PDA

View Full Version : double texture

ALEXIAA
March 13th, 2017, 03:50 AM
Hello, I left a comment concerning the appearance of hair thick, dark, frizzy to the crown of my head; (33 years old, no pill, ok hormones)
I had pulled them out, but they were still growing but now I find that they all have become coarse.
This concerns only the top hair; I do not know why they are like this now while my hair from below is fine, flexible ....
Is this the straightener? The stress? SHAMPOO?

It 's really bizarre, I do not understand

likelikepenny
March 13th, 2017, 06:01 AM
A lot of people are multi-textured, it's not uncommon at all. If you're in good health, it's nothing to be concerned about. Also, hair texture and even colour can change with age, whether you've had a baby recently etc.

I wouldn't pull them out and I wouldn't worry about it :)

spidermom
March 13th, 2017, 08:01 AM
likelikepenny is right. Some of us are blessed with multiple textures. Pulling out hairs that you don't like will only result in thinner hair. Learn to work with what you have.

lapushka
March 13th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Hello, I left a comment concerning the appearance of hair thick, dark, frizzy to the crown of my head; (33 years old, no pill, ok hormones)
I had pulled them out, but they were still growing but now I find that they all have become coarse.
This concerns only the top hair; I do not know why they are like this now while my hair from below is fine, flexible ....
Is this the straightener? The stress? SHAMPOO?

It 's really bizarre, I do not understand

ALEXIAA, every post from you so far is a post about the "wiry" hairs and the difference in texture that you have. I have to say, I have gotten really curious now, and maybe it's time for you to post a picture for us?

ALEXIAA
March 14th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Sorry I can not post pictures. Unfortunately, there are two distinct textures: fine hair that undulates and hair very thick, black, thick on ALL the hair of the top of the head: they take the whole crown and concern whole patches 2cm thick!
I see that this problem is commonly encountered on this forum, but without ever finding an explanation and I am very afraid that it is the acquired kinking hair that leads to baldness !!!

Llama
March 14th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Sorry I can not post pictures. Unfortunately, there are two distinct textures: fine hair that undulates and hair very thick, black, thick on ALL the hair of the top of the head: they take the whole crown and concern whole patches 2cm thick!
I see that this problem is commonly encountered on this forum, but without ever finding an explanation and I am very afraid that it is the acquired kinking hair that leads to baldness !!!

Coarse hairs lead to baldness? What in the world? Lol

Obsidian
March 14th, 2017, 09:25 AM
The only way your kinky hairs will lead to baldness is if you continue to pull them out. Hormones change as we age, this can affect our hair and how it grows, its normal.

Why can't you post pictures? I think you have enough posts to do so. Another option is to upload them them to a site like tinypic.com and link them here.

Arctic
March 14th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Alexiaa is refering to a specific hair condition called Acquired Progressive Kinking:

http://www.hairscientists.org/hair-shaft-defects/kinking-hair

It seems like the condition might be connected to male pattern hair loss. However to my understanding the condition is pretty rare, (apparently even more so on females), and not all hair type changes towards kinkyness and wiryness have anything to do with this condition.

When one has hair changes that one gets worried about, it's very easy to start googling and suddenly it feels like every stange, rare condition fit you to the T. It's the same thing as people used to say that never read medical books, because suddenly you notice you have at least 20 serious diseases. :) I understand what Alexiaa is going through, as I have spent countless hours in the past trying to find solution to my own hairtype changes. And yes, I have bumped into this hair shaft defect during those searches.

Alexiaa I know you are very distressed, however I don't know if there is much to do about it other than with dermatological care. No-one in these forums can make your old hairtype change back. What we can do is to help you make the most of your new hair, and to accept it.

PS. I don't think Alexiaa needs to post photos or explain why she prefers not to if she doesn't want to.

lapushka
March 14th, 2017, 11:00 AM
PS. I don't think Alexiaa needs to post photos or explain why she prefers not to if she doesn't want to.

It *would* however help us see what the problem is. We sometimes are our worst critics, you know. And Arctic, it is hard to "diagnose" her just by her words. She may not have what you think she has. :flower: It's a guessing game for all of us.

Arctic
March 14th, 2017, 11:12 AM
I have not suggested she has any particular condition. But if someone says their hairtype has changed I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they know their hair and know if it changes. There is little hair forum strangers can help if person's hair type has changed (I mean started growing in different texture from the roots), not only because how little we know here about different possibilities. Also, photos are not always able to show the issue and sometimes it can be painful to post photos. No-one should be pressured to post photos in my opinion.

