PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning Questions

BexArt1994
March 20th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Just some questions about normal conditioning and deep conditioning.

1: How much normal conditioner do you use and how much deep conditioner do you use?
2. How long do you leave normal conditioner in for and how long do you leave deep conditioner in for?
3. Do you find it helps to put on a shower cap or hair turban while you have the conditioner in or does it make no difference?
4. How long does it roughly take you to rinse out your conditioner properly?

Thanks to anyone who replies!

lapushka
March 20th, 2017, 09:11 AM
I double condition after shampooing. My hair gets wrung out and then conditioner is applied to the hair, just enough to saturate. Every conditioner, whether it be a mask or not gets 2 min. I don't have time for more. There's only so much a conditioner can do, so it's important to get a good one (you need to test that out some). I once tested with a few conditioners (leaving it in longer) and found more time than 2/3 min. doesn't give more benefits - at all. It rinses out pretty fluidly too.

It's up to you to leave it in for longer, but I sincerely doubt that leaving it more than 30 min. or even overnight (which it is not designed for) will do much more.

bparnell75
March 20th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Do you think this helps with tangling? Doing more conditioning? This is the only thing I don' t like about having long hair..the tangles..AND I DO NOT WEAR MY HAIR DOWN. i TRIED THAT AND WOW WERE THERE TANGLES.

Hairkay
March 20th, 2017, 11:29 AM
I only deep condition with DIY hair masks for 10-25 minutes, with a shower cap and beanie on, once a week. My sebum will take care of the rest of the week.

sarahthegemini
March 20th, 2017, 11:31 AM

1: How much normal conditioner do you use and how much deep conditioner do you use?
2. How long do you leave normal conditioner in for and how long do you leave deep conditioner in for?
3. Do you find it helps to put on a shower cap or hair turban while you have the conditioner in or does it make no difference?

1) I use a blob about the size of a 50p piece. Don't use deep conditioner.
2) I leave it on for however long it takes to wash my face and body. So less than 2 minutes.
3) Makes mo difference
4) About 30 seconds.

Anje
March 20th, 2017, 11:49 AM
How much conditioner definitely depends on length and thickness of hair. I used more conditioner when I was CO washing, too.

1) Typically, my classic-length ii hair (which tapered quite a bit) got a modest palmful of conditioner if I was only conditioning from about nape downward. It probably took another palmful if I wanted to get the scalp too. (My 1" long hair gets a blob the size of a quarter or so, rubbed between then hands before being spread onto it. Yes, I condition my fuzzy head!)
2) I would put that in, stick all my hair in a plastic shower cap, and leave it in for as long as all my other showerly duties took, so maybe 5 minutes most of the time.
3) The shower cap made a huge difference, but that difference was in keeping the conditioner from getting rinsed out and for keeping my hair out of the way while I sudsed myself. You could clip your hair up too, though I always felt like this squeezed out more conditioner than I liked.
4) Rinsing takes maybe 2-3 minutes? The trick for me is to rinse til the slime is gone, but not the slip. Usually that's a pretty big window, so it's not difficult to hit. Again, this is the sort of thing that'll vary a lot with thickness, and many curlies will want to rinse less because they want some conditioner left in.

Never used a different deep conditioner for normal showers. Occasionally/Rarely I'd do a deep treatment like an SMT, but that would get slathered on and then I'd go browse the internet of something while it soaked in. Obviously, shower caps are necessary there too, because you don't want the stuff drying on your hair!

truepeacenik
March 20th, 2017, 12:13 PM

I deep condition as a specific treatment/process, not as a specific product.

1- my bottle gets a pump, so two pumps of conditioner while hair is dry before shampooing (it's the can't be bothered to pre poo oil/no time to pre poo oil method). Once shampooed, probably another two to three pumps for almost knee hair.
2- time? Wildly inconsistent with the dry application. Three minutes to whoops, I forgot three hours. In shower, it goes on hair after the water is pressed out, water gets turned off, I scrub everywhere else for a few minutes, then rinse it all at once. This might speed up on cold days.
3- I'll cover the hair if I'm doing other things. Hate drips.
4- I actually leave a wee bit on the ends, but with high pressure in the shower, I can get it all rinsed out in a minute, max. Such as rinsing before swimming (the saline pool has a no oils rule)

Zebra Fish
March 20th, 2017, 03:00 PM
I normally use conditiner, once in a month or two I use a commercial hair mask. Rarely I deep oil (1-2 x/year) - than I leave it as long as appropriate at the time being. Every now and then I do a concotion myself, or an SMT - that goes same as mask.

