PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever dyed their hair White/Silver/10+ higher platinum?

Synester
March 18th, 2017, 04:27 PM
If anyone has ever done these colors or something close can I hear how it went for you? Regrets? Pros/cons. Was the damage unbearable?
How did you manage it.
How long did you keep that color for?
Is it possible to keep your hair healthy with such a color?

Aredhel
March 18th, 2017, 04:36 PM
I guess the amount of damage would depend greatly on what your base colour is, and if you're bleaching virgin hair, or previously dyed hair (and also what that shade was).
I've never done this myself (I've certainly mused about it though), but I'm also curious to hear if anyone here has successfully. :)

Synester
March 18th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Yes thats my main curiosity, what was the success? how'd it go. How long did it go on for to maintain such a color for all my dye/bleach addicts lurking on here please comment I want to know.
And oh trust me im going on 3 years dye/bleach free and my virgin hair is a natural level 7 almost 8 dark ash blonde light brown color. And my stylist knows how badly I want silver hair.
But my hairs already very fine and I know it isnt WISE but you only live once.
Half of my head is virgin the bottom portion is level 8 processed.

missrandie
March 18th, 2017, 05:04 PM
I did, unintentionally, when I had a pixie. I had gotten highlights, then I bleached the rest super platinum. The highlights turned white. My hair reminded me of sweet corn, lol. Unfortunately, every time we bleached, it burned my scalp. So I quit after a while. That, and my roots were very very obvious about 5 days post bleach.

I wasn't going for health, I was going for texture. And ease of styling. And I had it! My hair didn't get greasy easily, had more grip (the damage worked in my favor), and I rocked the white blonde pixie with the nickname Tinkerbell.

When I decided to change colors, I did it in phases. First, I grew out the bleach. Once it was all cut out, then I went red. That's when I decided to grow it all out. So I grew and cut out nearly all the red. Just from the permanent dye, I still have a few ends with pale tips.

So, I have no reference for keeping long ultra bleached hair healthy. I only did it while I had it super short.

Synester
March 18th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Thankyou for that response! yeah im still unsure what I want the future of my hair to be. If i ever want to go back to funky colors again or if i want to go all virgin till im dead in the dirt lol.
are you still red btw? or still dye your hair frequently?

wispe
March 18th, 2017, 06:05 PM
If anyone has ever done these colors or something close can I hear how it went for you? Regrets? Pros/cons. Was the damage unbearable?
How did you manage it.

Yes. I had a full head of white bleached hair for... 11 months. My starting color is a light strawberry blonde (like a level 8/9? pretty light) I wore it white for a couple of months, did a purple ombre that faded silver for another while, and then went to pastel pink.

Regular deep conditioning and gentle handling is mainly how I managed it. However, near the end of that 11 months I got dumb and went too vibrant of a pink, had to re-bleach the whole head to get it out, and the next time I re-did my roots I got breakage at the place where I had overlap (where hair had been bleached 3x total). I was missing my natural color so when I discovered the breakage I figured it was time to start growing out natural again. But I could have kept on with roots-only and I don't think I'd have had another problem without double-bleaching or overlapping again. Before then my length was about as healthy as I think one can expect bleached hair to be, and I'm certainly keeping my bleached lengths around for the long haul now even though I'm growing out my color. So it's not unmanageable IMO. Definitely had to start paying attention to the products I use and tailor them for the dry/ultradamaged/bleached end of the spectrum. Protective updos are the best for keeping my ends from getting all dry and frazzled these days - they dry out easily if I wear my hair down.

So overall Pros: a whole head of platinum/ultra pastel looks really cool, my scalp was pretty dry so I could stretch washes a little further, bleached hair shows fashion colors more vibrantly and you can do pastel/silver Cons: tangling and dryness made managing it more of a hassle, and white blonde is not as flattering as my natural color is on me. Also con: maintenance factor. I had to re-dye roots ever 4-6 weeks and I had to deep condition/re-color my pink every 2-3 weeks at minimum, though usually it was 1-2x/week. It's much more easily snapped/broken and splits more than before it was bleached. Fashion colors show up better but they also wash out pretty easy (maintenance factor, again)

pastina
March 18th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Your best bet is to do a bleach bath once a week (or less) until you reach very pale yellow, and then use purple shampoo or diluted purple semi dye to tone it white.

