PDA

View Full Version : Taking a teaspoon of coconut oil internally?

Etherielle
March 11th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Hello. Would taking a tablespoon or two of coconut oil per day help hair growth? Has anyone seen a positive effect on hair growth or quality from taking small amounts coconut or other oils internally? Thank you.

Islandgrrl
March 11th, 2017, 11:33 AM
I actually do this. I haven't really noticed any effect on my hair, but my skin, including my scalp, is less dry, and my nails are less brittle. I assume some positive effect extends to my hair, too, even if it's not obvious. My hair grows fast....typically 3/4-1" a month, and I have not seen an increase in growth rate since taking coconut oil internally.

Chromis
March 11th, 2017, 11:47 AM
I actually do this. I haven't really noticed any effect on my hair, but my skin, including my scalp, is less dry, and my nails are less brittle. I assume some positive effect extends to my hair, too, even if it's not obvious. My hair grows fast....typically 3/4-1" a month, and I have not seen an increase in growth rate since taking coconut oil internally.

Yes this, although I find it is simplest just to cook with it rather than eating it straight.

Arctic
March 11th, 2017, 01:06 PM
I personally haven't, but I give oils internally to my dog, and she has beatiful coat. My old dog had coarse dry coat but when I started to give her oils it became much softer and nicer to the touch. So with my old dog I was able to see the effect as it happened, while my current dog has enjoyed the benefits all her life with me. Now these both are short coated dogs, so they did not experience extra length gains.

meteor
March 11th, 2017, 01:44 PM
I've only taken teaspoons of oil internally like that when I was cooking all my food by steaming/poaching/boiling. I think it's just much easier to cook with a bit of oil instead. ;) Some people don't like coconut oil in cooking, but then it can always be just added to coffee or smoothie or something. I didn't find notice much difference in skin or hair, but I felt better overall.
For issues of brittleness of nails and hair, I think applying oil topically can help.

Llama
March 11th, 2017, 04:22 PM
I personally haven't, but I give oils internally to my dog, and she has beatiful coat. My old dog had coarse dry coat but when I started to give her oils it became much softer and nicer to the touch. So with my old dog I was able to see the effect as it happened, while my current dog has enjoyed the benefits all her life with me. Now these both are short coated dogs, so they did not experience extra length gains.

That would have been funny if they turned into long-haired dogs just from eating coconut oil :p

I have thought about cooking with coconut oil but I'm not sure what to use it with...maybe scrambled eggs? Anyone have any suggestions?

youngtundra
March 11th, 2017, 04:46 PM
That would have been funny if they turned into long-haired dogs just from eating coconut oil :p

I have thought about cooking with coconut oil but I'm not sure what to use it with...maybe scrambled eggs? Anyone have any suggestions?

I have cooked hashbrowns in coconut oil before and they were soooo good!

Chromis
March 11th, 2017, 05:18 PM

You can also saute veggies in it. Some people use it as a spread on bread (there is a local company that makes some sort of coconut oil chocolate nut spread actually that looks delicious but I have not tried it). I like making fat bombs with it. Basically anything you can cook with butter with, you can also use coconut oil. I am a big fan of butter too and bacon grease, but we eat a high-fat diet/low-carb diet. I hardly ever get a dry slap anymore and my skin is much better and my husband's acne improved dramatically. We've eaten this way for several years (and were not low fat before either).

Carolyn
March 11th, 2017, 05:43 PM
I cook with it sometimes and it's delicious. I eat a spoonful of it now and then too. I make my coffee "bulletproof coffee" by adding butter, coconut oil, and heavy whipping cream. It is so yummy.

spidermom
March 11th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Slightly off topic, but I recently had my upper teeth removed, and I find it very soothing to press coconut oil against my gums with my tongue, then it melts and I swallow it (bleh!).

Deborah
March 11th, 2017, 08:33 PM
It is the best oil ever for popping popcorn!

hayheadsbird
March 12th, 2017, 01:42 AM

I use on bread or toast when out of butter.
Cook with it when frying for some dishes, it's fab for making pancakes!
Popcorn is a fav in this house too. Not tried it in a smoothie or coffee yet but that's on my list for this week now.

Hairkay
March 12th, 2017, 05:08 AM
Yes this, although I find it is simplest just to cook with it rather than eating it straight.

I agree. I don't see why we have to purposefully medicinise food. The title of the thread, "taking it internally" suggest the the most common way coconut oil is used is external. It was mostly ingested. It's not a new food.

I usually cook with coconut milk which still contains the coconut oil in it. It's great in some stews (meat/fish and or vegetables) and curries. We have a version of soda bread in the Caribbean that is made with coconut milk instead of sour milk. I've even made dairy free cakes using concentrated coconut milk instead of butter.

Arctic
March 12th, 2017, 05:16 AM

LOL, thanks for the giggles!

Chromis
March 12th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I agree. I don't see why we have to purposefully medicinise food. The title of the thread, "taking it internally" suggest the the most common way coconut oil is used is external. It was mostly ingested. It's not a new food.

I usually cook with coconut milk which still contains the coconut oil in it. It's great in some stews (meat/fish and or vegetables) and curries. We have a version of soda bread in the Caribbean that is made with coconut milk instead of sour milk. I've even made dairy free cakes using concentrated coconut milk instead of butter.

Hear, hear! I also love using coconut cream.

I do also have a second jar of coconut oil that lives in the washroom. :laugh:

Lady Sophia
March 12th, 2017, 11:32 AM
I like to mix it with some herbal tea or lemon and lukewarm water. Also, I have tried to put it directly on my scalp. Not sure about hair growth but is is great for hair shine!

Jennah
March 12th, 2017, 11:44 AM
I eat one spoon sometimes or add it to the coffee because I heard it helps the brain and cures Alzheimerīs so I think itīs good. :)

Arctic
March 13th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Cures Alzheimer's? Sorry, can't believe it.