PDA

View Full Version : Hair Accessories and Carry-On Luggage

Decoy24601
March 24th, 2017, 11:43 AM
I'll be taking a plane today and want to take a ficcare, a few amish pins, two 6.5" hair sticks, and a couple spin pins in my carry-on luggage (I won't be checking any bags). Has anyone ever had any issues doing this? I'm just paranoid they'll end up not letting me take my hair accessories on the plane.

lithostoic
March 24th, 2017, 11:45 AM
I don't see why they would have an issue. I fly yearly.

Decoy24601
March 24th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I don't see why they would have an issue. I fly yearly.

Thanks, I wasn't sure because as a kid they almost didn't let me carry knitting needles on the plane. This was only a few years after 9/11 though.

lithostoic
March 24th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I wasn't sure because as a kid they almost didn't let me carry knitting needles on the plane. This was only a few years after 9/11 though.

I totally understand. I flew in '05 and they made my 3 year old cousin empty her suitcase because of a can of Pringles *eyeroll*

Reyn127
March 24th, 2017, 12:11 PM
You should be ok, as long as the hair sticks aren't metal and pointy. I have a plastic/resin hair stick that I am wearing right now in the airport, they didn't say anything at all.

And yeah, they were really strict, I flew in like 2005 and they took away my pencil out of my carry on. But they aren't quite so strict these days.

Chromis
March 24th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Yep, I travel carry-on only and have no trouble. I had to fish a Ficcare out once to show them because they were very confused looking at the x-ray at why I had only one high heeled shoe. They were even more confused when they realized it was not in fact a shoe and when I told them that was my only luggage because they were then shocked I didn't have any other shoes than what I was wearing! I guess the idea of packing light is odd to airport employees?

I do not take anything super pointy or super expensive. I like to use a wooden fork or stick in a braided bun for the flying. Nothing to set off the metal detector and then I can let the braid down in the seat so my bun isn't hitting the headrest. I also like doing coronet braids with tiny claw clips, but right now my braid ends at a weird spot. Those are my absolute favs though.

My unsolicited advice is to dress up slightly. I find I am treated much, much better and then "fancy" hair things will not seem out of place either. Jersey dresses are super comfy and always look more dressy than a t-shirt and jeans.

MidnightMoon
March 24th, 2017, 01:22 PM
I've put metal forks, flexi8s, spins and such and had no problem. Maybe the US/Canada is more paranoid about it, but to/from Latin America and Europe it's been no problem so far.

Decoy24601
March 24th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Well, I just went through airport security and had no issues. Thanks everyone!

Mlarmour
March 24th, 2017, 07:46 PM
They should be find, but I would bag them together in case they want another/closer look at them. I do this when I travel hand luggage only with anything that may be an issue, I bag it all together so its easy for me to grab and give to them to look at.

pandabarrier
March 24th, 2017, 08:01 PM
I travelled within US with hair sticks, including one aluminum stick in the carry on luggage. I packed them with the pins, hair forks, ties, hair bands, brush, comb, hair dryer, so probably it all looked like hair-related accessories in the x-ray.

pailin
March 24th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Glad you had no problems!
I just carried my entire collection back from the US last month; mostly in carry-on (especially the expensive ones) except for the stabby stuff. And I agree with Chromis- dressing a little nicer never hurts, especially with immigration officers.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 25th, 2017, 01:42 AM
I put all my hair stuff in the bag with my makeup and other beauty items so if they're curious, they'll kind of figure out what they are. I usually only bring wood though, I think the only metal I've brought with me were spin pins when I flew to Chicago. Never had an issue and I usually look pretty bummy.

I was curious about it too myself but I've flown a few times now since using LHC so usually for me, I try to go through security more and see what bothers them and only bring cheap stuff just in case someone gives me crap. But I've yet to have to throw out any cheap hair stuff so! So far so good. Glad you got through.