Synester
March 18th, 2017, 06:15 PM
thankyou for the feed back! yeah overalpping can be awful i had fashion colors for 10 years but never WHITE. But back then Olaplex wasnt a thing for your bleach to prevent breakage. im curious if doing a full white/silver head with todays hair "technology" it would be more favorable. My hair already snaps easily. Might have to consider wigs for sure at this point then.
I just feel like I am in this deep pit of despair of being a dye addict and wanting to "have fun" with my hair, but lots of damage is NOT cute.

Synester
March 18th, 2017, 06:16 PM
How long have you have dyed hair pastina and what do you do to keep your hair fabulous with constant fashion color. love your profile pic btw.

pastina
March 18th, 2017, 06:32 PM
If your hair is already snapping, it's probably not the best idea to try to go white. Even if you go really slowly using diluted bleach, like I said, you'll likely just cause too much more damage. If you're ok with possibly losing length to try it, though, I'd suggest investing in a good protein conditioner, like Joico Kpak.

I've been doing my hair in various colors for about seventeen years. Thank you, haha

Eta-- I didnt answer the "what do i do" question. I use coconut oil, I use protein conditioner, I only use diluted bleach on my regrowth. I don't overlap bleach and I don't bleach out colors when I want a change.

Synester
March 18th, 2017, 06:39 PM
my hair only breaks at the bottoms where the 10 years of processing was. the rest of my head is super healthy and virgin. im just so used to having fashion colors that not having them makes me feel...bland and boring. But I do love how soft and healthy my virgin hair is, but not the color. I just feel at constant battle with myself.
"is keeping virgin hair worth it"
"is having bright fashion colors that need bleach NOT worth it?"

pastina
March 18th, 2017, 06:49 PM
I totally understand. At one point, about seven years ago, only the bottom half of my hair was dyed, so I grew it out until i had a few inches of roots, then cut it all into a bob. My hair was officially 100% virgin. And that lasted less than a year... I just didn't feel ME.

When I was a kid, I'd just change colors whenever I was so moved, I used stronger bleach than I needed (and I used it on my entire length), and my hair was kind of like straw. So I remember what "doing it wrong" looks like, lol. Going lighter slowly, using protein and coconut oil, and living with the weird in-between phases while your hair recovers *really does* protect the integrity of your hair.

Synester
March 18th, 2017, 07:19 PM
Fore sure slow is the way to go i had 3 year old jet black box dyed hair and i lifted it to a level 8 blonde in one day but it took 8 hours with olaplex. slow and steady. And i feel like if i DO grow out all my hair to virgin and dye it...was all that waiting and years growing it for all in vain? I dont feel like myself. im just trying to hear from other people how they handle this kind of stuff. thankyou for the wise words pastina!

Simsy
March 18th, 2017, 09:57 PM
I used to get silver streaks put through when I got my hair dyed red, but it was never permanent colours and only occasionally.

Rhoward
March 18th, 2017, 10:05 PM
I had platinum hair in my early 20s for about 3 years, it was APL length, I did have a brilliant hair dresser and used very expensive products, in the end I gave it up because I got sick of spending a small fortune every 3 weeks. I'm naturally a level 6.

Synester
March 18th, 2017, 10:10 PM
im 23 and im right where u were for probably wanting that super platinum BADLY lol and yes my hairstylist uses top of the line products and i EASILY spend 80-300 dollars for my hair depending on what i want. a normal dye is 80. but removing my black hair to get back to blonde was 300 YIKES. ugh lol

pastina
March 19th, 2017, 12:14 AM
By slow i mean weeks and weeks. Maybe months. Not hours lol. You can get there in a day but your hair will be trashed.

Truth be told, I'm not convinced about olaplex. It's expensive and it doesn't seem like the effects are lasting . Not that it won't help, I'm sure it can. But it's not magic.

