PDA

View Full Version : Used velcro rollers;Complete fail. Ripped out hair, no curl, questioning my judgement

- Lizzy -
March 19th, 2017, 05:04 PM
shudder: ok so ive tried velcro rollers before (FAILED) and I know they cant be damaging for your hair but I wanted to try it again, being extra carful. So it failed again (didn't curl at all but maybe my hair was a little damp or something) and when I took it out there was quit a bit of hair ripping into the curler. So im kinda worried. I think I might do a mask or something (I gotta wash my hair anyways because its now a frizzy mess with some goopy moose in it) WHY DID I DO THIS? How does anyone have success with using these?

spidermom
March 19th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Velcro rollers are the devil.

MoonRabbit
March 19th, 2017, 06:02 PM
You can use perm papers or cut up some tissue paper into squares and wrap it around the roller with your hair so your hair wont stick to the velcro.

Anje
March 19th, 2017, 06:54 PM
Don't do velcro rollers; they're​ evil for long hair. I've heard good things about magnetic rollers. Caruso steam sponge rollers get some love around here -- I had some and thought they seemed moisturizing and effective, but I'm not practiced at the whole roller thing and found it wasn't for me.

hobbitlocks
March 19th, 2017, 09:36 PM
I really like to use Velcro rollers as a no-heat way to style the shorter pieces around my face - so if you have any of those you might still be able to use them.

spirals
March 19th, 2017, 09:59 PM
I have the Caruso rollers and they work for a style that doesn't need to last for a few days. My hair comes out really shiny; I love that.
If I want a true roller set that will last for days I wear one overnight. IMO sponge curlers are the best. However, they have those hard plastic bits. My solution: toss the plastic and put each sponge inside a knee-high nylon stocking. Fasten by tying like rag curlers. The great thing is that any size curler will fit in a knee-high. I use medium ones because I like vintage styles but larger ones would give nice beachy waves or volume.

pili
March 20th, 2017, 12:04 AM
Velcro rollers are of the devil. :no:

lapushka
March 20th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Try pillow-soft rollers. They're soft and cushiony.

Like these:
https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/77/09/11/9/conair-styling-essentials-pillow-soft-rollers-18-ct-pack-of-2_4695309.jpg

Or, these regular sponge rollers:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jv3nI0G229k/So2RberR3DI/AAAAAAAACdk/DhkjmyvHqGU/s400/IMG_2660.JPG

You can get them just about anywhere.

I agree velcro rollers are fine in shorter hair, but long? No way.

Carolyn
March 20th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Here's what you do...take your Velcro rollers and throw them in the trash can. They are not safe for long hair. The devil as others have said. If you don't want to trash them you could donate them. Live and learn!

Hay_jules
March 20th, 2017, 08:41 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your velcro roller experience, i have no advice, just a story to share. I had a terrible nightmare experience with them too. It was Christmas Eve morning and I had been undergoing chemo and in the shower that morning I noticed my hair was starting to fall out. I thought I'd put in velcro rollers so it could get me through the holidays (my hair aways held curls well). When i pulled out the rollers chunks of hair were coming off on each one. I felt like Gollum by the end of it. It's still one of the more traumatic things I've experienced in my life.

Groovy Granny
March 20th, 2017, 08:44 AM
I bought my velcros when I was growing out my hair ....but never used them.

Now my silver is so fine it would stick to it like cotton fluff and definitely would tear removing them; plus my hair is too long now.

