PDA

View Full Version : Different Measurements from two Different People GRRR

Aunty Miki
March 17th, 2017, 03:31 PM
It seems that my hair grew 1 1/2" in one month but shrunk by a 1/2" this past month. That's according to DD and DH. Is there a way for one to accurately measure one's own hair? Mine is hip, according to the mirror.
ETA: I already know about the starting point on for head. It's just awkward to do it myself.

Chromis
March 17th, 2017, 03:34 PM
I think it can vary tremendously day by day even. Like if it is more humid, my hair has more wave and "shrinks" Or if they aren't holding the tape the same or they didn't comb it straight down, or, or...

I have given up on measuring inches and just go by body markers. You will likely have the best luck if it is wet, but I know for me the slight wave comes back pretty fast and my hair does not like being combed while wet much.

Decoy24601
March 17th, 2017, 03:40 PM
I think it can vary tremendously day by day even. Like if it is more humid, my hair has more wave and "shrinks" Or if they aren't holding the tape the same or they didn't comb it straight down, or, or...

I have given up on measuring inches and just go by body markers. You will likely have the best luck if it is wet, but I know for me the slight wave comes back pretty fast and my hair does not like being combed while wet much.

I measure my hair stretched so I can keep track of the growth accurately, even if it doesn't visually look quite that long depending on the day.

Aunty Miki
March 17th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Thank you, both! Yes, I noticed that my hair passed my belt recently. I have 2C M-C iii hair, so shrinkage is real. Measured 33 3/8", according to them.

Groovy Granny
March 17th, 2017, 04:41 PM

I measure my hair stretched so I can keep track of the growth accurately, even if it doesn't visually look quite that long depending on the day.

Same with me....when wurly it can shrink a couple of inches....and the tape measure was very frustrating!

I go by body markers and moles for landmarks lol....and I check it wet/stretched.

Inches mean nothing to me because I have a very short torso with only 2-3 inches between landmarks besides.
I just eyeball it stretched in a mirror and measured with a ruler from one landmark to the other to guestimate when I will reach a goal.

lapushka
March 17th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Yes after about BSL to waist, I started to go by body markers as well. I felt I just got too obsessed with it and started to measure relative to body markers, much better (for me personally).

likelikepenny
March 17th, 2017, 06:33 PM
If my hair shrunk only a couple inches I would be happy :rolleyes::wigtongue

pandabarrier
March 17th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Each time I measure the numbers are slightly different. So I take many measurements and calculate the average.

Lavendersugar
March 17th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Yes after about BSL to waist, I started to go by body markers as well. I felt I just got too obsessed with it and started to measure relative to body markers, much better (for me personally).

Same here. I feel body markers are just easier. After all, most of us want to X area on the body but I rarely read people going for certain number.

Aunty Miki
March 18th, 2017, 02:09 AM
Short torso here, too, with long legs. Growing to knee is going to take a while. And, you're right. Body markers are best.

unheardletters
March 18th, 2017, 05:44 AM
I find measuring my hair impossible. I've measured dozens of times on the same day even and I get different results every time, up to 3" in difference. My hair is very wavy and is extremely inconsistent. Even body milestones are difficult for me. One time it definitely seems to be apl and another time it looks several inches above it. I bought a striped shirt to wear just to try to get an average of where my hair length typically ends. I've tried pulling straight, but my hairs are not all the same length due to wildly different growth rates and the inconsistency of the waves (i only once straighten my hair for an event and i had to give myself a haircut just to have it look nice (then it looked really bad when wavy).

Kiiruna
March 18th, 2017, 06:03 AM
I don't even have wavy hair, but I still get inconsistent results :lol:

Hairkay
March 18th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I also get different measurements even if I measure several times the same day or even the same hour. That's how my hair is. Tight curls like to stay curly. I'm not about to straighten my hair just for measuring. Occasionally I may measure a plait/braid or even just a few shed hairs because those can easily be stretched out. I use that to estimate length. The hair even looks different on body markers because it changes length throughout the day. In the shower it gets down to my waist. When it starts to dry it's MBL. If I leave it out it can get to APL. If I plait or braid it, MBL turning to BSL as time goes by that day. Twists go from BSL to APL and sometimes SL.