PDA

View Full Version : Are these things ok? How do I bun with this?

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 24th, 2017, 01:01 AM
So I bought these elastic ribbon hair ties...?
Like these: https://www.teenpurple.com/gallery/the-ribbon-dress-a-classic-fashion-trend-picture/The-ribbon-dress-a-classic-fashion-trend.jpg

So far, they dont seem to rip out more hair than spin pins or clips do.
But I am having a really hard time getting my hair to stay in a bun with these!
I have been doing buns like I use to with regular hair elastics but they slip right out unless i triple tie it around, but when I do it that tight i either get a headache or rip hair out eventually.
I tried doing cinnabun and buns i would do with sticks but they dont work, they fall out easily

Not sure what else to try!
I was using sticks for awhile but I am starting to grow out of the look...
What with the glasses and plain face, I just feel like a librarian and im a little over it lol
Any bun tutorials someone could link me to?? :) PLEASE!

Simsy
March 24th, 2017, 01:18 AM
Have you tried combining buns and braids for something different? Is there anything specific you are wanting to do or anything you really don't want to do anymore?

I can't do buns with just hair ties, so I'm not going to attempt troubleshooting that side of things.

Tosca
March 24th, 2017, 02:02 AM
With the FOE (fold over elastic, which is what those hairties are made from and is normally used for underwear) hairties, you can usually pull the knot a bit tighter, to give yourself a bit more length.

Regarding the 'librarian' look, I sometimes wear headbands like these https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHHpUcHXa4vA53glhanDs5oI34DpnCt aqhqoNnWVYGR3kKAKAP witn various decorations on them, like this https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyr7gFv0VxtHAmrCYRSyKeImPctIIky QvcA-oFQtr6-d8Ceg2b this https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/uZYlPm__LXCl3WXO17S6sKJ4AtfgI_DJXPuZU_1yLYALYdVoxB ZOR0MzhFYlRc0YyqCVp3GZT8SZVZOY8gBkKzJVUpgMPS1tvJBw NWGcna792S2Xva_j55jcPoTHr7EMpunyxZrWHgA0NWTxYs_xCn GS-sO2mrcWyReE0WXTdAVA4P2rSgLUw4yb3BzSPdK0vQ1UIq7AR9w vCqkQR71i-xfSJ_GaRlPv0zlxE3w=w384-h384-nc or this https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRae9y5d9fG1cJD7Hnoi1qCmEXr8ZNd0 fOQsg8jZhoX6LWBzmB3iHhfjv7X It's pretty easy to decorate your own with a hot glue gun too. I find wearing decorated headbands softens the 'slicked back hair' thing that sometimes happens when I put my hair up.

KittyBird
March 24th, 2017, 03:14 AM
I wouldn't use those for buns. I tried using them when I did a ponytail before bunning with a stick or clip, or to secure the ends of the braid when I did braided buns, and the knot on the elastic always got tangled up in my hair. I always ended up accidentally ripping out hairs when I used those.

Arctic
March 24th, 2017, 04:46 AM
I have never tried those elastics, and can't do elastics buns anymore because they pull (elastic buns! :spitting: ) but I too know the problem you talk about.

My solution has been not so much focusing on what kind of bun I make, but how to style my hair so, that it looks different from the front. The front is what people, including yourself see, most people out there can never tell apart the tens and tens of different bun variations. A bun is a bun is a bun. :D Often here on LHC people are (or seem to be) only concerned how their hair looks from behind. (That being said, I always check that my hair looks good from every angle.)

I play with parts, I cut heavy face framing layers I can wear in different ways (including away from my face), I have been getting back into wearing dangly earrings, I do edwardian rolls, twists, rope- and other accent braids in the front, I change the placement of the bun (so high it's visible from the front, mid high, low, side [my current favourite]).

I have few stretchy headbands (those hard headbands don't work with my glasses and head shape though I used them when I was younger), some scarves, and few small decorative clips, both sparkly and minimalistic.

I use heatless curls and waves in general try to come up with different variations. I don't know crap ton of different buns, twist or braids, but what I do know I am pretty creative with (keeping in mind I don't have ton of hair, I work with what I have).

