PDA

View Full Version : my hair ends make a screachy sound? what does this indicate?

pamela_07
March 22nd, 2017, 11:43 AM
Hi ladies, So When I touch my hair ends they make a scratchy sound,like rough,but I don't see any split ends at all, they look in good condition, but they feel rough to the touch, how can I fix this? any remedies or tips!

Rebel Rebel
March 22nd, 2017, 11:50 AM
Like a crunchy sound? Dry ends maybe? I have this from previous damage. Aside from cutting, the only thing that's helps me is oiling or conditioning my hair. I just try to treat my ends the best I can to avoid a major trim. I'm sure others will have some good advice.

pamela_07
March 22nd, 2017, 01:16 PM
Yes, exactly, like a crunchy sound. :(I don't want to cut, I just want my hair to grow super long, this has been challenging, since I do have highlights, but it's my dream to have long hair.maybe microtrimming once a month can still preserve my lenght.

samanthaa
March 22nd, 2017, 01:24 PM
Sounds like you might need to clarify and then do an SMT: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&page=222

Don't cut yet. Reassess after you've done an SMT. A tiny bit of oil on dampened ends may help as well.

likelikepenny
March 22nd, 2017, 01:41 PM
It could just be that your hair is course, depending on the sound.

Rebel Rebel
March 22nd, 2017, 02:09 PM
On the positive side, you say you don't have splits and it "looks" in good condition so maybe you're doing alright with your hair. I'd say the highlights are probably affecting the crunchiness of your hair as it grows and the older hair on the ends has a harder time staying moisturized and smooth. There's no doubt the highlights are causing some kind of damage even if it's minimal. Sometimes even when I oil and condition, I still hear that sound on my damaged ends. I think micro trims or infrequent trimming is the way to go to retain length on damaged ends. In my opinion, if you keep highlighting you might always have those kind of ends but be able to manage them with treatments to protect and smooth them.

pamela_07
March 25th, 2017, 05:10 PM
On the positive side, you say you don't have splits and it "looks" in good condition so maybe you're doing alright with your hair. I'd say the highlights are probably affecting the crunchiness of your hair as it grows and the older hair on the ends has a harder time staying moisturized and smooth. There's no doubt the highlights are causing some kind of damage even if it's minimal. Sometimes even when I oil and condition, I still hear that sound on my damaged ends. I think micro trims or infrequent trimming is the way to go to retain length on damaged ends. In my opinion, if you keep highlighting you might always have those kind of ends but be able to manage them with treatments to protect and smooth them.

Hi, thank you, yes indeed, I am planning to stop doing/retouching highlights and just let my hair breathe for a long time!