PDA

View Full Version : Too much scalp manipulation cause hair fall?

Rehab350
March 17th, 2017, 04:53 AM
My hair condition is fine. It is growing faster than before. I was completely neglecting my hair, but now I care a lot. My routing has a lot to do with scalp like oiling, massaging, tea rubbing, rose water rubbing, I do not wash my hair after that.I just add the next one on the previous herb or whatever it was. I think that is so wrong. I wanted to get rid of dandruff and oil. I did but I think I was wrong.
My hair is shedding more now. I am putting conditioner near scalp. not on scalp directly. But I do not think that is the problem.
I believe many people put tea or herbs then do not wash it away. I think it is wrong.
I am confused about the real culprit. Is it oiling? Rough massage? Braiding in the same spot? Conditioners? The thing is I did all of these for a while, it started shedding more for a week or so.

lapushka
March 17th, 2017, 05:04 AM
My hair condition is fine. It is growing faster than before. I was completely neglecting my hair, but now I care a lot. My routing has a lot to do with scalp like oiling, massaging, tea rubbing, rose water rubbing, I do not wash my hair after that.I just add the next one on the previous herb or whatever it was. I think that is so wrong. I wanted to get rid of dandruff and oil. I did but I think I was wrong.
My hair is shedding more now. I am putting conditioner near scalp. not on scalp directly. But I do not think that is the problem.
I believe many people put tea or herbs then do not wash it away. I think it is wrong.
I am confused about the real culprit. Is it oiling? Rough massage? Braiding in the same spot? Conditioners? The thing is I did all of these for a while, it started shedding more for a week or so.

Too much "rubbing" or "massaging" is just not a great idea. Yes, you can lose more hair that way.

Benign neglect IMMHO is the way to go. I mean a massage here and there probably won't hurt, but constantly? No! No bueno.

Borgessa
March 17th, 2017, 05:17 AM
I notice that certain seasons in the year I have a heavier shed than normal for a few weeks month or more, having one now, end of summer here. Could that be what's going on? Makes me wanna cry, the weight of just a look can make hair fall. I think it's normal thou.

ephemeri
March 17th, 2017, 05:18 AM
It could definitely be the rubbing of oil on your scalp.

When I first started looking into taking care of my hair, I came across many resources that talked about castor oil massage for the scalp, to improve growth and strength of hair. I did it a couple of times and had MASSIVE sheds from it. I learned not to put oil on my scalp after that....!

lapushka
March 17th, 2017, 05:50 AM
Yes, the oil could be the culprit too. Some people can't deal with oil on their scalp and they get tons more shedding because of it (some also with the use of conditioners on the scalp). It depends person to person, but it exists and is a "thing".

And it might also be the season. Spring is going to be here, so more shedding is normal then.

But a lot of "manipulation" definitely isn't great. Daily? No. Weekly. Might be OK. Better if it's once or twice a month.

Ophidian
March 17th, 2017, 10:04 AM
I do near-daily scalp massage, but very gently and usually just for a minute or two. I definitely find that too much manipulation irritates my scalp. I do think scalps like/tolerate a varying degree of "messing with," but if you are seeing increased hair fall then perhaps the massages are too rough and/or frequent? Or it could be the oil--some people find it makes them shed more. Similarly, if you are actively stretching washes--I definitely find I shed more if my hair is overdue for a wash. It is interesting that it just started though if you have been on this routine for a while with no recent changes. Seasonal shedding is a thing, as is increased hair fall from certain medications and other health issues. So yeah! The only real thing I have by way of advice is see if you can pinpoint any changes at the time it started, and consider tweaking your routine if you feel like oils or rough massaging may be the culprit. Unless you have a specific sensitivity, I wouldn't tend to think the floral waters or herb infusions would be a problem. I use herb rinses every wash and use them regularly on scalp-only in between without any problems, and I've not heard specific mention of them causing hair fall in others.

Good luck!

meteor
March 17th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Yes, too much manipulation can cause extra hairfall temporarily. All sorts of scalp oilings, herbal treatments, scalp massages, henna root applications, root dying, scalp tonics, hair growth stimulators, etc... But on a healthy scalp, if you are not using anything you are sensitive to or anything irritating, it shouldn't make a noticeable difference for ponytail circumference. The thing is, it can be hard to tell what's irritating scalp before the extra shed occurs.
Many things that are supposed to stimulate hair growth are also sensitizing, so tread lightly.

I definitely get a bit more shedding if I'm trying something new on scalp (e.g. scalp massages, scalp oiling), but it should normalize after a couple times. If it doesn't, it's not worth risking it further.

Deborah
March 17th, 2017, 11:53 AM
I don't think regular brushing, combing and washing cause hair loss at all, and these all involve manipulation. I think the scalp very much benefits from regular, gentle daily manipulation.

Adding oils and chemicals to the hair and scalp may well cause any number of problems.

Chromis
March 17th, 2017, 11:58 AM
I think that you are trying too much at once to be able to tell what is hindering or helping. I know, I know, so much to try! But slow down, one at a time and then you can tell better what is going on.

Rehab350
March 17th, 2017, 01:17 PM
I think that you are trying too much at once to be able to tell what is hindering or helping. I know, I know, so much to try! But slow down, one at a time and then you can tell better what is going on.
LOL. Yes that is it. I am so interested in growing hair and going crazy trying things every other day, everyday sometimes. All of them applied my poor scalp.
Today, I haven't done any thing yet. My niece braided my hair yesterday and that is it. My scalp is not irritating or swollen. Plus, I think that I overdue my wash with all of herbs on it. I could got buildup, may be. I think that is it.
Thank you all of you. I was having a lot of ideas but not sure about them.

spidermom
March 17th, 2017, 01:37 PM
The standard advice is try one new thing at a time and give it 2 weeks unless you get an immediate bad reaction. Two weeks is enough time to decide whether or not the change is beneficial.

Ophidian
March 17th, 2017, 01:58 PM
The standard advice is try one new thing at a time and give it 2 weeks unless you get an immediate bad reaction. Two weeks is enough time to decide whether or not the change is beneficial.

A good reminder for many of us I think :)