PDA

View Full Version : On hair goals and timing

Fia
March 17th, 2017, 11:49 AM
More often than not I see people stating "I will be at X length on Y date", or "my final goal is Z". While I can understand and appreciate the thought behind it, it's also something that can lull us into a false sense of security.

Because we never know for sure what our growth rate will be, we might not reach X at Y, it might be a lot later than what we originally thought. And we can never be sure where our own terminal length will be, or for that matter if we find that something before terminal is quite enough for us.

Hair growing is something where we are at the mercy of our own body, it decides when we get to a goal we have set up for ourselves, it decides whether we can even get to that goal or not. Don't stop setting goals for yourselves, but be humble and acknowledge that if and when that goal is reached is not up to us, it's up to factors that we have little to no control over.

draysmir
March 17th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Interesting POV :o I tend to guess when I'll make a goal, but obviously growth rates change slightly month to month, so I don't actually expect to be right where I want to be at a specific date. The best thing is to appreciate our hair at all lengths and conditions, instead of always just focusing on the final goal. I don't think it hurts to dream a bit though :p

spidermom
March 17th, 2017, 08:11 PM
I avoided anticipating at which times I'd reach which lengths. My hair growth was too erratic - like a weed one month, barely changing at all another month. Or the right side would grow like crazy and look so weird that I'd have to cut it back (because I like symmetry). It always amuses me to see posts that go something like "I'll reach tailbone in March!" I'm always thinking "right ... let us know how that works out for you."

vega
March 17th, 2017, 09:00 PM
Dreams are free

Groovy Granny
March 17th, 2017, 09:04 PM
It's just estimation; most realize that I think and accept what is when the time comes.
In those times when my growth slowed I just moved the goal date; no biggie.
It gives you purpose and hope for the journey.
As long as you ENJOY the journey at every stage...using the styles and hair toys you can to bling it up. HAVE FUN :cheer:

Tosca
March 17th, 2017, 09:15 PM
I think working a few months ahead (3 or 6) is fine, but when people plan multiple years (in 3/4/5 years time I will be at X) in advance I wonder a little. Because there is so much that can happen in such a long period of time, like an illness that stops or slows growth, or having to trim a large amount due to accidental damage.

wo
March 17th, 2017, 09:21 PM
I don't think people usually set goals presumptuously, rather they are simply doing the math based on they know to be their growth rate, to estimate where they may be in a certain time frame. Personally, I wrote down when each milestone should happen, and that note which is now two years old, has been exactly right down to the month all along. I haven't trimmed so it's easy to estimate. I based it on the average half inch growth rate and it's been very accurate for me. I find it very encouraging to do the math to check how long it will be in a certain time frame or by a certain event.

cowgirllong
March 17th, 2017, 09:25 PM
I have never personally set a goal or made a prediction that I would be a certain length by a certain time. A long time ago, I realized I was in it to see where my terminal length would be. I do find it a bit crazy the predictions you see people make.

Groovy Granny
March 17th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Most here anyway seem to take it a landmark at a time, with an end goal in sight years down the road (I know I did over my 4 year journey)...but the landmark goals keep them realistic while hopeful, and occasionally some do encounter stalls (for whatever reason) and some have frustrations.

When it becomes an obsession vs a fun process...then you have a problem....and some do!

Mrstran
March 17th, 2017, 09:31 PM
I do it because I find it fun. I don't really care if I get there in time, I'm just going to see if I do. There are estimated times between each goal and I fix the markers as I grow. Again, for fun. So far I've been off 1 month, but ahead of schedule by 1 month. There will be times that I will be behind.

MoonRabbit
March 17th, 2017, 09:32 PM
As someone who never had really long hair (mbl being my longest length) I think it's important to have short term goals. If you know how much you grow on average and do the math it can be inspirational not to cut or get upset by not seeing a huge result in little time. Yes anything can happen, but that stands with everything in life. Should I stop planning for the future because the world might end? I don't find it amusing at all, I see someone who is really dedicated in reaching a personal goal. It gives them hope and if that makes them happy then I'm happy.

pailin
March 17th, 2017, 11:51 PM
I work out how long something should take to give myself perspective - ie, should I even be thinking about a particular goal. I try not to think too far ahead.

lizardspots
March 18th, 2017, 12:50 AM
Far-reaching goals can be motivating, or demoralising. Depends on the person. Personally, I pay more attention to reaching small milestones than rate of growth per month. I feel like monthly measuring is a bit overkill.

Aunty Miki
March 18th, 2017, 02:29 AM
It's fun! I should make knee in about 4 years. We'll see!

Hairkay
March 18th, 2017, 02:51 AM
I think what works for me is to use small mile stones for a year at a time. I don't look at average growth rate and estimate that I'll be at a certain length based on that. I'm well aware that trimming, breakage etc needs to be taken into account. I only joined the X by the end of year challenge (using the full year) when I have about 3 inches or less to go to reach that body marker. When I started to add hair masks into my hair routine to help with my hair ends getting too dry, I gave myself a year to get used to doing that. I didn't expect to gain length yet that happened and surprised me. After that I began to have small expectations of length gain when I joined LHC. I'm dubious of those online that claim they'll obtain 8 inches in less than a year whilst waving around their "miracle" hair vitamins. Especially when they've never had that growth rate at any time in their hair's past.

Estrid
March 18th, 2017, 02:54 AM
I often did that, still do it. My 'guesses' were always pretty much on point, but my growth rate is constant and I know how my hair behaves. I mainly do it for fun :) Not sure why it would be 'bad' to estimate how long something would take.

hayheadsbird
March 18th, 2017, 03:17 AM
I set goals, or at least the expectation of a goal. It's something to look forward to. Rather than a set date I tend to give it a wider window of time, so currently it's waist at some point in the summer. Even then, it'll be waist stretched for longest layers. I know that visual waist for the bulk of it will take a good bit longer, and that's okay. For me goal setting is a way to see progress. To keep up motivation and part of the enjoyment of the process. Even better than hitting the length goal is seeing the mini milestones along the way, another braid bump, hair suddenly holding in a different bun it used to fall out of. For me the goal is part of the journey. I don't think it's a problem unless you obsess over it, and even then not really a problem unless it upsets you and prevents you enjoying life. According to my average growth rate I should be classic in 3 years or so, but that's such a long time and a far away goal to me it's unrealistic to focus on.

Crystawni
March 18th, 2017, 03:46 AM
I use a growth rate chart to guide me. Over the past few years since joining LHC and tracking my growth, I've trimmed and cut my hair, moved house (many times) and travelled up and down this big ol' state, mourned the loss of someone(s) dear to me, had health issues and an operation, and many other fairly major stresses, and yet the chart has shown a steady and predictable growth rate for me. I don't have a final goal, though (due to my own aesthetics), and treat it as a bit of fun overall as nothing is set in stone. :waltz:

My chart from Apr. 2014 to Dec. 2016, snippages included:

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o722/Weighting/Length%20Shots/Progress%20Chart%202014-2016_zpsw2o0ivw3.jpg

(My chart predicted I'd hit BCL about now, and guess what..?)

*toddles off to change siggy*