PDA

View Full Version : No Measure Club/Challenge

likelikepenny
March 19th, 2017, 05:18 AM
Hi everyone! I have a confession to make, I'm addicted to measuring :couch:.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this problem, but I wanted to create a thread for it, as well as a thread for those who don't measure. Here, we can give support for those struggling with their measuring addiction and celebrate those who don't.

A few questions to get this thread started:

- Why do you want to stop measuring as frequently?
- How long do you want to go without measure? Monthly, indefinitely?
- What is your hair goal length? Body marker of course :P

Aredhel
March 19th, 2017, 05:32 AM
I'm not a fan of measuring simply because I'm lazy. :p I measure once in a blue moon, usually if someone asks me how long it measures. But I pretty much avoid measuring altogether. I find markers to be more useful anyway, since the length of hair against markers on different people will vary based on height, so markers make more sense to me. My hair is 35" and at BCL (butt crack), but on a taller person, 35" could be waist length. :)

My current goal is classic, although my long term goal is definitely knee.

likelikepenny
March 19th, 2017, 05:45 AM
I find body markers to be more effective as well. I'm 4'10 and classic is only 35" on me, so I know a lot about the varying heights and body shapes :). I mainly measure just to assure myself that my hair is actually growing, but I tend to get a little (a lot) obsessive about it.

lapushka
March 19th, 2017, 06:02 AM
I stopped measuring a long time ago. If time goes by and you don't trim (or very minimally), your hair will eventually get there. It's the "letting go" part that you have to teach yourself.

HairPlease
March 19th, 2017, 06:27 AM
I stopped measuring a long time ago. If time goes by and you don't trim (or very minimally), your hair will eventually get there. It's the "letting go" part that you have to teach yourself.

Extremely wise words.

I don't measure anymore, either. A watched pot doesn't boil.

school of fish
March 19th, 2017, 06:39 AM
... I mainly measure just to assure myself that my hair is actually growing, but I tend to get a little (a lot) obsessive about it.

I used to do this too, for the same reason - measuring somewhat obsessively as a kind of confirmation that it was growing ;) It didn't make it grow any faster, but somehow it felt reassuring to keep seeing familiar numbers on the tape.

Interestingly, my compulsion to measure ceased when I hit my goal length - just all of a sudden I didn't feel the need to verify or affirm growth. I still have plenty of layers to grow out, but I never measured those, only went by body markers. So although my growth journey isn't over, I don't feel the need to track it via measuring tape anymore.

The only time I measure length now is just before my monthly microtrim, so I know roughly how much to take off :) My growth rate is very consistent and my hair is very straight, so I generally know what number I'm going to see on the tape, haha!

I find it fascinating that my daily measuring just kind of dropped off like that, but then these types of behaviours aren't exactly rooted in cold hard logic :p I guess in my case the need for the 'security blanket' dissolved once I reached the number/body number I was waiting to see on the main length? :)

WillOTree
March 19th, 2017, 07:07 AM
If I keep it up I don't really have the urge to measure anymore because the length is not very visible when I look in the mirror, ya know? And when it's down I distract myself with a deep treatment or an oiling. Seems to work for me at least. :shrug:

likelikepenny
March 19th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I used to do this too, for the same reason - measuring somewhat obsessively as a kind of confirmation that it was growing ;) It didn't make it grow any faster, but somehow it felt reassuring to keep seeing familiar numbers on the tape.

Interestingly, my compulsion to measure ceased when I hit my goal length - just all of a sudden I didn't feel the need to verify or affirm growth. I still have plenty of layers to grow out, but I never measured those, only went by body markers. So although my growth journey isn't over, I don't feel the need to track it via measuring tape anymore.

The only time I measure length now is just before my monthly microtrim, so I know roughly how much to take off :) My growth rate is very consistent and my hair is very straight, so I generally know what number I'm going to see on the tape, haha!

