some shipping restrictions so I hope he posts to England!

Do you choose not to wear your dymondwood in wet hair so as to protect it, or is it because it would be too heavy?

LongCurlyTress
June 3rd, 2017, 10:17 AM
Oooh thank you for the HOTM recommendation! I just looked him up, he's got some lovely stuff in the store. He has some shipping restrictions so I hope he posts to England!

Do you choose not to wear your dymondwood in wet hair so as to protect it, or is it because it would be too heavy?

Mostly to protect it... even though dymondwood is supposed to be able to deal with moisture from damp hair, I already ruined another wooden hairfork from using it in wet hair, so I learned my lesson. The aluminum and acrylic forks are virtually indesctuctible and love wet /damp hair!! :)

Dendra
June 3rd, 2017, 11:19 AM
Mostly to protect it... even though dymondwood is supposed to be able to deal with moisture from damp hair, I already ruined another wooden hairfork from using it in wet hair, so I learned my lesson. The aluminum and acrylic forks are virtually indesctuctible and love wet /damp hair!! :)

:D that's good to know. I do like the look of the aluminium forks anywho.

DweamGoiL
June 3rd, 2017, 11:40 AM
OK, time to bring this discussion back on track - I also like some of the 2 prong forks Alentejoazul has in their shop now. That style really works well for my hair. Too many hairtoys...decisions, decisions :hmm:

Ligeia Noire
March 21st, 2019, 05:50 PM
I had one of their forks on my favourites for quite a while... today I asked them if they made any with 5 inch tines and she said that the one I wanted is actually five inches... So I just went ahead and bought it. I don't know if she means that she has some others in stock with longer tines because I told her the one listed says four something and she went ahead and measured and said nope 5. So yeah I am excited because it comes from Portugal and it is one of our national trees. The wood grain is just beautiful in the pictures. So, fingers crossed that it works and that the tines are really five inches....

milosmomma
March 21st, 2019, 06:34 PM
Oooo Ligeia that's exciting. I love this shop and cant wait to see your fork. I only have one "the claw" I think it's called and the grain is just beautiful. I'm glad it's your home country because shipping made me nervous when it was taking so long. I got worried it was never going to come!

Ligeia Noire
March 21st, 2019, 06:37 PM
It will probably take a while too because I live overseas at the moment so... I do not think she is Portuguese though because of her name but that is not important, they look beautiful.

milosmomma
March 21st, 2019, 06:50 PM
Ah, I see. Hopefully you wont be waiting too long! Well you motivated me to dig out the good ol' claw and snap some pictures. Hopefully more people will catch on to these lovely hair toys (and jewelry etc the she offers) They may have come a little blurry but you get the idea of how beautiful the grain is. I dont wear it as much as I should just because I wouldn't want to ruin it! I thought about clear coating it with acrylic spray but haven't committed.

https://i.imgur.com/jNodFY6l.jpg
Just the fork in all of it's beauty.
https://i.imgur.com/cvt4vB8l.jpg
And in a cinnabun, one of 2 buns I can do :lol:

I love the amount of headcurve this guy has too, perfect for my taste. Definitely needs to be in my normal toy rotation but I get spoiled with the indestructable metals and acrylics!

Ligeia Noire
March 21st, 2019, 06:54 PM
it is stunning, is it heavy?

milosmomma
March 21st, 2019, 07:01 PM
Thank you, no very light. My 3 prong ebony(from elsewhere) is much heavier than this wood.

Ligeia Noire
March 21st, 2019, 07:05 PM
Oh that is very good to know, thank you for sharing the pictures too. How long did the parcel take to reach you?

milosmomma
March 21st, 2019, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure, I went and checked my transaction history on etsy to see when the purchase date vs when I left a review which is always the same exact day I receive something :lol: but I'm having a hard time finding my review. I'm going to guess about three weeks. I am in the US, NY to be exact so I'm sure it will vary based on your location. It was worth the wait and I was so happy when I found it in my mailbox.

Ligeia Noire
March 21st, 2019, 08:44 PM
Thank you for taking the time to check. It will probably be around the same amount of time. Can't wait.

Ligeia Noire
March 30th, 2019, 06:42 PM
And my fork just came today, very well accommodated in the little box, it arrived way earlier than expected.

It looks quite good, the colour is lighter than expected but the grain is gorgeous, the tines are indeed 5 inches, even though it looks small, it holds quite nicely, it is super light and it kind of drowns in my bun, so I tried to position it more towards the center of the bun.
I intend to buy more in the future, I love the curve, it really feels and looks fantastic, some shots... pardon the braid shred...

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36293&d=1553992024

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36301&d=1553992298

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36300&d=1553992277

Nineteenbirds
March 30th, 2019, 10:14 PM
OMG I love her earrings. Thanks for posting this!

Ligeia Noire
March 30th, 2019, 10:16 PM
She is very talented.

milosmomma
March 31st, 2019, 02:13 PM
Beautiful! It's like the big sister to my fork :) The grain is just outstanding as well. And it does seem to have come quickly for you! Love your action shots as always.

Ligeia Noire
March 31st, 2019, 02:49 PM
Yes. It is beautiful. I intend on buying more from them. And thank you.