ETA: I agree it could be helpful to see photos, but she doesn't have to post any.

lapushka
March 14th, 2017, 11:51 AM
I have not suggested she has any particular condition. But if someone says their hairtype has changed I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they know their hair and know if it changes. There is little hair forum strangers can help if person's hair type has changed (I mean started growing in different texture from the roots), not only because how little we know here about different possibilities. Also, photos are not always able to show the issue and sometimes it can be painful to post photos. No-one should be pressured to post photos in my opinion.

ETA: I agree it could be helpful to see photos, but she doesn't have to post any.

I only suggested it because the only posts from the OP I have seen so far have all been about the same issue. So it must be present enough to want to have an answer to the issue, and in that case, after all this time, I think pictures would be helpful.

ALEXIAA
March 25th, 2017, 02:43 AM
Sorry, I do not want to post pictures. Moreover, we do not see the texture of this hair in photo !!! What is strange is that there are more and more: I was chatting with a girl the other day, and she told me that it could come from stress.
Me what stress me, it's those hair!

lapushka
March 25th, 2017, 04:54 AM
Sorry, I do not want to post pictures. Moreover, we do not see the texture of this hair in photo !!! What is strange is that there are more and more: I was chatting with a girl the other day, and she told me that it could come from stress.
Me what stress me, it's those hair!

Can you go to a dermatologist? Maybe do that next.

But all in all, I'm willing to bet it's normal. Dual textures, even triple textures is fairly common on one head of hair. And I don't think there's much you can do. :shrug:

hayheadsbird
March 25th, 2017, 05:00 AM
Hair will change over time. I now have waves and wurles coming through from previously 1b hair. It's pretty normal to have a mix of textures and hair types on the same head.

lapushka
March 25th, 2017, 05:05 AM
If it's not visible in a picture or IRL... maybe you're worrying a bit too much over it, ALEXIAA? Could that be it? Rest assured, it's perfectly normal to have this. All of us do! I do especially now that I'm going gray. And I know you're very worried, because you've posted so much about it so far. But really, you needn't worry. :flower: And if you are thinking it is not normal, then either post a picture (maybe we could manage to see) or go to a dermatologist and maybe they can help you. You have to do something if it worries you that much, right?

zirena
March 25th, 2017, 06:30 AM
I have had those coarse/wiry/curly/thick/dark hairs like you explain all throughout my hair (but more concentrated from the ear up and even more so around the crown) since I was a little girl! I don't think it's anything to worry about, you can just learn to work with it!
If I'm gentle with my hair and make sure it's moisturised, I find that I can keep them under control.

pamrlyn
March 25th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Hi Alexia - this is probably completely normal. let those wiry hairs alone. they will probably change texture again after about 2-3 inches of growth & become smooth. I think 95% of my wiry hairs do this. If you pull them out, it only makes things worse & makes your hair thin in spots. yes they do stick out & give you a fuzzy look. but it is normal.

I found my first wiry hair at the age of about 27 - and freaked out. told my husband - look! a pubic hair growing out of my head! :D

If you are still really worried that your hair might be thinning, it wouldn't hurt to get a complete bloodwork, to check thyroid condition & stuff, if only to ease your mind.

ALEXIAA
March 25th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Thank you for your answers! This kinky hair is concentrated on my crown and around my forehead: 1 SUR 2 has this thick texture, coarse and dry !! My hormones are ok

AutobotsAttack
March 25th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Most often times what you're speaking of is extremely common in hair textures of mine and the ones you're speaking of. It's isn't anything that needs to be worried about. Most often times it's just the cuticles are just doing their own thing. Every time I go through a recent relaxing session this happens in the front and crown area usually 2-3 starting from the scalp. It doesn't have to be a chemical that can cause. Things from brushing a certain way, heat temp in water, to the weather can cause what you're describing, and can can effect one, or an entire area of hairs.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 25th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Pulling out hairs that you find is also really really not a good idea.
Thats a easy way of I think creating a sort of alopecia, which is NOT a good thing. Then you really have to worry about going bald.

Hair textures change over time as we age. I have areas that are kinky and course above my ears, the hair there is thinner however and I have more "bald" spots in those areas. They are also the HARDEST to grow. But with lots of care they have grown to almost the same length as my overall length. Which has never happened.
Learn to take care of it and live with it.

Reyesuela
March 26th, 2017, 01:33 AM
Hair types often change with age. Be happy. It could add bulk to your pony.

ALEXIAA
March 27th, 2017, 02:43 AM
Thank you for your answers! I know that the hair changes with age but here it happened suddenly;
I did co wash for over a year with an after shampoo with silicone. I put on styling products. I never used shampoo.
I found my hair dry and I used a sulphate shampoo and I felt rough, dry hair at the crown of my head; It was a year and a half ago

Reyesuela
March 27th, 2017, 04:12 AM
The change in products let you feel it. :)

ALEXIAA
March 29th, 2017, 04:00 PM
other women? THANKS