I find it fascinating that my daily measuring just kind of dropped off like that, but then these types of behaviours aren't exactly rooted in cold hard logic :p I guess in my case the need for the 'security blanket' dissolved once I reached the number/body number I was waiting to see on the main length? :)

I'm keep hoping this will happen to me. Around the same time I feel like it's finally "long". It's decently long (waist) but shrinkage and layers keeps me wanting to grow longer as soon as possible. I know I need to stop, but for right now, I'm trying to only measure once a month.

ephemeri
March 19th, 2017, 07:27 AM
This is a great idea for a thread.

At first when I decided to grow, and my hair was at shoulder, I was so anxious for my hair to get longer that I did measure fairly frequently. The annoying thing about having not-straight hair (with layers, no less) and measuring frequently is that you get different lengths, even if you measure several times in a row and try to do it the same each time. I never feel like I'm capturing my actual length! And since I'm doing it with a string-like thing and then putting it up to a yard stick to get the measurement, as opposed to having flexible measuring tape draped over my head, it feels even harder to be consistent.

It's disappointing to wait a month or two months and see your roots growing in but then you measure and the number is *less* than the last time you measured!

I feel like it's more frustrating to measure than anything, so I've all but stopped doing it. I figure, the longer I wait to measure again, the longer my hair will be. :o

ETA: answers to the questions!

see above :p

not sure... maybe every 3 months vs. monthly.

my goal for this year is waist but ultimately my goal is classic now. (It used to be hip but you all know how that goes... )

pandabarrier
March 19th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Each time the measurement was slightly different and it's too much of a headache to read the tape measure. Is it 35 1/8", 35 1/2" or 35 1/4"?
3 months. Then the previous measurements and the new one will most likely be in 1" increment difference. The hair will grow anyway, right?
- What is your hair goal length?
TBL for now, I'd like to grow to terminal one day just to see how much I can grow, but what if I find it's too much work to care for longer hair?

Mrstran
March 19th, 2017, 08:55 AM
A few questions to get this thread started:

- Why do you want to stop measuring as frequently? It drives me insane!
- How long do you want to go without measure? Monthly, indefinitely? Indefinitely
- What is your hair goal length? Body marker of course :P[/QUOTE] Tailbone :)

Likelikepenny I don't think I can do it, but I'm going to give it a whirl. Oh this is going to be a huge fail. Give me less than a month.

rmani
March 19th, 2017, 09:18 AM

I don't measure either. My work schedule is too chaotic to lend itself to any sort of consistency in my personal life, including measuring on a defined schedule to track data. Also, I am the type of person who becomes bothered if milestones aren't met so when I used the data to create goals and didn't meet them for whatever reason (a trim, my hair decided to not grow as much) then I would obsess about why not and spend extra time re-evaluating my routine when perhaps it wasn't necessary and just life.

H o n є y ❤
March 19th, 2017, 01:30 PM

embee
March 19th, 2017, 02:02 PM
I don't remember the last time I measured. I did take note with amazement when I discovered I could sit on the very ends of my hair, but that was years ago. And that's about where my hair is now. Which is just fine with me.

Groovy Granny
March 19th, 2017, 02:09 PM
I have been too focused on growth lately; anxious to get back to Hip (and am finding the time passing slowly) :o

I plan to grow until the Autumnal Equinox on September 22 = 6 months no checking.
I will still check for racers on the full month though, but will try to resist a full length review re: my goal and how close I am :wink:.
I will know if I have gone beyond the length I want before then, as it will be heavy, in the way, and harder to care for.

Just brushing the Hip bone is a good length for me.
Any longer and it is too long...affecting the ease of care (arthritis), and causing scalp sensitivity/headaches.

Hairkay
March 19th, 2017, 02:12 PM
I rarely measure simply because it's a headache. Measurements will vary and shrinkage happens throughout the day. It's a waste of my time. Besides it's a nice pleasant surprise to notice one day that there has been a change in hair length.

Aredhel
March 19th, 2017, 02:14 PM
I find body markers to be more effective as well. I'm 4'10 and classic is only 35" on me, so I know a lot about the varying heights and body shapes :). I mainly measure just to assure myself that my hair is actually growing, but I tend to get a little (a lot) obsessive about it.

