PDA

View Full Version : Giving up conditioner

Obsidian
March 13th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Curious, how many here have given up conditioner? What was your experience like? My scalp has been really unhappy lately, seems my SD is reacting badly to conditioner again so I'm try condish free for awhile. I'm also going sulfate free since I don't have to wash out cones.

Its only been a few days but so far so good. My hair isn't tangling more then normal and it doesn't really seem drier. It is a touch frizzier so I need to find something to help with that. Next wash I'll try oil on damp hair, at least try to control some of the frizz.

Any tips on a deep conditioner that doesn't contain commercial cond? I was thinking about plain yogurt and honey or even just honey that has been thinned down a little with water or aloe juice.

Ophidian
March 13th, 2017, 09:38 PM
I rarely use conditioner, which works fine with my sulfate-free routine. I wash twice a week: sometimes WO, sometimes herbs, sometimes dilute shampoo. I find herb rinses with a little honey added to be conditioning if I use herbs like chamomile, catnip, marshmallow, hibiscus, elder, etc. I brew the infusion in a mug like regular strong tea, add 1/4-1/2 tsp honey, let cool, and add water to make 1 quart.

For ends I use honey with olive oil (1 Tbsp to 1/4 tsp-ish) on the last inch or so of wet hair in the shower either before or after washing and just rinse it out. Oiling damp hair after washing is nice too if I go very easy on the oil. I do always use a pretty heavy conditioning butter on the ends (Nightblooming salve), and damp braid, otherwise I get mad poof. Granted, this was the case when I was using conditioner more regularly too.

My hair is about CBL now (20-something inches). If it were much longer I might be doing something different. But right now this is working well for me.

pili
March 13th, 2017, 10:30 PM
I stopped using conditioner and now just use an ACV rinse with some honey and EOs. Just one teaspoon, then I use oil after I get out to keep the moisture in. If just need a little moisture, I spritz my hair with water and smooth in a few more drops of oil. It took some experimenting to find oils my hair likes. With this a can go a week or more. I do use shampoo bars, though. I think you did not like those for your hair, but it should work just as well with a diluted/gentle shampoos. I think the trick is to not strip the hair with SLS-type detergents.

ETA: I have a problem scalp too, and can't use any SLS shampoo.

Nique1202
March 14th, 2017, 05:02 AM
My length and ends would never stand for no-conditioner. I need all that moisture and all those 'cones or it's tangle city, population: me. My scalp gets greasy extra-fast if conditioner touches it, so I just shampoo the scalp, let the suds run down when I rinse, and then condition below my shoulders.

If you have SD, I wouldn't use food-type items as deep conditioner as it seems likely that would feed the fungus more easily than standard conditioner. Also, I'd be careful with sulfate-free as it can sometimes not be cleansing enough in the long term, and often they contain a bunch of plant extracts and oils that can feed the SD and make it worse over time.

Arctic
March 14th, 2017, 05:15 AM
Your SD sounds like particularly angry and persistant type, I hope you will get it under control. On me if nothing else helps, Nizoral will.

HairKay has a thread of home made, natural masks she uses for hair, look the thread up for ideas.

I personally have always used conditioner but just lately have been testing how my hair would behave with less, as I am so tired of having tangly hair. so far looks like I have less tangliness issues (i get buildup very easily, which leads to tangliness).

Obsidian
March 14th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Thanks for sharing your routines ladies. I've been using acv rinse with pretty good results, I'll try honey next. Food stuffs don't seem to bother my SD unless its oily and it sits on my scalp too long.
I do have medicated shampoos but the one that works really well is a RX and my insurance won't cover the cost anymore, its $300 for a small bottle. Nizoral helps some but its not been enough for this latest flare. I like sulfates but I'm afraid they will be too drying without conditioner so i'll save them for the occasional scalp wash.