PDA

View Full Version : Hair forks and sticks

Wravyn
March 9th, 2017, 03:12 PM
My hair is an inch or so away from reaching SL (yay!) and I'd like to get a hair fork, but I'm not sure where to start.

Is there a secret to which type of fork works best for certain hair types or length?

Fia
March 10th, 2017, 03:17 AM
You want tines that push through your bun so that they end up on the other side, otherwise it won't hold the updo securely. On the other hand you don't want too long tines as they will catch on things when you turn your head and make the updo feel unsecure. Best tip - put your hair up in a bun or whatever other style you want to secure with the fork and measure the diameter of your bun and add 1/2 inch to an inch to that measurement, depending on how much of the tine you want to show on the other side of the bun.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 10th, 2017, 03:25 AM
My hair is an inch or so away from reaching SL (yay!) and I'd like to get a hair fork, but I'm not sure where to start.

Is there a secret to which type of fork works best for certain hair types or length?

You have pretty much the same hair type as me :). The forks I love best are from 60th St on Etsy, they glide into hair so beautifully and hold firmly, and they are light, you don't feel them at all. My hair was a little longer than yours when I bought my first fork but you might be able to do a half up with one. Happy growing!

lapushka
March 10th, 2017, 06:19 AM

If you can do a bun, you can wear a fork. It all depends on that. I think at shoulder, the chances of that are pretty slim, even with ii hair. So you might have to wait a bit.

You can test it, with a pencil. If it will hold.

Otherwise you might have to resort to wearing a peacock twist for a while, or a French twist, or Gibson tuck. Those are pretty styles too. And you won't need a fork or stick for those; a French twist can technically be done with a fork or stick, but I think pins (spin pins) might be better.

Wravyn
March 11th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Otherwise you might have to resort to wearing a peacock twist for a while, or a French twist, or Gibson tuck. Those are pretty styles too. And you won't need a fork or stick for those; a French twist can technically be done with a fork or stick, but I think pins (spin pins) might be better.

I've never heard of these. I'll look them up, though. Thank you!

Wravyn
March 11th, 2017, 01:39 PM
You have pretty much the same hair type as me :). The forks I love best are from 60th St on Etsy, they glide into hair so beautifully and hold firmly, and they are light, you don't feel them at all. My hair was a little longer than yours when I bought my first fork but you might be able to do a half up with one. Happy growing!

Thank you, I'll look into their forks.

Wravyn
March 11th, 2017, 01:40 PM
You want tines that push through your bun so that they end up on the other side, otherwise it won't hold the updo securely. On the other hand you don't want too long tines as they will catch on things when you turn your head and make the updo feel unsecure. Best tip - put your hair up in a bun or whatever other style you want to secure with the fork and measure the diameter of your bun and add 1/2 inch to an inch to that measurement, depending on how much of the tine you want to show on the other side of the bun.

Great advice, thank you!

Wravyn
March 12th, 2017, 07:13 AM
I'm so excited...

I just wanted to share with everyone what I chose:
3 4-inch hair forks
https://img1.etsystatic.com/102/0/9994073/il_570xN.1100047203_9sv5.jpg

I figured having multiple smaller ones would give me more options to play around while it's still short. (and, of course, be useful when it's longer).

likelikepenny
March 12th, 2017, 10:40 AM
I'm so excited...

I just wanted to share with everyone what I chose:
3 4-inch hair forks
https://img1.etsystatic.com/102/0/9994073/il_570xN.1100047203_9sv5.jpg

I figured having multiple smaller ones would give me more options to play around while it's still short. (and, of course, be useful when it's longer).

I've been eyeing these on etsy for awhile now. They're very beautiful and I hope you get a lot of use of them. Congratulations :)

Wravyn
March 13th, 2017, 11:01 AM
I've been eyeing these on etsy for awhile now. They're very beautiful and I hope you get a lot of use of them. Congratulations :)

Thank you! I hope I do too :)

Hay_jules
March 13th, 2017, 12:00 PM
I just wanted to add that depending on which end of ii you're on, you might be able to get your hair into a bun pretty soon. Im the lower end mysef, and i was able to do a lwb held by chopsticks shortly after cbl. And it was nice to have them on hand ready. I also highly recommend spin pins (as lapushka mentioned above), they hold my small little buns and twists quite well and even if it looks like it could fall out its very secure.