You could always try to stay the habit by taking monthly photos (as many people here do) to track your growth! :)

lapushka
March 19th, 2017, 02:52 PM
I rarely measure simply because it's a headache. Measurements will vary and shrinkage happens throughout the day. It's a waste of my time. Besides it's a nice pleasant surprise to notice one day that there has been a change in hair length.

Yes! It was November 2016 when I had it cut back to hip, and now suddenly it's 2 inches longer, as it's March. I honestly don't know where the time went.

likelikepenny
March 19th, 2017, 04:29 PM
You could always try to stay the habit by taking monthly photos (as many people here do) to track your growth! :)

That's included in my measuring obsession :p Mainly because it's damaging always stretching my curls for a length photo.

Aredhel
March 19th, 2017, 04:35 PM
12 times a year isn't very frequent though, would that still cause damage?

likelikepenny
March 19th, 2017, 05:03 PM
12 times a year isn't very frequent though, would that still cause damage?

Twelve times a year would be fine, but sometimes it's every week :p. It's not a large amount of damage, but I notice that when I stretch my hair to measure it, I get a little piece of breakage at the end which is kind of counterproductive.

Aredhel
March 19th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Twelve times a year would be fine, but sometimes it's every week :p. It's not a large amount of damage, but I notice that when I stretch my hair to measure it, I get a little piece of breakage at the end which is kind of counterproductive.

Ahh yes, weekly would be a smidgen too much! Perhaps it would help to try to limit yourself to taking one stretched length shot on the same day every month? :)

likelikepenny
March 19th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Ahh yes, weekly would be a smidgen too much! Perhaps it would help to try to limit yourself to taking one stretched length shot on the same day every month? :)

That's the plan! I'm next scheduled for April 1

Stub
March 19th, 2017, 09:50 PM

unheardletters
March 20th, 2017, 06:21 AM
My hair is wavy and I find it pointless to try to measure it because I get different measurements every time, up to 3" off, due to inconsistancy in my waves. So I'm stopping indefinitely. I know my measurements for certain body markers, so I can guestimate my hair length based on those markers. I don't have a goal length as I don't know how long I want to grow it out to. I'm just taking it one body marker at a time.

likelikepenny
March 25th, 2017, 06:04 AM
So I caved and measured my hair the other day. What a disappointment that it read shorter than last month. This has really solidified the fact that I want to measure by body markers only, start reaching my milestones curly, and only take photos every 2-3 months.

I know it will get easier as summer is approaching and I've been so bored this winter that I've become obsessed with my hair. Hopefully the time will fly by.

In the meantime, I've made a length check schedule that I intend to stick to as well as my no trim plan for the rest of the year.

Length check schedule with predicted lengths:

April 1 -- Stretched (Waist)
July 1 -- Stretched (Hip)
August 1 -- Curly (APL)
October 1 -- Curly (BSL)
January 1-- Curly (Waist)
March 1 -- Curly (Hip)

pandabarrier
March 25th, 2017, 07:39 AM
I felt tempted to measure my hair yesterday out of curiosity! I don't know where I placed my measuring tape (I hid it and forgot).
I'm measuring again in June, hopefully I'll find the tape by then.

pili
March 25th, 2017, 08:47 AM
So I caved and measured my hair the other day. What a disappointment that it read shorter than last month. This has really solidified the fact that I want to measure by body markers only, start reaching my milestones curly, and only take photos every 2-3 months.

I know it will get easier as summer is approaching and I've been so bored this winter that I've become obsessed with my hair. Hopefully the time will fly by.

In the meantime, I've made a length check schedule that I intend to stick to as well as my no trim plan for the rest of the year.

Length check schedule with predicted lengths:

April 1 -- Stretched (Waist)
July 1 -- Stretched (Hip)
August 1 -- Curly (APL)
October 1 -- Curly (BSL)
January 1-- Curly (Waist)
March 1 -- Curly (Hip)
You must have a fast growth rate to hit a new body marker every three months. Mine takes a year between body markers. This year I'll hit BSL curly, I'm not even thinking of waist curly until the end of next year.

likelikepenny
March 25th, 2017, 11:26 AM
You must have a fast growth rate to hit a new body marker every three months. Mine takes a year between body markers. This year I'll hit BSL curly, I'm not even thinking of waist curly until the end of next year.

