PDA

View Full Version : When its time for a cutting.

Synester
March 22nd, 2017, 10:45 PM
My hair is a few inches away from waist length, im so close I can taste it. But my ends are brittle and breaking and snapping left and right. They are dry no matter how I care for them but cutting off the damage would set me back so much (my hair grows very slowly) Would it be wise and in my best interest to cut my hair? Anyone else dealing with this problem?

Getting close to length goals only to be set back by damaged ends that need to go.
its extremely frustrating. I dont think im at my terminal length yet...but my ends have gotten so weak the longer my hair has gotten.

spidermom
March 22nd, 2017, 10:48 PM
Regular small trims always made my hair gain length better. Otherwise it would break off faster than it could grow.

Synester
March 22nd, 2017, 11:10 PM
I feel like I have a good inch to inch and a half that could be chopped but its such a set back. But its for the greater good maybe??? I like to microtrim the ends every few months ever so lightly. I feel like its not enough.

paulownia
March 23rd, 2017, 01:31 AM
I would cut it :) damage can creep up higher. If will grow out eventually.
And would definitely recommend using silicone serum to protect the ends.

_fred_
March 23rd, 2017, 02:02 AM
Congratulations getting so close to waist length :) I'm going to add my voice to everyone above - best to have a trim now, so you don't risk losing even more of your length to breakage. I hope that once the dry ends are gone, it'll feel like it grows faster for you.

Siri
March 23rd, 2017, 02:38 AM
I trim mine when the ends get like that. Dried out brittle ends even at the length I want is really not like achieving my goal length for me. It's kind of like a false measurement in a way.

Moonfall
March 23rd, 2017, 03:16 AM
I've been struggling with the same thing lately. My hair has been getting thinner as I grew past BSL, and I really don't want to cut back to BSL because I am desperate for longer hair than that. I don't like my hair getting thinner, of course, but I can stand it up to a certain point. I got past that point, however, as it didn't appear to be one length anymore (and I want it to be that). I struggled with it for months, and yesterday I finally found the courage to let my mum take off an inch or so. My ends are still thin but not as thin as before. And they feel much better :) So yes, I know it can be hard to make that decision. And I'm definitely not telling you to do the same thing, but I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one feeling like this!

sk89
March 23rd, 2017, 06:11 AM
I hear you! I have been stuck at BSL for so long because every time my hair try to grow beyond that, the ends become wispy and dry, and just blah in general. Damaged ends will do you no good though, so it is better to get ride of those ends before the damage travels up. And don't worry, it is just hair, it will grow :)

lapushka
March 23rd, 2017, 07:24 AM
If it's *that* damaged (white dots, splits?), then I would trim, *but* if there aren't white dots or splits and it just feels dry, I would try deep conditioner or an oil rinse, or even a silicone-serum at the ends if you don't already use silicones. It might just desperately be in need of moisture, I mean: keeping moisture in there.

Kaelee
March 23rd, 2017, 07:33 AM
I have the same problem with my ends, and I'm considering trimming. The problem I have is, I don't like blunt hemlines (because it's harder to get the ends to stay in a bun) so I'm just S&Ding and oiling like crazy.

March 23rd, 2017, 02:10 PM
If it's split trim if just dry oil them like crazy. My ends always looked fine after heavy oiling.

Synester
March 23rd, 2017, 04:26 PM
ugh yes there are little white dots and if i tug it snaps right off. its awful. I just feel like im being pushed back even further if I cut it. Its like a viscous cycle of grow and cut and grow and cut. And im going to get a bunch of silicone stuff. And I totally need a cut ugh. as much as I really dont want to.

Alissalocks
March 23rd, 2017, 04:41 PM
I also agree with a trim. Do 1.5"... if your hair grows the average rate, that's only 3 or so months of a "setback" so it's not too bad. Even if yours grows slower, 6 months "setback" might set you UP for better growth retention next. :)

Synester
March 23rd, 2017, 06:23 PM
i'll just cut 2 inches and keep telling myself its to stay cooler in the brutal central florida heat :'[ lol!!!

CrowningGlory
March 23rd, 2017, 07:44 PM
i'll just cut 2 inches and keep telling myself its to stay cooler in the brutal central florida heat :'[ lol!!!

Unless the damage is really, really bad, I'd only trim half that amount. I've noticed on others with obviously split ends that a trim of half what I think they need going on how their hair looks, makes the world of difference. Remove one inch and you may remove well over half the damage since the worst splits and dryness may be at the very tips. Baby the new ends and if in a month or so you think you need to take that other inch, do so. By then, it won't seem so short because you will have extra growing time under your belt.

Deborah
March 23rd, 2017, 10:27 PM

It sounds like you know your hair needs this. Just do it. It will grow back, only it will be healthier and nicer as you are learning how to treat it better now. I always love the way my hair feels after a nice trim like you are describing.