PDA

View Full Version : Hair and pollen

- Lizzy -
March 21st, 2017, 05:51 PM
I was outside today for the first time in forever because the sun was finally out..... and I had to mow the lawn. Anyways while I was outside I could smell the beginnings of pollen in the air, and I started to get a headache. And it made me think back to when I had read an article about how pollen attaches itself to your hair when you go outside, and can make you have worse allergy symptoms through out the day. So 1. Im wondering is this true and 2. If it is how should you manage it? I want to go outside more this spring if I can, but I dont wash my hair on a schedule of like every other day or once a week. I usually do it between every 3-6 days. I dont want to over wash my hair. Any advice?

- Lizzy -
March 21st, 2017, 05:52 PM
I mean it makes sense that your hair would pick up pollen because it picks up dirt and dust right?

Aredhel
March 21st, 2017, 06:26 PM
You could do CO or WO washes in between your big shampoo washes just to make sure the pollen doesn't linger in your hair. I'd probably mostly do it when you're exhibiting allergic reactions, and/or after being in an environment that you know is pollen heavy.

Obsidian
March 21st, 2017, 06:27 PM
I've heard that too. I would bun then cover it with a buff. Buff's are fantastic, so many uses. I can't imagine not having one.

Nique1202
March 21st, 2017, 07:16 PM
The looser your hair and the more space the strands have to get the wind blown through them, the more pollen your hair is likely to pick up. My best suggestions:

-Always wear a hat of some sort (or a buff, if that's your thing, but I can't keep them on my head) to stop the hair near the scalp and that frames your face from picking too much up (good practice for sun protection anyway!)
-Keep your hair braided or properly bunned, not ponytailed or loose, during your allergy season. For bonus protection, cover the bun or braid with something (bun under hat, braid tucked into shirt or up under the hat as well). No hair elastic buns, they let parts of the hair fall out too easily. I'd recommend spin pins or a short hair stick for the task.

nekosan
March 21st, 2017, 07:43 PM
1) oh my goodness, yes, this is extremely true.
2) I usually wash my hair immediately after gardening/hiking. If I don't want to do that, I bun it up and cover it with a clean scarf, which immediately gets thrown in the wash with the clothes I was wearing afterwards. (I'm allergic to a wide range of pollens.) Down in a braid collects too much pollen for my later comfort; I have to completely cover my hair to not be miserable later.

lithostoic
March 21st, 2017, 07:48 PM
Lately, I've been water rinsing every day or two. The pollen levels have been literally off the charts. My hair looks so greasy but I generally keep it French braided these days so it doesn't matter too much. When your allergies are as bad as mine it's worth not having clean-looking hair every day.

rags
March 21st, 2017, 07:51 PM
I have horrific allergies to a wide range of pollens. During pollen season where I live, if I am out my hair is up, and often covered in a scarf. If it isn't covered, I'll just do a water rinse that night in between shampoos. My allergist told me to do this, as I get desperately ill during the spring and fall and don't need any more help than I already have to get sick during those times! LOL

Anje
March 21st, 2017, 07:52 PM
I don't have troubles with outdoor allergies, but I cover my head when I mow the lawn. I always end up dusty and grungy from that task, and it takes at least 2 hours so I'm at risk of burning my scalp. I'd wear a broad-brimmed hat except that it never fit over the earmuffs I also choose to wear. (Yeah, big yard and slow lawnmower. :shrug:)

pandabarrier
March 22nd, 2017, 04:46 AM
I had horrible spring allergies last year, for the first time in my life. I thought about wearing a face mask on my way to work to avoid the pollen this year, but I didn't think about covering my hair. Thanks for the tips!

Tosca
March 22nd, 2017, 04:49 AM
When I wear a headscarf/covering, I use a light cotton rectangular scarf, and either put it on like the second method in this link http://m.wikihow.com/Put-on-a-Hijab or hold it closed with a hand or pin/brooch like in the left hand image in this link http://ashtaryonline.com/chador/lg/04.jpg

lapushka
March 22nd, 2017, 09:15 AM
When I sit outside, I don't even notice it, but then I don't have allergies. I think as long as you don't have allergies, it's fine. I still wash my hair weekly in the spring/summer.