My growth rate is pretty fast but I'm also 4'10 in height. from BSL on, the milestones are only about 3 inches away from each other at most.

Mrstran
March 26th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Failed. I forgot and measured. Man, I stink at this! :doh:
I don't know how you do it. It's my hubby's fault. Yeah, I'll go with that.

likelikepenny
March 27th, 2017, 01:39 AM
Failed. I forgot and measured. Man, I stink at this! :doh:
I don't know how you do it. It's my hubby's fault. Yeah, I'll go with that.

My hair is extremely curly with 15 inches of shrinkage, so measuring is largely inaccurate for me now.

Groovy Granny
March 29th, 2017, 09:12 PM
I have been too focused on growth lately; anxious to get back to Hip (and am finding the time passing slowly) :o

I plan to grow until the Autumnal Equinox on September 22 = 6 months no checking.
I will still check for racers on the full month though, but will try to resist a full length review re: my goal and how close I am :wink:.
I will know if I have gone beyond the length I want before then, as it will be heavy, in the way, and harder to care for.

Just brushing the Hip bone is a good length for me.
Any longer and it is too long...affecting the ease of care (arthritis), and causing scalp sensitivity/headaches.

Well how just a week or 2 changes things :o

Tonight...for the 2nd time in a year....I cut back from hip to waist; it is my 'sweet spot'.
Hip just feels too heavy, the length too thin/lanky, and it is annoying/in the way.

Seeing I am at goal....there is no need for measurement checks anymore :whistle:

pili
March 30th, 2017, 08:27 AM
The urge to measure and see if my spring growth spurt has started is very, very strong.

likelikepenny
March 30th, 2017, 12:40 PM
The urge to measure and see if my spring growth spurt has started is very, very strong.

I'm considering measuring in May to see if my growth rate picks up over the summer.

pili
March 31st, 2017, 07:41 AM
I'm considering measuring in May to see if my growth rate picks up over the summer.

I'm trying to limit myself to only measure on the first day of the month, instead of weekly.

hayheadsbird
March 31st, 2017, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=pili;3387792]I'm trying to limit myself to only measure on the first day of the month, instead of weekly.[/QUOTgE]

Me too, normally measure once at the end, once mid month. Trying to hold out for just the once at the end!

hayheadsbird
April 1st, 2017, 04:26 AM
On second, third and fourth thoughts, I'm going to give up the measuring tape. I've come to the conclusion for me it's just to complicated and obsessive. I've been tracking since I joined here, so almost a year, but I can't get a consistent measurement, so some months it's not grown on the tape, but I know it has really because I can see my roots, and it sits differently on my body. Ultimately I'm going for body marker lengths, not a number. It makes more sense to go by that and my erratic length shots than what a tape tells me. I'm currently just past BSL which I called in November, but new bras mean they are now sitting lower on my body, so I'm still there.
This is about the longest I've ever been. I want to enjoy the journey instead of wish it away.
So, give up indefinitely! I'm in!
Current goal is waist, which despite my hopes of waist by summer I'm thinking will more realistically be the end of the year. Ultimate goal at this point is classic, which I think will be about three years away.

likelikepenny
April 1st, 2017, 05:01 AM
On second, third and fourth thoughts, I'm going to give up the measuring tape. I've come to the conclusion for me it's just to complicated and obsessive. I've been tracking since I joined here, so almost a year, but I can't get a consistent measurement, so some months it's not grown on the tape, but I know it has really because I can see my roots, and it sits differently on my body. Ultimately I'm going for body marker lengths, not a number. It makes more sense to go by that and my erratic length shots than what a tape tells me. I'm currently just past BSL which I called in November, but new bras mean they are now sitting lower on my body, so I'm still there.
This is about the longest I've ever been. I want to enjoy the journey instead of wish it away.
So, give up indefinitely! I'm in!
Current goal is waist, which despite my hopes of waist by summer I'm thinking will more realistically be the end of the year. Ultimate goal at this point is classic, which I think will be about three years away.