I forgot they are still on my shelf and will be tossed today :p

At this point, just a damp top knot or even a cinnamon bun would give me adequate wurls....so I won't even bother getting curlers :shrug:

Aredhel
March 20th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Ahhh yes the velcro rollers. I got one stuck right by my scalp when back when I was at classic. I lost quite a bit of hair trying to remove it. :( Same thing happened to me with a round brush...definitely not fine hair friendly items.

proo
March 20th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Lately I've used toilet paper rolls covered with 1 sheet of paper
Comb sections nice and straight, mist lightly with water, coat ends in very light oil of choice
It's possible to roll these quite tightly from the ends up
Secure with clips or small claws
Cover with invisible hair net

These dry fairly quickly for me, about 2 hours, as it's pretty much a dry set and results have been surprisingly great;
Somehow the dry paper, damp hair , oil and smooth rolling are a magic alchemy
Smooth and soft
And repurposed

Groovy Granny
March 20th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Lately I've used toilet paper rolls covered with 1 sheet of paper
Comb sections nice and straight, mist lightly with water, coat ends in very light oil of choice
It's possible to roll these quite tightly from the ends up
Secure with clips or small claws
Cover with invisible hair net

These dry fairly quickly for me, about 2 hours, as it's pretty much a dry set and results have been surprisingly great;
Somehow the dry paper, damp hair , oil and smooth rolling are a magic alchemy
Smooth and soft
And repurposed

Now that is a great idea! :thumbsup:
And I still have the large clips I had bought for my velcro rollers (which are now history :p )

Llama
March 20th, 2017, 06:35 PM
I agree that velcro rollers are terrible- they got stuck and pulled out lots of hair the few times I tried.

OhSuzi
March 21st, 2017, 09:51 AM
Ive watched tips when people curl their hair that you should curl it in alternate directions – to stop the curls just clumping together to make one massive ringlet.

However my hair has a natural slight anti clockwise curl all over – I have not tried for a long while as my hair is only just nearly growing long enough to be get its curliness and length back – but Id imagine any curl done in a clock wise direction will just go wavy straight & fall out? – not the hair just the curl.

likelikepenny
March 21st, 2017, 11:24 AM
curly hair + velcro = disaster

- Lizzy -
March 21st, 2017, 11:24 AM
I bought my velcros when I was growing out my hair ....but never used them.

Now my silver is so fine it would stick to it like cotton fluff and definitely would tear removing them; plus my hair is too long now.

I forgot they are still on my shelf and will be tossed today :p

At this point, just a damp top knot or even a cinnamon bun would give me adequate wurls....so I won't even bother getting curlers :shrug:

Mine are my Mothers from back in the day. I dont know how she managed to have any hair through high school if she used these more than once. I had to CUT a roller in half to get it out of my hair!!!!

hayheadsbird
March 21st, 2017, 12:26 PM
....decides never to try Velcro rollers....

Groovy Granny
March 21st, 2017, 05:25 PM
Mine are my Mothers from back in the day. I dont know how she managed to have any hair through high school if she used these more than once. I had to CUT a roller in half to get it out of my hair!!!!

Oh wow!
I bought mine a couple years ago, and a preliminary try on my silver showed how much velcro potential/harm was possible.

Back in the 60's and 70's I used to use soup cans with a top knot ponytail :rollin:

Arctic
March 21st, 2017, 05:29 PM
One of the old skool LHCers (sorry, don't remember who, maybe Teacherbear?) said to never put anything in your hair that comes out with hairs in it. That's a good rule of thumb, and certainly will rule out velcro rollers. I used to love them on shorter hair (and before LHC) but not anyore.

JennyPenny
June 17th, 2017, 12:46 AM
I think Velcro rollers are fine for curling your bangs, but not for long hair. I tried them once and it was a disaster. My hair was tangled up almost instantly and it was so hard to get the curler out. I think foam rollers or socks are much gentler.

Simsy
June 17th, 2017, 02:45 AM
One of the old skool LHCers (sorry, don't remember who, maybe Teacherbear?) said to never put anything in your hair that comes out with hairs in it. That's a good rule of thumb, and certainly will rule out velcro rollers. I used to love them on shorter hair (and before LHC) but not anyore.

Sounds like an intelligent rule of thumb.

Dendra
June 17th, 2017, 04:23 AM
Agghh I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I tried using them back in school and they did absolutely nothing for me - no waves/curls, they just made sections of my hair stick up at the roots at awkward angles.

And I do remember ripping and pain.