I also like to wear side braids now that I can, and other fully braided styles that look different from the front are heidi braids and crown braids.

Maybe you could try something like this too. Try different things that you can see from the front, see what suits your face and start using those. If one variation of accent braid don't suit you there might well be 4 more that will suit you.

hayheadsbird
March 24th, 2017, 04:59 AM
I use those for tying off a braid end, nonidea if you can bun with them though.

lapushka
March 24th, 2017, 05:05 AM
They're non-damaging, unless you get a hair caught in the knot, but I think the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

Why not use a fork or a stick? I think that is the *least* damaging!

If your hair is long enough to bun (is it when it doesn't stay even with the elastic?), then it's long enough for a fork or a stick.

It might be a case of just needing to practice more, or needing more length.

Hay_jules
March 24th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Tosca and Arctic, really great tips ladies. I need to expand my hair toy collection.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 24th, 2017, 11:34 AM
They're non-damaging, unless you get a hair caught in the knot, but I think the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

Why not use a fork or a stick? I think that is the *least* damaging!

If your hair is long enough to bun (is it when it doesn't stay even with the elastic?), then it's long enough for a fork or a stick.

It might be a case of just needing to practice more, or needing more length.

Like I said in my post.... I don't like using sticks because I feel like a librarian. The buns required for my hair to stay up in a bun whether with a stick or a elastic are TIGHT i.e.: I look fridgied because it pulls all my hair tightly back and eventually the style will make my head hurt.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 24th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Have you tried combining buns and braids for something different? Is there anything specific you are wanting to do or anything you really don't want to do anymore?

I can't do buns with just hair ties, so I'm not going to attempt troubleshooting that side of things.

I just really wanted to be able to bun with these. I don't like braids, my hair is too short and I don't like the way it looks in a braid.

youngtundra
March 24th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Like these: https://www.teenpurple.com/gallery/the-ribbon-dress-a-classic-fashion-trend-picture/The-ribbon-dress-a-classic-fashion-trend.jpg

I have been doing buns like I use to with regular hair elastics but they slip right out unless i triple tie it around, but when I do it that tight i either get a headache or rip hair out eventually.
I tried doing cinnabun and buns i would do with sticks but they dont work, they fall out easily

What with the glasses and plain face, I just feel like a librarian and im a little over it lol

Here's some photo inspiration from the bun thread!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=98504

youngtundra
March 24th, 2017, 11:48 AM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682

here's one with photos AND tutorials :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 24th, 2017, 05:08 PM
I have never tried those elastics, and can't do elastics buns anymore because they pull (elastic buns! :spitting: ) but I too know the problem you talk about.

My solution has been not so much focusing on what kind of bun I make, but how to style my hair so, that it looks different from the front. The front is what people, including yourself see, most people out there can never tell apart the tens and tens of different bun variations. A bun is a bun is a bun. :D Often here on LHC people are (or seem to be) only concerned how their hair looks from behind. (That being said, I always check that my hair looks good from every angle.)

I play with parts, I cut heavy face framing layers I can wear in different ways (including away from my face), I have been getting back into wearing dangly earrings, I do edwardian rolls, twists, rope- and other accent braids in the front, I change the placement of the bun (so high it's visible from the front, mid high, low, side [my current favourite]).

I have few stretchy headbands (those hard headbands don't work with my glasses and head shape though I used them when I was younger), some scarves, and few small decorative clips, both sparkly and minimalistic.

I use heatless curls and waves in general try to come up with different variations. I don't know crap ton of different buns, twist or braids, but what I do know I am pretty creative with (keeping in mind I don't have ton of hair, I work with what I have).

I also like to wear side braids now that I can, and other fully braided styles that look different from the front are heidi braids and crown braids.

Maybe you could try something like this too. Try different things that you can see from the front, see what suits your face and start using those. If one variation of accent braid don't suit you there might well be 4 more that will suit you.

