PDA

View Full Version : How often should I deep condition/oil my hair

tiffxcii
March 13th, 2017, 05:37 PM
:confused:I'm new and a little unsure of how often I should be deep conditioning and/or oiling my hair.
Currently I just use a leave in conditioner after my weekly wash to fight frizz but my ends still seem to be a little dry. I use a bbb every night before bed but still can't get much natural oil to my ends. My hair isn't dyed or chemically treated but my ends seem to be a little dried out.

So my questions are:
How often should I deep condition?
How often should I oil?
How long do I leave the oil or conditioner in my hair?

Any information is very much appreciated :)

likelikepenny
March 13th, 2017, 06:10 PM
It really depends on your hair as well as your washing schedule. Deep conditioning once a week is a good place to start. As for oiling, it depends on how oily your hair gets and what oils you're using.

You want the oil you're using not to be too heavy for your hair. Some people like coconut or olive but YMMV. Some leave it on, others wash it out. It's really up to you and how your hair likes it.

MoonRabbit
March 13th, 2017, 06:16 PM
I try to deep condition at least once a week, mostly in the winter when my hair is really dry. If my hair feels moisturized then I will do it once or twice a month. I use the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and leave it on for 50 minutes. So the timing will depend on what you use. You just have to experiment and find out what your hair likes.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127171

^ here is the deep treatment check in thread, It might be helpful for you.

Dark40
March 13th, 2017, 06:27 PM
You should deep condition after every wash. It depends on how often you wash your hair. For oiling I would oil 3 times a week. Or, however often you feel that you need to oil it.

Anje
March 13th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Well, I always oiled my hair when it was freshly washed. Not a lot, just a scant few drops spread over damp hair to help detangling and hold on moisture.

Deep conditioning, do as needed. In recent years, I probably did it every few months, because my hair didn't really need the moisture. When I first joined and had a little bit more damage, I'd deep condition every few weeks. Damaged hair might benefit from it each week, if you have the time. My hair, which generally doesn't do well with protein but likes humectants, really likes​ the SMT linked in my signature.

tiffxcii
March 13th, 2017, 06:59 PM
You should deep condition after every wash. It depends on how often you wash your hair. For oiling I would oil 3 times a week. Or, however often you feel that you need to oil it.

I wash my hair once a week, sometimes every week and a half depending on how oily my roots get. Should I deep condition and rinse after every wash? Or is it better to do a deep condition leave in after every wash?

tiffxcii
March 13th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Well, I always oiled my hair when it was freshly washed. Not a lot, just a scant few drops spread over damp hair to help detangling and hold on moisture.

Deep conditioning, do as needed. In recent years, I probably did it every few months, because my hair didn't really need the moisture. When I first joined and had a little bit more damage, I'd deep condition every few weeks. Damaged hair might benefit from it each week, if you have the time. My hair, which generally doesn't do well with protein but likes humectants, really likes​ the SMT linked in my signature.

Do you recommend any specific oils or brands? I bought an organic Jojoba oil to help my skin in the winter but I'm thinking of trying a little on my ends after washing and as needed throughout the week.

Anje
March 13th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Do you recommend any specific oils or brands? I bought an organic Jojoba oil to help my skin in the winter but I'm thinking of trying a little on my ends after washing and as needed throughout the week.

My hair has done well with avocado oil and sesame oil. Coconut wasn't good until a couple years ago, and before that it made my hair crispy if used in dry hair, but it seems ok if not optimal for slip. Olive makes​ mine really soft, but it looks greasy a lot easier than most oils.

A lot of it comes down to experimentation, though. I like a little bit of oil on my hair, but my hair absorbs very little compared to what lots of folks report. Many people like heavier applications of coconut oil a few hours before washing, but it never seemed to have any effect on mine.

Alissalocks
March 16th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Experiment, for sure! Jojoba works great for lots of users. I wash twice a week, and either oil or deep condition before every wash (1-12+ hours), once a week for each. It's been great for my hair, and I live in a dry environment so that impacts my choices too.

Dark40
March 16th, 2017, 07:49 PM
I wash my hair once a week, sometimes every week and a half depending on how oily my roots get. Should I deep condition and rinse after every wash? Or is it better to do a deep condition leave in after every wash?

Oh, ok cool. Yes, when you deep condition you should rinse it out. Sometimes after I deep condition I leave a little conditioner in my hair. Not much just a little. But since you only wash once a week. Or, once every week and a half I would rinse the deep conditioner out after every wash.

sarahthegemini
March 17th, 2017, 04:44 AM
Just do it whenever you feel your hair needs it. You don't need a set schedule.

lapushka
March 17th, 2017, 07:02 AM

There are also different washing routines on this site for you to try, the CWC or WCC might seem nice for "deeper" conditioning effects. You could use a conditioner or deep conditioner. I would recommend either or.

Have fun experimenting! :)

I wash once a week as well, and use the WCC method + LOC method for styling and my ends stay moisturized for the week with those (links are in my signature should you be interested).

Deborah
March 17th, 2017, 11:58 AM
This is an entirely individual thing. I don't ever oil or condition my hair any more, as I have learned that I don't need it. This is also probably part of why I can wash just once a week; I'm not adding anything to my hair that will make it oily or weigh it down and need to be washed out. I keep it very simple, and it works well for me.

Dark40
March 17th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Good for you! I have use conditioners and oils on my hair. Because, I both relax and color-treat my hair, and it works perfect for me. I keep mine simple too.