PDA

View Full Version : Help! Hair texture wet vs. dry??

Barca
October 23rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Okay so here's my thing... I CO daily w/ suave naturals coconut, and add coconut oil while my hair is wet. The thing is, my hair looks like this (http://www.blendedbeauty.com/images/type2.jpg) while wet , and when it dries it looks like this (http://www.blendedbeauty.com/images/type3.jpg). Now while I love the fullness and fluffiness of my dried hair, my hair is still short (about 6 inches stretched out) I'd like to keep it looking relatively like it is in its wet condition, but without the drippy-ness of course. Any suggestions?

P.S. My hair isn't 100% healthy, which may be the problem (dry? porous?). Also when I use gel/cones to pull it into a small ponytail, the stretched part in sleek and smooth and shiny, while the actual tail is a puff.

;)

Barca
October 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
errrr...pretty please? :D

groque
October 23rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
bumping.

the only thing I know short of keeping your hair wet is grease.

any other suggestions??

Leabhar
October 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Maybe add more oil, or shea butter and oil? I like EVOO myself.

groque
October 23rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
yeah I agree add more oil. never tried shea butter myself but that sounds like a good idea.

Barca
October 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind... I kind of already douse my head in oil. It doesn't feel dry or hard when it dries, it just poofs! But maybe I'm not adding enough

intothemist1999
October 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hmmm, there was a website that I can't seem to find at the moment from a web search (I think I have the link on another computer). It was for hair of Afro-Americans and similar hair textures.

If I recall correctly, what they outlined was using a fair bit of conditioner in very wet hair, then to bit by bit work at brushing it while squeezing out the water and conditioner. Obviously it means you'd be leaving some conditioner in your hair...I don't think it would be BAD, but I know my skin used to react when I didn't rinse conditioner out fully, so I know that technique would really bug me. However, the way they described it all seemed sound.

spidermom
October 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
I'm afraid I don't know enough about your hair type to be of much help. When I want a wet look, I use gel. It brings out the curl. I don't know if that would help you, though. Good luck!

manderly
October 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
did you try the technique on the biracialhair.org site? Looks like shes got the hair you're looking for.

harley mama
October 23rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
Barca, have you ever checked this (http://www.mixedchicks.net/instructions.html) sight out? I used this method for a while and just used VO5 Tea Therapy conditioner. I hope this helps you.

Barca
October 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Actually, I've tried the techniques on biracialhair.org, but unfortunately since I cut off about 6 inches (relaxed ends) it doesn't have the length or weight enough to stay that way. Btw, Terri is a great help! We've emailed a few times back and forth and she's so helpful. I may check with her and ask her what she did before her hair was long. When my hair is at least shoulder length I don't seem to have the poof problem, but yes her hair is the look I'm going for! :) I think I may also be due for protein and moisture treatments. that also seems to help a bit. I haven't tried mixed chicks yet, because a lot of biracial hair products seem to be geared for finer strands, and mine are a bit coarser and need to be weighed down a bit. Really I'm afraid of it not working. Curly hair/mixed hair products tend to be a bit pricey- especially on my college student budget. It is on my list of things to try though.I think I may have to just wait for length.