I might keep my bangs then and quit growing them out...
my problem with braids is not only do I look bad in them, but they give me headaches usually AND my hair is so slippery, it slips out of them usually... plus they cut my length in half so I look 12. Lol. So I avoid.

Anje
March 24th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't use them to hold buns, for the same reason I wouldn't use elastics to hold buns -- it puts all the weight of the bun on just that bit of peripheral hair, usually coming from your forehead. Good way to get headaches, breakage, maybe even traction alopecia if you're unlucky with it. If sticks aren't your thing, try holding your buns with forks or hairpins or clips. Something, anything that will cause many parts of your scalp to support the bun instead of your hairline.

Before I joined LHC, I wore mostly ponytails. Similar place, etc. etc. all the things you shouldn't do. Sure, I had some breakage and the ever-present wispies all around my hairline, but it was when I noticed I had a section of hair about an inch wide that simply was broken off right where it would be supporting most of the weight of my pony, that I realized that my hair could not handle it. Other than that, my hair was fine-ish but never subjected to heat, not dyed, nothing. Ponytails alone had an entire section of my hair simply sheared off from having to support a bit of not-even-BSL low-end-of-ii thickness hair.

yvsa
March 25th, 2017, 07:53 AM
In this bun tutorial the same sort of hairtie is being used; the actual tutorial starts around 3:40 minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX4LFtAeY1M

rusika1
March 25th, 2017, 10:29 AM
I only use those to tie off braids. They aren't even very comfortable when used for a pony tail; I don't think they're strong enough to hold up a bun without pulling. If you don't like the look of sticks you should probably try amish pins/upins/ballet hair pins.

PillowForts17
March 25th, 2017, 12:01 PM
I use these for my pony tales. They're way too loose for me to attempt any kind of bun or anything. But I know they're a lot less damaging for me and they give me less headaches when I have my hair up all day at work.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 25th, 2017, 12:17 PM
I only use those to tie off braids. They aren't even very comfortable when used for a pony tail; I don't think they're strong enough to hold up a bun without pulling. If you don't like the look of sticks you should probably try amish pins/upins/ballet hair pins.

They're comfortable for me when used with a pony tail, but my buns are too heavy and eventually slip out because of their own weight lol I don't like pony tails because my ends are exposed thus causing me to pull and pick at my ends. I've been wanting to buy those but I'm trying to not buy MORE hair toys...

rusika1
March 25th, 2017, 07:45 PM
They're comfortable for me when used with a pony tail, but my buns are too heavy and eventually slip out because of their own weight lol I don't like pony tails because my ends are exposed thus causing me to pull and pick at my ends. I've been wanting to buy those but I'm trying to not buy MORE hair toys...

I don't think they're toys really, they're hair tools. Strictly utilitarian, not designed to be pretty, or really even seen at all. (does that make it easier to convince yourself to buy some? :) ) I'd suggest a trip to Sally's for a pack of the heavier duty hairpins to see if they're something you'd use. They should only cost a few dollars, you can always order some of the sturdier options later.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 25th, 2017, 09:52 PM
I don't think they're toys really, they're hair tools. Strictly utilitarian, not designed to be pretty, or really even seen at all. (does that make it easier to convince yourself to buy some? :) ) I'd suggest a trip to Sally's for a pack of the heavier duty hairpins to see if they're something you'd use. They should only cost a few dollars, you can always order some of the sturdier options later.

I mean not really. I have another $300+ i need to pay for some art to get finished, just spent 550$ getting it started today, and I am a full student who just recently got a part time gig that pays pretty mediocre, and I need $3,000 for a surgery my insurance wont cover. So money is kind of very very well managed and hair toys/things are just last on my need list. :P As cheap as they are I need money for other things that I want and need much more.

Simsy
March 25th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Purely as a suggestion, would a lower bun secured with older hair sticks be an option?

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 25th, 2017, 10:38 PM
Purely as a suggestion, would a lower bun secured with older hair sticks be an option?

They dont stay in place for some reason.

Reyesuela
March 26th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Elastics aren't for bunning. They can stabilize the base but that's it. Get really sturdy U pins or spin pins.