Congratulations and good luck giving up the tape. You can do it :cheer:

hayheadsbird
April 1st, 2017, 05:50 AM
Congratulations and good luck giving up the tape. You can do it :cheer:

likelikepenny
April 1st, 2017, 09:25 AM
I failed again. It's the first and I always measure on the first of the month and couldn't overcome the temptation.

For the past month or so, however, I've been ending up with the same measurement, 38cm. It's almost haunting. I know my hair has grown so I just need to follow benign neglect to get to my goal.

hayheadsbird
April 1st, 2017, 09:51 AM
I failed again. It's the first and I always measure on the first of the month and couldn't overcome the temptation.

For the past month or so, however, I've been ending up with the same measurement, 38cm. It's almost haunting. I know my hair has grown so I just need to follow benign neglect to get to my goal.

I'm guessing the shrinkage from curls makes it super difficult. it's hard to measure even with my puny waves, trying to figure it out with your curls would be totally beyond me!

likelikepenny
April 1st, 2017, 11:17 AM
I'm guessing the shrinkage from curls makes it super difficult. it's hard to measure even with my puny waves, trying to figure it out with your curls would be totally beyond me!

Yes, shrinkage can be a pain at times, but I love my curls so I don't have much of a choice in this manner :D

likelikepenny
June 27th, 2017, 05:58 AM
Reviving this thread.

I've found that joining the monthly picture thread has helped tremendously with my addiction and it's an easy way to measure my curls. I'm a reformed addict now. XD

Nebulae
June 27th, 2017, 09:21 AM
That's great, likelikepenny! :D

I belong in this thread wether I like it or not because I'm just too lazy to measure :lol:
Basically, I measured out my body markers once and use those measurements as an extra reference. I much prefer body markers over inches since every body is different.

likelikepenny
June 27th, 2017, 09:32 AM
That's great, likelikepenny! :D

I belong in this thread wether I like it or not because I'm just too lazy to measure :lol:
Basically, I measured out my body markers once and use those measurements as an extra reference. I much prefer body markers over inches since every body is different.

That makes sense. With my curls, it can often feel like its not growing so pictures work for me. :)

Nebulae
June 27th, 2017, 09:47 AM
That makes sense. With my curls, it can often feel like its not growing so pictures work for me. :)

I did take pictures for a while and I did see my growth more clearly than I expected, so I do think it's a good way to track growth. Even without curls I can have trouble seeing the difference but putting pictures beside each other it's much clearer!

Aredhel
June 27th, 2017, 09:54 AM
^^ I actually have this very issue too. I can swear my hair has been 35" since freaking January, but from length shots, my hair has clearly and visibly grown several inches, from just above BCL to TBL! Or maybe I'm shrinking in height???:ponder:

likelikepenny
June 27th, 2017, 10:17 AM
^^ I actually have this very issue too. I can swear my hair has been 35" since freaking January, but from length shots, my hair has clearly and visibly grown several inches, from just above BCL to TBL! Or maybe I'm shrinking in height???:ponder:

It's very easy to get inconsistent measurements when using a measure tape. I'm now officially in the picture camp for this reason.

Aredhel
June 27th, 2017, 10:24 AM
It's very easy to get inconsistent measurements when using a measure tape. I'm now officially in the picture camp for this reason.

Yup! Especially when trying to take measurements by yourself. Any movement I make always seems to change the way the tape measure sits, which changes the measurement. :rolleyes:

likelikepenny
June 27th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Yup! Especially when trying to take measurements by yourself. Any movement I make always seems to change the way the tape measure sits, which changes the measurement. :rolleyes:

I can barely get my hair to sit correctly for pictures. Tape measurements? No way lol

Andthetalltrees
June 28th, 2017, 03:24 PM

That is the most frustrating thing about it, I find that every 3 months or so is more accurate for seeing trends/growth. But still for about 2-3 months my hair measured the same and then it suddenly it 'grew' a few inches when it looked exactly the same :confused: I knew it was a measuring mistake.