Acid
March 19th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Its not so hard to maintain if you go the way of only bleaching the roots as it grows out, that way itll process faster (heat from the scalp) and only need to be processed once or twice depending on your virgin colour, the only problem is that takes patience but you can get it blended out to look like an intentional ombre as it grows. Bleaching the whole head will result in breakage and damage if previously coloured or fragile plus its harder to lift colour out of the length as it doesnt get as warm as the hair at the scalp which means way more bleaches. i would recommend you didnt bleach your entire head if your hairs thin and prone to breakage or do bleach baths as Pastina recommends (maybe strand test a small cut off section of your hair first and see how much it can lift while still feeling like hair and not mush or hay), mines coarse and can take a lot without frying and i still baby mine as much as possible during the process just incase

personally i only bleach my hair 4 times a year, every 3 months and ive had it for about 4-5 years now with a year before that in stages of pale blonde-orange. It results in large dark blonde roots that look even darker compared to the bright white before i dye it but i dont mind as it stops me overlapping bleach and im too lazy to touch it up often.

when i bleach i soak my hair in coconut oil overnight and braid my hair into thin rows of braids starting from a cm down from the white part of my hair leaving the roots and a bit of white hair free to avoid tiny bits of roots being mixed into the braid and having banding and unbleached patches. the rows of braids make it a lot easier for me to section when bleaching without tangling my hair (sorry this is waffley its hard to explain), i then put vaseline over the first inch of white closest to my roots to minimise overlap as much as possible and work in sections (coconut oil remains in hair during the bleaching) to coat my roots in bleach. it takes a few hours of preparation and its totally over complicated but for me as someone who bleaches their own hair, it stops me overlapping so much. doing it the regular way got me lots of broken off pieces in the back and crown of my head because im a sloppy applicator and i dont trust hair dressers to not use 40vol and fry it. i use schwarzkopf absolute platinum, it works best for me to lift with minimum damage but it might not for others and it only costs me £15 to do my hair for 3 boxes every 3 months.

i use aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor on my roots immediately after washing the bleach out with shampoo twice, i leave it on for 2 hours under a plastic bag and then ill rewash with a purple shampoo and condition it leaving that on for an hour then washing it out. i wash my hair once a week so ill use coconut oil and argan oil in small drops on the ends of my hair occasionally and ill use the reconstructor once every 2 weeks or once a month after the first month. i also dont use heat on my hair whatsoever and in hot weather ill spray my hair with heat protectant and bun it.

i guess pros:
- its my favourite hair colour so im glad i can have it for myself
-its really easy to do vibrant colours
-with the right bleaching care and a balance of protein and conditioner you can have pretty healthy hair (depending on your hairs strength to begin with, ymmv), itll never be as healthy as virgin but mine feels and moves like it was when it was virgin and its very strong and shiny with no splits.

cons:
-damage transitioning from another colour
-any oils or hair washing products with too much pigment can stain your hair, i cant use the green avocado oils for example
-swimming baths will turn your hair green tinged
-having to wear it in protective styles(?) - i dont personally, i wear mine down 90% of the time but i could imagine rubbing on shoulders and clothes at shorter lengths with bleach damage might have a much worse effect than virgin hair rubbing, im not sure though
-i can never have beautiful red hair again unless im 100% sure i want to commit to it, i found red hair that faded to orange stained so bad i had to grow it out when i was going from red to platinum. deep blood red, copper and silver blonde hair are my biggest hair loves in the entire world so it sometimes sucks that being so pale is restrictive within itself when its so good for being a base for other colours.

Zemeraldite
March 19th, 2017, 06:23 AM
I have a pixie cut and I would LOVE to experiment with different colours because it's so short so the damage wouldn't be too heartbreaking, but the problem is my natural hair colour is black, it has a lot of moisture tho (was able to grow to hip length using drug store shampoo+conditioner only, no oiling/masks etc) ... I'm not sure whether to go for it or not; is there any way of dyeing it a crazy colour without having to bleach? :c
So jealous of all the blond(e) people out there...
-Z

Zemeraldite
March 19th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Also @pastina, if your dp is your hair, I love it! :)

HairPlease
March 19th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Yes, it's possible to do it and still keep your hair relatively healthy. I was white haired for many years. Go slow with the bleach; use 10 volume developer and do a 30 minute treatment once a week. It is a very slow process, but if you rush it and use 30 vol or something harsher like that, you will fry your hair beyond repair.

