PDA

View Full Version : feeling a set back

reilly0167
March 16th, 2017, 07:56 AM
I have curly hair, and for a while I've been wearing it straight. Which allows me to stretch washes to once a week on sundays, sometimes once every two weeks with no problems and allows me to keep my hair up in braids or buns with ease; and if I catch a knot I gently try to undo it. This week I decided to let go curly, I did everything i could to keep it contained while sleeping, pineapple method, scarf and such, but I find myself washing more, wetting it to refresh curls adding more product to define curl. Ugh:justy: it looks like it doesnt work for me anymore since letting it grow out. This morning i washed my hair and as i was detangling with conditioner i encounter a huge knot couldnt undo it and had get out of the shower and cut it. Im pretty out of sort about it because i feel like it set me back on my hair journey to waist length ( currently just past bsl). When my hair is straight barely any issues in care, little shed, little knots, when curly big shed big knots, im going back to straightening my hair, not chemically, never will do that again, havent done it since high school and i do dry on low setting, takes forever but it worth it to me, big difference. I guess as hair grows longer, needs and methods change too. Didnt have a problem with curly hair care when it was shorter now its getting longer, well i guess things change what did work then doesnt work now ( for me anyways). Thanks for taking the time to read my venting session here, just feeling really bummed about cutting that big knot, like it mentioned, feeling set back:(

lapushka
March 16th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Maybe mist your curls in the morning and remoisturize with a little leave-in and serum, that will keep your wash days to a minimum.

reilly0167
March 16th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Maybe mist your curls in the morning and remoisturize with a little leave-in and serum, that will keep your wash days to a minimum.
I'll try this week and see how that works out. My wash days is actually on Sundays, I did today because I couldn't manage it, it was a awful.

Hay_jules
March 16th, 2017, 09:17 AM
I dont have super curly hair but i do have the same issue if i choose to go curly after a wash. I do exactly as lapushka said, mist and serum, but my waves don't recurl very well so i finger comb it in and gently pull it through stretching my waves and it ends up looking like soft, touchable waves (if that makes any sense).

pili
March 19th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Mist and serum (I use oil) works great for me. Keeping it braided or bunned, stretched out the curl, so by the end of the week, I just end up with waves.

Obsidian
March 19th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Do you finger de-tangle daily when its curly? The shed hairs get stuck in curls so much easier then when its straight, not surprised you get more knots. I use a wide tooth comb daily then dampen and scrunch to refresh curls. I'd rather spend a bit of extra time doing this then deal with knots from not de-tangling daily.

reilly0167
March 19th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Did a rinse out oil method and liked it. I blew dry my hair straight to I can trim using Feye's trim method. I did noticed my ends was just scraggly awful so I figured well instead of tiny snippets of a micro trim I'm used to doing I just give it a decent trim. Feels so nice to finally do it. Won't give up in going curly, perhaps this trim would help in easing back into curly groove:) it has been sticking onto itself when wet lately. Fingers crossed will try again.

likelikepenny
March 19th, 2017, 05:01 PM
I second what pili said. Keeping hair stretched by either braiding or banding is a life saver when it comes to curly hair and detangling. Try braiding your hair after washing and undoing it when it's dry, this should stretch your curls and cut down on tangles.

pili
March 19th, 2017, 06:40 PM
I actually let it dry completely before putting it up. Otherwise my hair won't dry for days and my scalp suffers. When I put it up I fingercombing it dry, spitz with water, smooth a few drops of oil on it, particularly the ends, and then bun or braid.

likelikepenny
March 19th, 2017, 08:41 PM
I actually let it dry completely before putting it up. Otherwise my hair won't dry for days and my scalp suffers. When I put it up I fingercombing it dry, spitz with water, smooth a few drops of oil on it, particularly the ends, and then bun or braid.

I put mine up damp. If I wait until it dries (without gel) it gets too tangled, but if I do it wet, it never dries. Damp is the perfect medium as when I wash at night, it's dry by morning.

Borgessa
March 19th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Argh I feel for ya, so hard when ya being so patient and wham, a step in the wrong direction.

vega
March 20th, 2017, 03:00 AM
I have very curly hair what works for me is detangling dry with bit of oil ,amla oil gets through my tangles shower detangling isn't for everyone and knots hair more for some