PDA

View Full Version : Possible way to tone down henna?

Hatsumomo
October 24th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Okay so I'm fairly bored of having hennaed hair (love the colour, too much hair for me to cope with the upkeep!) and I'm growing out my natural hair but I'm fed up with the huge difference between the ash of my natural hair and the red henna so I was wondering if a honey lightening treatment with amla added for ash tones would calm the red down a bit.

If anyone has tried something similar, I'd love to hear from you! I had a look in the henna removal thread and yeah, I've given up hope on removing it without removing half of my hair at the same time so I'm curious about this possibility.

mellie
October 24th, 2008, 05:44 AM
You might want to try a katam gloss. When I used amla by itself it didn't seem to have any color effect. But katam gloss over your henna should tone it down some. Maybe check out the Katam/Buxus thread.

Hatsumomo
October 24th, 2008, 06:05 AM
You might want to try a katam gloss. When I used amla by itself it didn't seem to have any color effect. But katam gloss over your henna should tone it down some. Maybe check out the Katam/Buxus thread.

Thanks for the reply:)

I had a look at Buxus on the Mehandi site before and I was worried about the darkening effect. My roots are coming in medium brown and even dark blonde in places and I really want to keep that. I've only got two inches of roots but I don't want to mess with them lol.

Would a cassia blend with buxus keep the darkening to a minimum?

mellie
October 24th, 2008, 06:28 AM
If you just did a gloss, that shouldn't impart too much color. You could add cassia too just to be safe. The katam fades pretty quick, just to let you know!

ChloeDharma
October 24th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the reply:)

I had a look at Buxus on the Mehandi site before and I was worried about the darkening effect. My roots are coming in medium brown and even dark blonde in places and I really want to keep that. I've only got two inches of roots but I don't want to mess with them lol.

Would a cassia blend with buxus keep the darkening to a minimum?

Just in case you don't know, a gloss is where it's diluted with conditioner or yogurt.
Now see what happens when you don't listen to Sophias warnings hun?? I know i already did the "i told you so" thing but i can't resist another chance :p
Amla i found toned down my red a bit but it was/is mixed in with other herbs so i'm not sure how much it tones it down....and it only did it initially not enough to remove the red of even very faded henna on me.
Pity the upkeep is too much for you, your hair did look lovely after being henna'd.

Hatsumomo
October 24th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Just in case you don't know, a gloss is where it's diluted with conditioner or yogurt.
Now see what happens when you don't listen to Sophias warnings hun?? I know i already did the "i told you so" thing but i can't resist another chance :p
Amla i found toned down my red a bit but it was/is mixed in with other herbs so i'm not sure how much it tones it down....and it only did it initially not enough to remove the red of even very faded henna on me.
Pity the upkeep is too much for you, your hair did look lovely after being henna'd.

Lol, I knew you'd appear at some point;)!

I *do* like the red, I'm just too lazy to maintain a colour more than twice so it's time to go back to my natural colour until it's grey-killing time.

ChloeDharma
October 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Lol, I knew you'd appear at some point;)!

I *do* like the red, I'm just too lazy to maintain a colour more than twice so it's time to go back to my natural colour until it's grey-killing time.

Haha am i that predictable?? :p

I know what you mean hun, i tend to henna only maybe twice a year now as i procrastinate so much with it, but i quite like how it looks as it fades and grows out so that works out ok for me.