Make sure it will look good on your skin tone though, it made me look awfully pink, and I have semi-olive skin!

Mrstran
March 19th, 2017, 08:32 AM
How did you manage it.

I've bleached to white a few times and those times I regret more than anything. Upkeep was easy because my natural new growth wasn't too dark and there are purple shampoos. I kept the white each time for about a year.
As for health, when I did go white, my hair looked just awful. It always got shorter with each bleaching, because I made the big mistake of going back and forth from brown to white each time. Even black a few times!

I stopped doing it once I came to the realization that I had short breakage layers all over my head and my hair just couldn't take anymore without breaking off to possibly ear length. It was done. Unable to take even one more proceeding.

The lesson here is this, if you decide to go platinum, you should only do it once. If you don't like it and wanna go back to your natural color, that is fine. Later if you decide you want to bleach it platinum again, it won't be pretty.

I haven't seen healthy hair in a few years so I guess I forgot what it looked like.

Rebel Rebel
March 19th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I have a male friend who is a natural light ash blonde with straight fine hair. He has kept his shoulder length, platinum blonde hair in very nice soft condition by only doing the roots and toning when needed. He has it professionally done by someone with a lot of experience and she is VERY careful with his fine hair. He's not trying to grow it longer than shoulder so it stays healthy with frequent trimming and he never heat styles. I think the fact that he's already a blonde and can achieve this color in a short time is key to his hair remaining healthy and shiny. How fun it would be to have platinum hair! I love this look too.

Synester
March 19th, 2017, 05:39 PM
your hair color is beautiful! and wow we have the same hair color favs. i love deep firey red coppers and icey silver white. I just dont think i can live with myself after trying sooo hard to get my hair healthy just to damage it again. but all my friends and family and boyfriend think id look stunning with silver hair. the bottom half of my hair has damage and the rest is super soft healthy virgin hair, those cons sound annoying i live in florida and swimming is a normal activity. and I love avocado oil and olive oil for my hair, id hate to stain it green. green hair is my least favorite hair color lol. thankyou for the long response! i love hearing from people who have the hair color how they feel about it and their personal pros and cons.

Youandmejin
March 22nd, 2017, 03:14 PM
Hi so I'm definitely a self-described hair dye/bleach junkie. I've done basically every color (pink, red, dark blue, green, periwinkle, lavender, grey, blonde, white, turquoise, etc) and I naturally have black Asian hair which is notoriously the most difficult to get to that perfect white. My hair is also especially resistant to bleach so it takes way more rounds than others. It took five rounds from my previously lightened hair to get it to that nice pristine base color.
Upkeep: My hair grows really fast at around two inches a month so I never do a full head look, I always ask for "shadow roots" and balayages so I don't have to continuously get touch ups.
Pros: I feel much happier and much more confident with the hair colors I want, it's a great outlet for self-expression and creativity. Certain colors make me feel certain ways like grey makes me feel chic and sophisticated while pink makes me feel bright, happy, and soft. It also makes you care more and less about your hair somehow. It's now a much more important "accessory" for me than it was when I had virgin hair but I don't take it as seriously anymore in that I'm not scared about bad dye jobs or temporary damage because at the same time I know it's just hair and incredibly easy to change and nurse back to health now, if that makes sense.
Cons: Obviously damage is unavoidable. My hair is drier and more brittle now but it's honestly not unmanageable. My ends are a little thinner but I also got layers so it could be that. And if you want to maintain a perfect white you have to use purple shampoo or your hair gets brassy fast.
Neutral: Honestly my hair care routine hasn't changed much besides the fact that I braid my hair more now because not only is it great for protection but it also shows off colors beautifully.
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions or want to see pictures or anything.

