PDA

View Full Version : Frizzy Braiding Problems

Azhtabak
March 19th, 2017, 10:55 AM
I've started trying more complex braids than just english/rope braids, in particular 4-strand braids, and I've been having a lot of problems trying to separate strands and braid properly on account of how frizzy my hair tends to be; all the strands have a tendency to cling to and pick up stray hairs from each other, especially towards the end of the strands; if I'm holding near the top to be able to braid there properly, my ends get very "poofy" and all sort of flow together. (I'm also having general tension problems, which I suspect are related due to the amount of fussing I have to do to sort out strands.)

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this? (Assuming I haven't completely failed at explaining myself.)

Aredhel
March 19th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Sometimes I like to add some light oil to my length before braiding just to give my hair a bit of slip to avoid tangling at the ends. It helps me keep my braid strands together. When I try to braid with dry hair, I'd hear my hair snapping and breaking as hairs would get tangled together.

Plus it's also a good idea to run your hand through the length of each braid strand as you're braiding them, so that you can make sure that the strands are staying in their own lanes. :)

Azhtabak
March 19th, 2017, 01:19 PM
You mention running a hand down the strand while braiding; I've seen this advice in a few places, but I've never been quite certain how to do it without dropping strands/completely losing tension?

Aredhel
March 19th, 2017, 02:22 PM
When you're running your hand down the one strand to smooth/detangle, just make sure your other hand that's holding the remaining strands are gripping those strands firmly and snug, so that those strands basically kinda pin the loose strand in one place. The loose strand should be able to keep its own tension anyway since you're still holding it. If that makes sense. :confused:

butterfly_dream
March 19th, 2017, 02:33 PM
I add a coney serum before braiding. It helps a lot to avoid tangling.

Groovy Granny
March 19th, 2017, 02:53 PM
I add a coney serum before braiding. It helps a lot to avoid tangling.

I'll have to try that because my fine silver is very wispy/tangly when I try to French braid, and oil is just too heavy.
I recently fell in love with the LITE Biosilk serum, so that may help.

English braids I have no issue with :shrug:

It is the tiny sectioned braids I stay away from because it feels awful while I am doing it, and I end up losing tension in spots if I try to untangle.

I love Torrin Paige's Faux French Braid :thumbsup:

And sometimes I start with a barrette/half up and braid from there in thicker sections.

Pumpkin3826
December 8th, 2017, 10:07 AM
I love wearing just a single French braid down my back or two French braids but with in a few hours I look like Cynthia from Malcolm in the Middle. If anyone remembers her, her hair was always falling out of the braids. I think in a few episodes she had one braid that was almost all messy and the other one was just a pony tail.. that is pretty much how mine looks by the end of a work day. Lol. I will go to the restroom and wet my hand's then unbraid my hair from the base of my neck down and re-braid just the ends. All while getting my hands a little wet so it helps slick down the ends. But this is a trick that does not last all day.. most time after re-braiding once of twice through out the day I just end up embracing the messy frizzy braid look. :cool:

Reyn127
December 8th, 2017, 12:19 PM
This might sound strange but I THINK it helps, a bit.... I kind of "bounce" the strands after I've moved one into place. Kind of holding the base of your ponytail and flicking the end, but just with more strands. It seems to kind of shift the strands up and out of the tangle that wants to start forming.

As far as tension, I would recommend keeping your braiding fingers as close to your head as possible. Anchor your hand to your head if it helps, don't let it pull away unnecessarily. And do TUG on your hair a bit, pull it in to the center of where you are currently braiding, where you want the line of the braid to lie on your head, if that makes sense.

Also, it is way, way easier to braid when you hair has zero tangles to begin with. Trying to untangle something big in the middle of separating a strand at the back of your head makes it really hard to continue.

Also, patience and perseverance! Your first few times probably won't be perfect but you will be improving, and one day, you'll surprise yourself with a beautiful, perfect braid!

Hairkay
December 8th, 2017, 12:20 PM
When you're running your hand down the one strand to smooth/detangle, just make sure your other hand that's holding the remaining strands are gripping those strands firmly and snug, so that those strands basically kinda pin the loose strand in one place. The loose strand should be able to keep its own tension anyway since you're still holding it. If that makes sense. :confused:

This is what I do because if I don't then I'd soon end up with matted hair. It is essential to keep smoothing and detangling each plait/braid strand as you go with type 3 and 4 hair.