PDA

View Full Version : Need help/tips to cure scalp eczema (seborrheic dermatitis)

rainbowvgn
March 9th, 2017, 02:50 PM
I've had problems with eczema as a child, both on the scalp and body. For a long period of time I dyed my hair constantly, both box-dye and henna, and the problems were completely gone during this period. Now I'm trying my best to stay as natural as possible and growing out my hair. I haven't dyed it for half a year and I never use any products except for conditioner and the occasional shampoo. I've been trying to go with no 'poo method for a while now, because of my otherwise damaged hair, but it seems like my scalp only gets worse. It isn't necessarily dry eczema, but it definitely feels like a layer of greasy dandruff (gross I know, sorry).

Now I'm thinking I should use shampoo regularly but my second problem is I also have eczema on my hands and can't use SLS/sulfate and perfumed soap or shampoo at all. I need tips. What should I look for in haircare, both shampoo and conditioner? (Bare in mind I live in Sweden and might not be able to get access to specific brands of haircare, but I'm open for suggestions and tips!) :confused:

Also I've tried cassia treatments the same way I did with henna (I don't want the colour, plus I'm too lazy for regular treatments) which both seems to work well with my scalp, but dry out my already damaged and weak hair.

My hair is above shoulder length and I'm trying to grow it out long and natural.

lapushka
March 9th, 2017, 03:19 PM
1/ Do you have eczema or SD? Big big difference.
2/ You need to be washing/cleansing your scalp with a condition like SD and keep it squeaky clean or it will act up. If you are going through a flare-up, only the medicated shampoos will work. But that is for SD.

Have you ever been to a dermatologist, because then you'd know exactly what to do.

I've long given up "natural" for my SD, it just doesn't mix!

The key to growing long hair is scalp health, and you need to be doing whatever it is you need to do, even if that means giving up going natural! It's about what your hair/scalp wants, not about what you want for your hair/scalp. That's the biggest thing here.

Ophidian
March 9th, 2017, 08:37 PM
When you say no poo, are you talking about something like water only with occasional s&c?. I totally agree that you have to give your scalp what it wants, and also that it might be helpful to get a diagnosis if you are unsure what exactly you are dealing with. Give your history, it does seem like your scalp might need more cleansing than you are getting with your current routine. That said, there is a middle ground if you are sensitive to harsher cleansers and perfumes (as you indicate) in gentle shampoos that are meant for sensitive skin. I'm thinking fragrance-free, mild cleansers, no dyes, etc (no idea about Swedish brands though, sorry!).

Of course there is the fact that some conditions just respond better to stronger cleansers like lapushka said, but this might vary from person to person as well as condition to condition. So maybe you would benefit from something a lot stronger. Then again, maybe you would benefit from using a mild shampoo but on a more regular basis.

ETA another thought is that if you want to protect your hair but make sure your scalp is getting what it needs, you could consider things like oiling the length prior to your wash so you get some protection without sacrificing your scalp health. Think of them as two different animals with potentially different needs :).

Shorty89
March 9th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Lapushka is right. SD and scalp eczema are very different and usually require opposite treatments. I have scalp eczema and I use CO and oil flaking parches on my scalp when they occur. Strong shampoos (like those used for SD) make my eczema weep.

rainbowvgn
March 10th, 2017, 01:35 AM
My no 'poo method is using cleansing conditioner, no shampoo except for when I really feel I need it, and those times it's an SLS shampoo without silicone or oils.

I don't know if it's SD or just another type of scalp eczema but it doesn't look like the photos of SD when I google it, it's not red, dry or in patches. It's like a layer all over my scalp, sometimes it's very itchy and gets under my nails whenever I scratch. It's not dry flakes but occasionally looks like dandruff when I brush or comb my hair too intensely. It feels like a build up of something on my scalp, it's always there except for when I did dye my hair with either henna or boxdyes.

My dad had a similar problem and used a strong medical shampoo, though this was ages ago, I don't think my skin could handle those harsh shampoos.

lucid
March 10th, 2017, 02:38 AM
1. Get a dermatologist to check out your scalp and give you a proper diagnosis - then you'll know how to treat it :)

2. Product recommendation: I really like the new Define "fri for" producs. I strongly dislike all other define products I have tried, but I'm so happy with the "fri for" shampoo and conditioner. I think it is available throughout Scandinavia. It cleans well and moisturizes at the same time, and leaves my hair really nice.

lapushka
March 10th, 2017, 04:56 AM
1. Get a dermatologist to check out your scalp and give you a proper diagnosis - then you'll know how to treat it :)

Definitely. This is your place to start. If you don't know what's what you can spend a whole lot of money on products that aren't any good (this would be me for *years*), or you can go to the doctor and find out and get it sorted. :flower:

Ophidian
March 10th, 2017, 01:31 PM
All of the above for sure, but also just wanted to mention that even scalps that need mild products can't always deal with conditioner. When you wash with shampoo, do you notice that it clears up at all?