PDA

View Full Version : Curls back?

solanshia
March 14th, 2017, 01:15 PM
HI!

So my hair is (well at least it was) naturally curly... But then I decided to dye it black and that just killed my natural curls. Also before dyeing it black i have colored my hair red and my hair was completely fine with the red colour ( I mean it still curled...). so my hair was black and I continued dyeing it black for about 2 years. And then I decided to bleach it. I bleached it 3 times until my hair was blonde. And this completely destroyed my hair and I had to cut it( from my belly button to about my collar bones..) And then ofc I wanted to have dark hair again since I feel that light hair does not fit me at all ( I have naturally ash blonde hair and I was completely blonde growing up). and that again damaget my hair even more...:steam:steam

But last august I decided that I want my long curly hair back. So I stopped dyeing and heat styling my hair, and now I have about 10cm of my own hair but my overall hair is armpit length...

And I wanted to ask does anybody of you know how I can heal my damaged hair and get it natural curls back?:o And is there any good hair products or natural remedies for this purpose? My hair is now about 1c to 2a and it used to be about 3a.

I also wanted to apologize about my grammar and misspelings... English is not my native language :neutral: Finnish is ;)!

meteor
March 14th, 2017, 01:30 PM
HI!

So my hair is (well at least it was) naturally curly... But then I decided to dye it black and that just killed my natural curls. Also before dyeing it black i have colored my hair red and my hair was completely fine with the red colour ( I mean it still curled...). so my hair was black and I continued dyeing it black for about 2 years. And then I decided to bleach it. I bleached it 3 times until my hair was blonde. And this completely destroyed my hair and I had to cut it( from my belly button to about my collar bones..) And then ofc I wanted to have dark hair again since I feel that light hair does not fit me at all ( I have naturally ash blonde hair and I was completely blonde growing up). and that again damaget my hair even more...:steam:steam

But last august I decided that I want my long curly hair back. So I stopped dyeing and heat styling my hair, and now I have about 10cm of my own hair but my overall hair is armpit length...

And I wanted to ask does anybody of you know how I can heal my damaged hair and get it natural curls back?:o And is there any good hair products or natural remedies for this purpose? My hair is now about 1c to 2a and it used to be about 3a.

Things like bleach break disulfide bonds, and visually this can translate into lack of natural curl/wave pattern or extreme frizz.

Just let it grow out naturally (while microtrimming the damaged ends away), and the natural pattern will be there in the new growth. It might still not look completely the same for as long as there are old ends dragging the pattern down a bit, but once the damage is trimmed away, you should be fine. There is a possibility that your hair's natural texture might have changed somewhat naturally for unrelated reasons with age, but I really think growing out your hair without damage will be the best bet for bringing back the curl you are used to seeing.

In the meantime, just to help damaged hair, I'd experiment with pre-poo oiling with penetrating oils (e.g. coconut), LOC (liquid/leave-in + oil + cream/conditioner) post-wash, oil rinses between shampoo & conditioner, and some protein treatments (e.g. Joico K-Pak Reconstruct, Redken Extreme Builder Plus, gelatin DIY mask, etc...). Damaged hair also tends to do well with silicones for slip, as well as 18-MEA and ceramides.

You could try also squish-to-condish and wet-setting hair in curls (e.g. with satin-covered foam rollers) to help the pattern, while waiting for your natural curliness to come back with fresh growth.

Jennah
March 14th, 2017, 02:02 PM
You cam check this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139804) for inspiration.

solanshia
March 15th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Yeah I was thinking the same ...just growing my own hair back and I sure need to try some protein treatments :o Thanks for the tip!

meteor
March 15th, 2017, 11:17 AM
With protein, there are a few things to be aware of, for example, the need to use proteins of the right sizes (many people don't do well with larger proteins, for example), the need to moisturize right after and not to overdo on proteins, to avoid making hair stiff, so I'd start small and see how the hair reacts. ;)

Here are some good articles on proteins in haircare:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/09/more-about-protein.html
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2011/08/mysteries-of-hydrolyzed-proteins.html
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2011/08/amino-acids-in-hair-products.html

Cyclamen
March 16th, 2017, 12:01 AM
I've heard Olaplex treatment can help restore curl pattern from chemical damage.