PDA

View Full Version : how to get scent out of my hair?

moss
March 10th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Hi all

i tried the tresemme undone yesterday and i have a lot of scent in my hair still today. it's making me nauseous and headachey. how do i get it out?

clarifying shampoo? vinegar? baking soda? ugh

meteor
March 10th, 2017, 10:30 AM
I'd simply use a clarifying shampoo with no/minimal fragrance and focus it on length, not only on scalp. It's because the length can hold onto scents, kind of like textiles, especially if it gets wet/damp, the scent can sort of get "revived" in humid environment more.

I'd avoid baking soda (which is way too alkaline and can be abrasive) and undiluted vinegar (way too acidic). It's best not to deviate too far from your scalp and hair's natural pH. :flower: A simple clarifying shampoo or just some SLS/SLES shampoo should be more than enough, esp if it's unscented or lightly scented.

vpatt
March 10th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Oh wow, this is the shampoo I wanted to try. Is it a bad smell or just over powering? I would probably wash with a conditioner to get the smell out and not dry out the hair. But maybe rinsing with water and then using a vinegar rinse would work. Let us know what works. I am sure you will get more knowledgeable suggestions than mine.

**Ah....I didn't think vinegar would be bad, but I was wrong.

moss
March 10th, 2017, 10:36 AM
it's just a really strong smell. i tried rinsing it all out yesterday, and then applied a different conditioner over top of it, but the smell is still there and overpowering--my husband even noticed it, this morning. i'll try an sls shampoo and see what happens. if it's still smelly, maybe i'll try a second wash. i'm going to have to really deep condition! wish me luck :) :) :)

meteor
March 10th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Undiluted would be bad (the pH usually measures between 2 and 3), but well diluted should be pretty safe (some hair seems to respond badly even to relatively mild pH variations though), but I still don't know if vinegar would necessarily be great for fixing the scent situation. I'd imagine it could make the overall scent more vinegar-y, and, combined with that underlying product, maybe not so pleasant. It's hard to predict though... but I'd just go with some neutral-smelling shampoo. :flower:

neko_kawaii
March 10th, 2017, 10:46 AM
I've been in the same situation and ended up washing with my regular shampoo a couple times before the scent of the conditioner was lessened enough it stopped giving me a headache and breathing issues.

Obsidian
March 10th, 2017, 11:40 AM
The lingering scent of undone is one of the things I love about it, sorry its making you sick:( Washing with my regular shampoo always removed it for me.

Anje
March 10th, 2017, 01:08 PM
A potential problem with vinegar is that a strong rinse of that still might have a bit of a lingering scent, and moss is apparently having a day where scents are bothersome. I'd be afraid that even if it worked, doing a vinegar rinse would be overwhelming scent-wise.

I'd agree with the suggestion to use a clarifying shampoo. If you need to condition, use something that's not going to be bothersome, even if it's a bit light. You can do a deep conditioning on a non-migraine day.

lapushka
March 10th, 2017, 01:09 PM
That sucks that lingering scents can give you that issue. Especially Tresemme and Herbal Essences, Pantene, the like, it all is very well scented. So maybe go for hypo-allergenic things and unscented things (if you can find them).

Just a regular wash with your regular shampoo should be enough.

What was your routine like (products) before this happened?

moss
March 10th, 2017, 02:16 PM
i washed it a couple of times with a hypoallergenic sls (down under naturals) and it's fine now. whew. i usually use hypoallergenic when i can find it , or coconut scented seems to be fine, or argan. i was trying out the undone because it's supposed to work for my hair type. it was an experiment, and now i know it's not going to work for me! LOL

i used to do rinses with diluted vinegar all the time when i no-poo'd with baking soda. When it dries, the scent all goes away, it flattens the cuticle and makes super shiney hair. that was many years ago! i had to stop using the baking soda because too much hair was falling out! :) i think it probably clogged up the follicles or changed ph too much or something. i've been thinking about trying out the rinses again though.

meteor
March 10th, 2017, 02:21 PM
^ Yay! Congrats on getting the smell out so quickly, moss! :cheer:

Tosca
March 10th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Oh wow, this is the shampoo I wanted to try. Is it a bad smell or just over powering? I would probably wash with a conditioner to get the smell out and not dry out the hair. But maybe rinsing with water and then using a vinegar rinse would work. Let us know what works. I am sure you will get more knowledgeable suggestions than mine.

It is a strong smell, but not 'bad'. To me it smells very salon-y. I'd smell it before you buy it, just in case.