I'm keeping up with my measurements right now because that's how I'm calling BSL/MBL. But I'm getting really bad about measuring my hair all the time "Oh it feels long, GOTTA SEE THE NUMBER" :couch: I need to only do it once a month

Coucouvaya
July 5th, 2017, 10:57 AM
I first measured my hair when I discovered LHC, they were 20 inches, then I forgot about it and remembered again today having returned to the forum (4 months later). Now, it is 22 inches and I am quite happy since it seems that it has grown a bit even though it felt like I was stack to the same hair length...
I will keep track of my length in order to remind me why I shouldn't go to the hairdresser just because I am tired looking "the same".
But for this feeling to arise we should "forget" sometimes our hair and let them grow and suprise us!
So I don't know when I will measure my hair again... One day perhaps, when I will feel like they are no growing anymore...

vpatt
July 5th, 2017, 11:49 AM
How did I miss this thread!? I had made a vow not to measure until October. Of course I broke my vow. But I am trying again. I was so obsessed and could never get the same measurement twice in a row. But common sense should tell me it won't measure differently from breakfast to supper. My short term goal is waist and my next goal will be tailbone.....2 to 3 years.
I like using body markers but I think measuring is interesting, too. For instance, my friend has mid thigh length hair and it is about 42". My hair at that length will be about classic.

likelikepenny
July 5th, 2017, 01:17 PM
How did I miss this thread!? I had made a vow not to measure until October. Of course I broke my vow. But I am trying again. I was so obsessed and could never get the same measurement twice in a row. But common sense should tell me it won't measure differently from breakfast to supper. My short term goal is waist and my next goal will be tailbone.....2 to 3 years.
I like using body markers but I think measuring is interesting, too. For instance, my friend has mid thigh length hair and it is about 42". My hair at that length will be about classic.

Welcome to the club!

likelikepenny
July 5th, 2017, 01:18 PM
I first measured my hair when I discovered LHC, they were 20 inches, then I forgot about it and remembered again today having returned to the forum (4 months later). Now, it is 22 inches and I am quite happy since it seems that it has grown a bit even though it felt like I was stack to the same hair length...
I will keep track of my length in order to remind me why I shouldn't go to the hairdresser just because I am tired looking "the same".
But for this feeling to arise we should "forget" sometimes our hair and let them grow and suprise us!
So I don't know when I will measure my hair again... One day perhaps, when I will feel like they are no growing anymore...

Very sound advice

Andthetalltrees
September 25th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Reviving this thread! I've hit 25" and now past it so really measuring is no longer relevant for calling length. I keep mourning the 1/2" length lost instead of enjoying how great my hair is now, So I really need to stop measuring to help myself from getting obsessive again. I think I'm going to quit measuring for a long while since body markers are pretty straight forward from now on. We'll start with a month, I hope I can make it!

MusicalSpoons
September 26th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Ooh, good thread! I've only measured properly twice, but I went through a phase of measuring my ponytail to see how many fists long it was while wet in the shower. It started to drive me slightly crazy as although I always, always started at the same point, I'd get a slightly different measurement each time ... and on some occasions it would be half a fist shorter than the previous wash! Then I was slightly obsessive about how long my hair was on my body, which until recently was almost impossible to see by myself - and I feel so very awkward asking anyone else to measure or take photos for me.

Now I've reached FTL, and worked out a reliable way to see where my hair comes in relation to body markers, it's as if I'm finally persuaded that my hair is indeed growing, and now I don't have to keep trying to find how to see accurately how long it is so it's actually liberating, in a way.

My ultimate goal keeps getting longer and longer, as if each time I hit a milestone I can allow myself to dare think about one goal further than before. Knee is my realistic goal - it started off as my dream goal, then a possible goal, now a realistic goal - and anything else will be a bonus :)