PDA

View Full Version : DIY ombre lightening questions

Cyclamen
March 15th, 2017, 11:30 PM
I was thinking to do ombre lightening at the tips with box blonde dye, but now I am wondering if using demi dye is a better idea. Possibly less damaging and would blend better with multiple (overlapping) applications.

I am not sure though if demi is enough to lift from brown to blonde.
Also is it ok to mix Clairol's toner from the box with lower level developer?

I did henna once on my current hair, but it came out too dark, so I want to lighten it a bit and grow out my natural color (light brown with blonde highlights). I don't mind having caramel or light red hair as a result of lightening.

I'm thinking to use Olaplex or Ion knock-off. Would I have to adjust length of time dye sitting on the hair to get the same results?

How many washes does it usually take for a blonde toner to wash out?

I know there was a bottle blonde thread before, but I couldn't find it.

tigress86
March 16th, 2017, 01:00 AM
What level is you natural hair? Is there still henna on it?

Hay_jules
March 16th, 2017, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure a demi would lighten your hair enough, it certainly won't get brown hair to blonde.

It shouldn't be a problem using a different brand of developer. Where do you live? Do you have access to a Sally's? Where i live it's actually much more affordable to get it all separate from Sally's as opposed to box dye and that way you have a little more control about what you're using.

Olaplex isn't supposed to affect the timing at all. I cant speak to the ion one, but it's only *similar* to olaplex at best because olaplex technology is patented.

If you're using a toner that requires developer it may not wash out at all.

Sorry i have no definitive answers for you, but there really are no certainties with home dying.

Obsidian
March 16th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Also, henna doesn't just lighten, it goes brighter orange but not lighter. If there is still henna on your hair, it can take multiple strong bleachings to remove it. I recently tried to bleach my henna out, two rounds of bleaching did nothing except give me neon orange hair. I ended up having to re apply the henna to tone down the brightness.

lapushka
March 16th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Also, henna doesn't just lighten, it goes brighter orange but not lighter. If there is still henna on your hair, it can take multiple strong bleachings to remove it. I recently tried to bleach my henna out, two rounds of bleaching did nothing except give me neon orange hair. I ended up having to re apply the henna to tone down the brightness.

Exactly this. I got to a light orange level after 2 full-strength (get black hair to platinum) bleachings! I fried my hair, and after the box dye (light brown) was applied, the next box dye got me a chemical cut & burn. So I wouldn't just try to bleach out the henna either.

Cyclamen
March 17th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Thank you for the suggestions!

My hair is mostly level 7 natural and level 6 with henna. I only had henna on for an hour. Now I'm thinking to aim for light auburn not blonde, and tread lightly from the ends, leaving for 20 minutes at first.
There are Sally stores here long drive away. I wasn't aware pro dye was cheaper, I will check it when I am in the area. Thanks for the tips!