Astromecha
March 22nd, 2017, 07:08 PM
If you have a say, please generously apply coconut oil to your hair before bleaching. Like I mean soak it with coconut oil. I've helped probably 6 or 7 people now reach light blonde with minimal damage the first time. I find what hurts it the most is the touch up in a month and in most cases toner. Toner will help you get that beautiful white but it totally strips your hair bare... All in all even with Olaplex it is opening up and stripping the hair follicle and that hair will never really be the same. Just think about how much the color means to you and how much maintenance and babying you're willing to do on your hair! Literally treat your hair like fine lace. Also be wary if you have fine or thin hair- it seems this kind of hair is more prone to bleach damage. Best of luck ❤️

Dark40
April 21st, 2017, 04:41 PM
Yes, I've bleached my hair white or platinum before, and the upkeep wasn't that unbearable at all!!! And, I have relaxed hair too. Or, what you would call it chemically-treated hair. I did this back during the year 2002 up until 2004. When I was doing it was in perfect condition!! I used a really good relaxer which was, "Bantu Mild Relaxer," and the bleach I used was, "Revlon Frost And Glow Bleach Blonding Kit." After using my hair and color came out GEORGIOUS!!!! And what came in the kit was awesome!!! You get the color developer, powder bleach, and then your conditioner. My whole experience was awesome!!!! I really miss being a platinum blonde!!!!

spidermom
April 21st, 2017, 06:52 PM
Just hang in there; time will do the silver/white thing for you, and it lasts a long time. I'm 63 with silvery blonde hair, and I'm sure I'll have it for the next 30 years.

EdG
April 21st, 2017, 09:07 PM
Just hang in there; time will do the silver/white thing for you, and it lasts a long time. I'm 63 with silvery blonde hair, and I'm sure I'll have it for the next 30 years.Truer words were never spoken. :)

Synester, the Silver Swirl is saying "Have patience, my minions." :bowtome:
Ed

starlamelissa
April 21st, 2017, 09:10 PM
yes i have. the initial damage was rough, but what really killed me was the touch ups. my hair broke off in a most dramatic fashion! I ultimately decided to cut it, earlier this month.

I am a long time member here, and I had butt length hair before I chopped it off. I dont regret anything, and I am enjoying my new shorter do. I am however, growing out my natural color and my hair in general.

Lizzie.torp
April 21st, 2017, 10:03 PM
I had my hair platinum blonde for 6 years and white for about 3 months. The way I did it was a blue toning bleach with a 30 developer for an hour and a half every 3 weeks and would keep purple shampoo in it for 10 minutes once a week because it would yellow so quickly. It was incredibly high maintenance and I had to load it with products to smooth down the cuticle. It was quite damaged but definitely possible to disguise and if I had to guess, it could probably have grown to almost waist before being breakage city. The only pro is that I could forget to wash it for 2+ weeks besides the yellowing. It would just turn yellow after a while. I probably wouldn't risk it with fine hair unless it lightens quickly and you don't want it very long.

Gothic
April 22nd, 2017, 12:05 AM
I had white hair for 2+ years (I already had every color of the rainbow before that so my hair was damaged) but I did fun colors in between and I bleached them out.. so I bleached my hair 4 times to get it back to white everytime and my hair started to literally break off in chunks. After that I only bleached the roots and it got better but it was dry and full of splits and I stayed at the same lenght for more than two years because I never cut off the splits, I just let them break. So yeah platinum/white/silver is very high maintenance and I couldn't care for it properly but I still miss it :(

Dark40
June 7th, 2017, 08:29 PM
I've had this hair color before. I used a bleach at home, and it came out gorgeous!!!! I did not have any damage at all. The kind of box bleach I used was, "Revlon Frost And Glow Bleach Blonding Kit," and it didn't take my hair that long to lighten up to platinum or white at all. Starting from my natural hair color. Which is dark brown. I only left it on for 20 minutes. Then, I rinsed and used the blonding conditioner that came in the kit.

