PDA

View Full Version : DIY Hair mask disaster: Advice needed

- Lizzy -
March 13th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Ok. Let me start at the beginning. So I have seen a few hair masks that include mashed banana in it and I thought I would give it a whirl. I made my own recipe of olive oil and half a banana mashed by hand (It was a little chunky).
I applied it and the took a bath/shower and shampooed & conditioned.

I started to realize things were gonna go down hill when I was in the bath and I was washing my hair, but most of the banana wasn't coming out. In fact it was clinging to my hair and tangling it into chunks. So I tried to comb it out (But it was really hard because I only have a fine tooth comb and it was so tangley) while having conditioner in my hair AND tried to condition about 3 times. Still it remained.

So I just got out and decided I would deal with the banana some other way and consult the hair experts (That's you guys ;))

HOW DO I GET THIS JUNK OUTshudder:

Also I will have you know my hair is feeling kind of weird, like not exactly stripped but just not right. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!

PixieP
March 13th, 2017, 03:31 PM
I saw a thread in the herbs and henna-forum about someone having the same troubles with an avacado and banana mask not too long ago, see if you can find that? :)

ETA: found it for you! :) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118596

Aredhel
March 13th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Yikes I've seen this disaster recipe pop up here before. It seems the concensus is that you just have to keep washing til it's out. I've seen someone mention waiting till it's dry, then try gently combing the flakes/chunks out with the fine tooth comb? Personally I'd just keep cowashing like you're already doing and detangle as gently as possible with your fingers. :(

Arctic
March 13th, 2017, 03:45 PM
No advice, other than next time you feel like trying a DIY recipe, search the forums first :) This is one of those doomed recipes, if banana is being used it needs to be suuuper smooth.

MoonRabbit
March 13th, 2017, 03:47 PM
This happened to me. It was terrible! I waited for my hair to fully dry then gently used my fingers to get the big chunks out and then used a brush for all the small bits of banana. Once the banana chucks are dry it will be easier to crack the pieces and release them from the hair strands. It took a long time, but it is doable.

lapushka
March 13th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Comb with a WT comb, until the tangles are gone, then go through it with a FT comb, and then wash it, condition it for the sake of combing (so repeat) until it's gone.

Serimel
March 13th, 2017, 11:04 PM
I've seen these recipes too and been very tempted to try one since they promise extreme softness and shine. In a video I watched the banana ingredient was really smooth like Arctic suggested. It was first smashed and then squeezed through a cloth to have the finest consistency almost like banana juice.

ravenreed
March 14th, 2017, 04:27 AM
I use banana baby food as I too learned the hard way. It took several washings and several days of combing with a fine toothed comb to get all the dried blobs out.

lapushka
March 14th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Banana can be slimy, especially when they're not ripe enough, and that "slime" kind of lingers in your hair and makes the chunks *stick*. It's not pretty. I did it once and never again.

pandabarrier
March 14th, 2017, 08:02 AM
I used banana, avocado and honey mask once. It was difficult to wash that out. Chunks of the mask were still in my hair after a full wash. So I applied cheap conditioner, massaged it into smalls sections of wet hair, until all hair was covered, rinsed and most of the persistent chunks came out.

meteor
March 14th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I waited for my hair to fully dry then gently used my fingers to get the big chunks out and then used a brush for all the small bits of banana. Once the banana chucks are dry it will be easier to crack the pieces and release them from the hair strands.

^ :agree: That is exactly what I would do in that situation. I think it's easier to remove dried up banana bits/flakes by painstaking finger-combing, combing and then brushing. I wouldn't bother soaking it: for as long as banana is wet, it will stay slimy and sticky and will be hard to rinse out with all the sticky fibers binding to hair, but dry might be a bit easier to remove over a few sessions.

How is it going, - Lizzy - ? Did you manage to get this stuff out? I hope it's going better now! :pray:

Rebel Rebel
March 14th, 2017, 03:11 PM
I've never tried this at all so this is just my opinion. My first instinct would be to put olive oil all over my hair then gently comb with a wide tooth comb or massage it in the hair. Leave the oil in for about an hour maybe, then shampoo and condition. I would think the oil would remove and loosen anything sticking to the hair.

sarahthegemini
March 14th, 2017, 03:38 PM
What were you hoping to achieve by putting banana in your hair? :confused: