PDA

View Full Version : Wearing hair up often - hair loss/damage?

BexArt1994
March 23rd, 2017, 07:54 AM
Would wearing your hair up in a fairly loose bun say 5 out of 7 days of the week cause hair loss or damage?

Because at the moment I keep my hair down but recently it's been tangling and I feel like for professional situations it might be more practical to put it up as loose as possible but I'm worried about the consequences.

Fia
March 23rd, 2017, 07:57 AM
My hair is bunned/braided 99% of the day (including night). If anything I lose less hair and the length is protected from mechanical damage.

Anje
March 23rd, 2017, 08:54 AM
I only ever had problems when I was using an elastic and ponytailing constantly. I had breakage around the edges in those days. Using better ways to secure my hair though, I think that wearing my hair up daily went a long way to protect it and prevent breakage.

BexArt1994
March 23rd, 2017, 09:00 AM
I only ever had problems when I was using an elastic and ponytailing constantly. I had breakage around the edges in those days. Using better ways to secure my hair though, I think that wearing my hair up daily went a long way to protect it and prevent breakage.

So would you say using, say a scrunchie, would not be good? What other things would you suggest?

MidnightMoon
March 23rd, 2017, 09:04 AM
Forks (wood, metal, plastic), hairsticks, clips (ficcare, flexi 8, jaw), pins (amish pins or the like, u pins)

Blondie926
March 23rd, 2017, 09:31 AM
I have the same question. My ends are severely damaged from years of bleach. I am growing out virgin now with roots at about nose length. I have been trying to wear my hair up to avoid manipulation damage and am currently using a scrunchie. I am worried about the hair breaking at the spot where my bun is wrapped. I currently don't have any hair sticks/forks. Should I just wear it down until I can get some less damaging hair toys?

Aredhel
March 23rd, 2017, 09:33 AM
From my experience, scrunchies are good. I'd try finding smooth scrunchies made of silk or satin so your hair doesn't get tangled or broken by fibres. I wear my hair up 90% of the time and I've found that my hair has been far more protected this way than when I wore my hair loose all the time. :)

Chromis
March 23rd, 2017, 09:46 AM
I have the same question. My ends are severely damaged from years of bleach. I am growing out virgin now with roots at about nose length. I have been trying to wear my hair up to avoid manipulation damage and am currently using a scrunchie. I am worried about the hair breaking at the spot where my bun is wrapped. I currently don't have any hair sticks/forks. Should I just wear it down until I can get some less damaging hair toys?

I got terrible damage even from soft scrunchies. I think even a braid was less damaging for me.

If you can't find hair sticks or forks locally, you might try bent double pointed metal knitting needles, shorter fat knitting needles can work as sticks too or short chopsticks. I have found plain wooden hairsticks sometimes at beading shops. Best selection is on-line, but that can get you off to a good start! You might be able to find u-pins or spin pins at a beauty store or a good drugstore and those are less damaging than bobby pins. There are also a few buns that don't need to be held up with anything, like the Modified Ellingwoman.

- Lizzy -
March 23rd, 2017, 10:17 AM
I used to wear my hair up everyday in a loose "Messy" type bun or pony tail (Usually high on the head but sometimes low) and yes I experienced a lot of breakage. I have recently stopped and I was told by someone that it was what I was using to put up my hair with. I was using regular hair bands/pony tail holders that have black threads covering a rubber band thingy (very common hair band ) which can break off the hairs I guess. I know have a bunch of little hairs from the breakage that are in different short lengths.
I think it can be damaging to do styles up if they are to tight but otherwise its fine.

MidnightMoon
March 23rd, 2017, 11:29 AM
I think it depends on your hair type too. My hair is really fine, so if I make a loose updo it will 1. look too messy, and not a casual messy but unkempt, hairs crazy in every direction
2. strands sticking out will end up in my face/zippers/collar, and eventually tangle
I need my updos tight and neat, unlike people with coarser hair whom I've seen make looser updos and manage hairs and clips to stay in place
Ah, and my fine hair can't hold heavier clips on its own, either, I need the tightness to keep toys in place

hobbitlocks
March 23rd, 2017, 12:30 PM
Claw clips are another option for holding up a bun or a folded braid. I know other people have reported problems with their hair getting caught in the spring, but I have never noticed that for me. I can buy then at my grocery store -- sometimes I have to file off a rough edge on one of the teeth, but a few minutes with a nail file isn't that bad for a 50cent hair toy! You could also try spin pins, which are widely available, at least where I live.

Kake
March 23rd, 2017, 02:21 PM
Claw clips are another option for holding up a bun or a folded braid. I know other people have reported problems with their hair getting caught in the spring, but I have never noticed that for me. I can buy then at my grocery store -- sometimes I have to file off a rough edge on one of the teeth, but a few minutes with a nail file isn't that bad for a 50cent hair toy! You could also try spin pins, which are widely available, at least where I live.

A little nail varnish on the spring would be a possible answer for anyone who worries about snagging.

March 23rd, 2017, 02:22 PM
Loose buns are very protective. Braids too. I used ribbon for buns with no damage, hairsticks are better. I had damage from ponytails and right now I'm not sure if I had damage from tight braided bun :/. If it's loose it will be ok.

Astromecha
March 23rd, 2017, 02:40 PM
I'm always freaked out when I take my hair down after a while for a wash and I pull out four days worth of shed hair! But generally my hair thanks me for it. I used to do the thing with elastic where you take a chunk of hair and each hand and pull them away from each other so the elastic tightens.... Blegh. I cringe now

lapushka
March 24th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Would wearing your hair up in a fairly loose bun say 5 out of 7 days of the week cause hair loss or damage?

Because at the moment I keep my hair down but recently it's been tangling and I feel like for professional situations it might be more practical to put it up as loose as possible but I'm worried about the consequences.

I have my hair down for sleeping (so it can "breathe"), and when I'm up it goes into a LWB at the same spot *every day*. I have been doing it like this for a few years now, and no I don't have damage.