Cherriezzzzz
June 7th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Damage unbearable :) I could see the new hair sticking up on top of my head that broke off as it grew back in. Good thing I have ultra thick hair. But I was as light as Paris Hilton's very blond hair. It was fun... hehe

Cherriezzzzz
June 7th, 2017, 08:34 PM
I've had this hair color before. I used a bleach at home, and it came out gorgeous!!!! I did not have any damage at all. The kind of box bleach I used was, "Revlon Frost And Glow Bleach Blonding Kit," and it didn't take my hair that long to lighten up to platinum or white at all. Starting from my natural hair color. Which is dark brown. I only left it on for 20 minutes. Then, I rinsed and used the blonding conditioner that came in the kit.

You are blessed! That is not a typical result! Awesome!

Cherriezzzzz
June 7th, 2017, 08:40 PM
By slow i mean weeks and weeks. Maybe months. Not hours lol. You can get there in a day but your hair will be trashed.

Truth be told, I'm not convinced about olaplex. It's expensive and it doesn't seem like the effects are lasting . Not that it won't help, I'm sure it can. But it's not magic.

A fancy spa used it on my box black and it went back to my natural colour like a miracle! NOT THE END OF THE STORY! It gradually faded back to black, three times... different days. My red hair roots would start to gradually have that line of demarcation and before I knew it ALL THE black came back. The hairdressers and I were stunned. I still do not know how that happened to this day. I ended up having to bleach it out.

pastina
June 7th, 2017, 09:22 PM
A fancy spa used it on my box black and it went back to my natural colour like a miracle! NOT THE END OF THE STORY! It gradually faded back to black, three times... different days. My red hair roots would start to gradually have that line of demarcation and before I knew it ALL THE black came back. The hairdressers and I were stunned. I still do not know how that happened to this day. I ended up having to bleach it out.

I think you might be thinking of a different product because Olaplex doesn't remove hair color.

What you've described sounds like a common thing that happens with products like ColourB4, ColorOops, DeColour, etc. And, bonus, I can explain what happened for ya!

Those products work by shrinking the dye molecules that are trapped in your hair. After you apply and let it process, you are supposed to rinse for-basically-ever to get those shrunken-but-trapped molecules out from under the cuticle. It really feels like an insane amount of rinsing when done properly!

If it's not all out, those molecules will expand again, not to mention they will expand *instantly* if exposed to developer (peroxide). In your case, it sounds like they just didn't rinse enough. So, although the results looked great initially, after a while, the dye molecules went back to their original size, magically bringing back your box black.

Kitty-Zen
June 7th, 2017, 10:22 PM
Yup this is my color. It's SO high maintenance but I LOVE it. Im committed. I've been at it (and growing mindfully) for roughly 4 years and am now mid back. Full of frizzies and I've compromised on damage by doing my roots as infrequently as I can stand as well as doubling down on deep conditioning but it's definitely possible! I'll get a new length pic tomorrow to share. I'd love to see others if anyone here is keeping up with this shade!

( But to be totally honest I'm impatiently waiting for my hair to grey naturally. I cant wait for an epic ghostly mane!)

Kitty-Zen
June 7th, 2017, 10:33 PM
Its not so hard to maintain if you go the way of only bleaching the roots as it grows out, that way itll process faster (heat from the scalp) and only need to be processed once or twice depending on your virgin colour, the only problem is that takes patience but you can get it blended out to look like an intentional ombre as it grows. Bleaching the whole head will result in breakage and damage if previously coloured or fragile plus its harder to lift colour out of the length as it doesnt get as warm as the hair at the scalp which means way more bleaches. i would recommend you didnt bleach your entire head if your hairs thin and prone to breakage or do bleach baths as Pastina recommends (maybe strand test a small cut off section of your hair first and see how much it can lift while still feeling like hair and not mush or hay), mines coarse and can take a lot without frying and i still baby mine as much as possible during the process just incase

personally i only bleach my hair 4 times a year, every 3 months and ive had it for about 4-5 years now with a year before that in stages of pale blonde-orange. It results in large dark blonde roots that look even darker compared to the bright white before i dye it but i dont mind as it stops me overlapping bleach and im too lazy to touch it up often.