Normal - just as much as needed to cover hair ears down. Mask - a little bit more, I try to "massage" it a bit in and than add a bit more over.

Normal - 2-3 min, or how long I do rest of the washing. Mask - I try to keep it for 20mins.

3. Do you find it helps to put on a shower cap or hair turban while you have the cond.pitioner in or does it make no difference?
Yes, as usual when I use a mask I'm not in shower (I dunno what to do 20min there :p ). So to keep it warm and not dripping.

Under a minute.

never.eden
March 20th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I have wavy hair that doesn't enjoy the hair brush, it becomes a rat's nest, so I only detangle with hands when needed and after shower use a wide tooth comb. (I mention this because it kind of explains my routine)

1. I always use a conditioning mask the first thing after dampening my hair. It's quite thick, I put it in the palm of my hand, maybe like two tablespoons or so. After shampooing I apply normal conditioner, maybe a bit more than I used the mask. both of these products are silicone free so I need a bit more to have enough slip to detangle.

2. I leave the conditioning mask for about 5-10 minutes and normal conditioner for about 5.

3. I have tried that for a couple of times but I didn't see any difference.

4. About a minute or so.

Cg
March 20th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Do you think this helps with tangling? Doing more conditioning? This is the only thing I don' t like about having long hair..the tangles..AND I DO NOT WEAR MY HAIR DOWN. i TRIED THAT AND WOW WERE THERE TANGLES.

Yes, thorough conditioning helps with tangles. My silvers still tangle much more readily than the blonde hairs because the texture differs.

lapushka
March 20th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Yes, thorough conditioning helps with tangles. My silvers still tangle much more readily than the blonde hairs because the texture differs.

Yes definitely, that and a *good* conditioner! Preferably one for dry, damaged hair, as those are the most conditioning on the market. Silicones help too. You do have to be careful that it doesn't weigh thinner hair down, so it's a bit of trial and error.

Lauraes
March 20th, 2017, 04:54 PM
The same amount of each - a lot (giant handfuls).
I leave normal conditioner in for roughly five minutes, and deep conditioner in for 10 minutes.
It helps me with oils, so I figure it helps with conditioner, too. I really only do it to keep the conditioner off of my neck and back, though.
A few minutes tops.

MoonRabbit
March 20th, 2017, 05:11 PM
-I tend to always pump more conditioner than my hair needs, about a palm full. I really need to work on finding my right amount. I have a 12oz (340g) jar of deep treatment that last for about 5 months and I use that once a week/bi weekly depending on how my hair feels. It's a very thick conditioner so a little goes a long way.

-3-5 minutes probably. I just leave it on while I do the rest of my shower routine. 50 minutes for my deep treat.

-I use a shower cap and hot towel during out of the shower deep treatments. When I use a in the shower quick treatment or regular conditioner I don't use a cap. I found that bunching my hair up put more conditioner on my scalp and made my hair grease faster.

- 3-5 minutes, I keep my hair parted on both sides. Rinse one side under the stream while I finger comb until the project in fully washed out. Do the same to the other side then flip my hair to the back and rinse again. Then I use my hands to lift all my hair at the nape and back of my head to get a direct flow on the back of my scalp. I have an issue of conditioner not washing out properly in that area. It might take me a little longer to rinse because I hate finding when my hair is dry I didn't get the conditioner out. That puts me in a terrible mood.

Dark40
March 20th, 2017, 07:41 PM
1. Yes, I use a regular conditioner on my hair, and leave it in for 5 minutes. It really helps my hair out a lot.
2. Deep conditioners I use twice a week, and I let it set in for 15 minutes without a towel or a showercap.

ExpectoPatronum
March 20th, 2017, 09:25 PM

1. It's hard to give a specific amount. I use however much it takes for all of my hair to feel like it has conditioner. I use the same amount for both normal and deep. This varies depending on the conditioner. I tend to divide my hair in half and apply some to each half. I'd say each half gets half a golf ball sized amount?
2. Everything gets left in the same amount of time which is usually however long it takes me to wash my body, face, etc. If I decide to shave my legs, it gets left in a little longer. Rinsing out conditioner is the last thing I do in the shower. Overall, I'd say probably no more than 5 minutes most days.
3. Never tried it but my hair feels good enough without using a turban or shower cap.
4. Not very long. My conditioners rinse out easily.

- Lizzy -
March 21st, 2017, 10:44 AM
Any conditioner recommendations that wont break the bank?
My conditioner is watery and doesn't make my hair feel "Great" or anything