PDA

View Full Version : My long hair shedding for 12 years

sheddy1
March 20th, 2017, 10:29 PM
I'm 60 now and I don't know the fate of my hair I prefer long. As in at least to my bra strap in back. I do not look good in short hair. I have tried all different herbs, vitamins, tea and vinegar rinses, HRT, DHT-reducing shampoos, and been to the doctor numerous times for thyroid check, always normal. It doesn't shed between shampoos but when I wash and style it, oh, man. And the strands are finer now that I'm older. I tried coloring it and that lent a little volume. I don't know what more to do. And it's wavy now, which I can't stand on me and so I flatiron it, which involves more pulling on my hair, and so more strands fall.

The only thing left is Minoxidil, but I know of one person doing that for years and she is going bald as an egg on top anyway, bless her. She really tried.

Anyone have any ideas?

hayheadsbird
March 21st, 2017, 01:49 AM
Is there a change in your pony tail circumference? Most of my shed takes place when I wash, I think it's pretty common as the weight of the water takes out the hair due to shed.

Simsy
March 21st, 2017, 04:44 AM
When you say "wash and style" are you meaning a dampen and product. Or a full wash, conditioner, and style?

It might be the heat, it might be the routine, it might be old damage, it might just be the end of the life cycle for those strands. You will loose some hair every day, usually somewhere around 100 strands or thereabouts.

Gentlest fix is to just deal with what you have. Fine hair has its perks, you may be able to ease up on the handling and waves are an easy way of getting volume without much effort. So you have that going for you.

Most practical will depend on you. What's your routine, and hair type so we can help with more specific options?

lapushka
March 21st, 2017, 05:04 AM
Is there a change in your pony tail circumference? Most of my shed takes place when I wash, I think it's pretty common as the weight of the water takes out the hair due to shed.

Yes, this, has your hair thinned out, at all over the years, or has it remained the same thickness?

Shedding is quite normal and just part of growing hair.

Ve
March 21st, 2017, 10:08 AM
I had a thinning problem which I now resolved to be connected with hormones. Over the last year I have taken Biosil and I add crushed birth control pills in my shampoo (doctors recommend this in Costa Rica). Has worked miracles for growth and thickness.