when i bleach i soak my hair in coconut oil overnight and braid my hair into thin rows of braids starting from a cm down from the white part of my hair leaving the roots and a bit of white hair free to avoid tiny bits of roots being mixed into the braid and having banding and unbleached patches. the rows of braids make it a lot easier for me to section when bleaching without tangling my hair (sorry this is waffley its hard to explain), i then put vaseline over the first inch of white closest to my roots to minimise overlap as much as possible and work in sections (coconut oil remains in hair during the bleaching) to coat my roots in bleach. it takes a few hours of preparation and its totally over complicated but for me as someone who bleaches their own hair, it stops me overlapping so much. doing it the regular way got me lots of broken off pieces in the back and crown of my head because im a sloppy applicator and i dont trust hair dressers to not use 40vol and fry it. i use schwarzkopf absolute platinum, it works best for me to lift with minimum damage but it might not for others and it only costs me £15 to do my hair for 3 boxes every 3 months.

i use aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor on my roots immediately after washing the bleach out with shampoo twice, i leave it on for 2 hours under a plastic bag and then ill rewash with a purple shampoo and condition it leaving that on for an hour then washing it out. i wash my hair once a week so ill use coconut oil and argan oil in small drops on the ends of my hair occasionally and ill use the reconstructor once every 2 weeks or once a month after the first month. i also dont use heat on my hair whatsoever and in hot weather ill spray my hair with heat protectant and bun it.

i guess pros:
- its my favourite hair colour so im glad i can have it for myself
-its really easy to do vibrant colours
-with the right bleaching care and a balance of protein and conditioner you can have pretty healthy hair (depending on your hairs strength to begin with, ymmv), itll never be as healthy as virgin but mine feels and moves like it was when it was virgin and its very strong and shiny with no splits.

cons:
-damage transitioning from another colour
-any oils or hair washing products with too much pigment can stain your hair, i cant use the green avocado oils for example
-swimming baths will turn your hair green tinged
-having to wear it in protective styles(?) - i dont personally, i wear mine down 90% of the time but i could imagine rubbing on shoulders and clothes at shorter lengths with bleach damage might have a much worse effect than virgin hair rubbing, im not sure though
-i can never have beautiful red hair again unless im 100% sure i want to commit to it, i found red hair that faded to orange stained so bad i had to grow it out when i was going from red to platinum. deep blood red, copper and silver blonde hair are my biggest hair loves in the entire world so it sometimes sucks that being so pale is restrictive within itself when its so good for being a base for other colours.

Brilliant. I started doing a similar process for covering my already colored lengths. I didn't think of Vaseline though! And your photo in your signature is GORGEOUS! Your hair looks incredibly healthy!

Crystawni
June 10th, 2017, 12:28 AM
If I had've done this years ago, I'd be well and truly sick of my incoming colour, or lack thereof, by now. :wigtongue

Cherriezzzzz
June 10th, 2017, 09:06 PM
I think you might be thinking of a different product because Olaplex doesn't remove hair color.

What you've described sounds like a common thing that happens with products like ColourB4, ColorOops, DeColour, etc. And, bonus, I can explain what happened for ya!

Those products work by shrinking the dye molecules that are trapped in your hair. After you apply and let it process, you are supposed to rinse for-basically-ever to get those shrunken-but-trapped molecules out from under the cuticle. It really feels like an insane amount of rinsing when done properly!

If it's not all out, those molecules will expand again, not to mention they will expand *instantly* if exposed to developer (peroxide). In your case, it sounds like they just didn't rinse enough. So, although the results looked great initially, after a while, the dye molecules went back to their original size, magically bringing back your box black.

Oh yes, haha you're right, not Olaplex! I do have an insane amount of hair, it's very thick, so again that's right on. Wow. Although truly I don't regret my bleached look. I loved it. One of the finest times in my life being a platinum blond!

Thanks so much for explaining that color off the spa used. Makes perfect sense :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 10th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Bleaching my hair white and going silver was probably the worst thing I ever did to my hair and I deeply regret ever doing it.