PDA

View Full Version : Essential Oils & dh do not mix!

Elenna
March 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM
I had a problem with dh saying that he didn't like the essential oils - cedar, thyme, rosemary and sage that I was using for hair growth.

So now, these just sit in the medicine cabinet. Anyone have any ideas how to use these and not smell like a herbal garden? Note, I didn't say skunk. Although, I do like Pepe la pew.

Elenna

chrissy-b
March 21st, 2008, 08:37 PM
You might try adding a more pungent fragrance to the mix. Something that overpowers the others. Maybe something your DH really loves the smell of? The only thing I can think of is vanilla. I LOVE vanilla.

girlcat36
March 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
I have the same problem. Fortunately(or unfortunately), we have separate bedrooms due to someone's(not me!) snoring problem. So I can use oils at night no problem. But getting in the car with him and smelling like EO's is a big problem.

jessie58
March 21st, 2008, 08:59 PM
My husband has loved Patchouli oil since the day he met me and I was wearing it. So I haven't worn it for years until 2 years ago when I mixed some essential oil potions. I did smell a bit herby and then when I added the patchouli, my husband kept on hugging me and sniffing my hair. Not only that but his friends would do the same and tell me I smelled good. One time I had a young man of about 25 standing beside me at a rugby game and he kept sniffing the air. All I could think was that I smelled like an herb garden and he probably hated it. After a while he discovered it was me and then moved closer to me and almost put his nose in my hair. He liked it. I know some men who detest patchouli but for some reason in the hair concoctions, they like it.

ETA: I also put a drop of Patchouli in my defrizz spray and use it every day and DH says I smell good every single day.

BrianaFineHair
March 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM
someone's(not me!) snoring problem.

As a matter of fact, my dh is in the recliner snooooozing and snoring about right now. :o I know they can't help it, but it's a good thing he does not get upset when at night in bed I wake him to tell him to roll over because of his snoring. He feels bad so he just rolls over...

As for the EO, you can use them mixed with water to clean the bathrooms.

Mahars
March 21st, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hmm, I second the idea of mixing it with something yummy smelling. You could also try doing a scalp rub with oils just an hour before you shower - that way you won't smell for very long.

Jessie58: Darn it, now I really want Patchouli. It sounds like the magical man magnet I've been waiting for all my life. You guys are such enablers!

Elenna
March 22nd, 2008, 01:11 AM
Chrissy – vanilla is my favorite flavor, and it is interesting that it is used in fragrances too. I’ve some good vanilla in the kitchen that I could try too.

Girlcat36 – well snoring is a very personal thing.

Jessie58 – where do you buy Patchouli oil? I don’t know about strange young men sniffing my hair though ;-)

BrianaFineHair – is it politically correct to call this music to your ears?

Did you really clean your bathroom with essential oils? I tend to clean with natural products and nontoxic products anyway.

Mahars – is this a long enough time for the essential oils to be effective? I think that I just answered my own question because some of it is bound to steep into the scalp.

In reference to Patchouli being a magical man magnet – heh, heh, heh! :smile:

Patrycja
March 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
my DH told me when I did a heavy oiling using Tea Tree for the first time on my roots that my head smelled like it was on fire.What????:confused:

He hates Lavender EO and that's one of my favorites so I just make sure I do oilings using the Lavender when I know he's not around.
jessie58 my husband has said that he dislikes patchuli but its interesting of what you do and get such a good reaction.I really need to look into buying the oil.

lora410
March 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
My dbf hates the smell of the sweet sucess oil :lol: I use it anyway.

Sarahmoon
March 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
I think the best idea is to take your husband to the shop where you bought the other EOs and ask him to choose one or two he thinks smell nice. You can add one of those to your hair growth mix :)

jessie58
March 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Well I think that Sarahmoon has a good idea, let DH pick out something he likes the smell of.

Weird, Lora, I hate lavendar and so does my DH. I find that men and women's dislike of scents are so very different. You don't know how many times I have heard men say that they hate sickly sweet perfumes or strong perfumes but the women who slather them on, just love them.
The scents that we are attracted to on a man are very often of no consequence to the man.
They sort of have a meh, I guess this smells good attitude and if their wife likes it, they buy it. That's not to say that there arne't a few men out there with discerning tastes.

I find that Patchouli can be an awfully powerful/potent scent. Too much is overpowering and heavy and stinky. I think that many people do not like it when it it ladled on. I have worn just a hint of it for many years and I can't count the number of times that both men and women have told me I smell fantastic. If too much is worn, it smells like PATCHOULI. If you just add a little, it smells earthy, sexy and intriguing.

Ilovemycop, you could try buying the patchouli without telling DH and just putting a tiny bit on, I mean tiny, just inside your wrists or in your neck, not even one whole drop. Be sure to wash your hands after applying it. As soon as it wears into your skin, it will start to take on your own scent, but I must stress just a hint is needed. Then see if your DH notices and likes it.

I was shopping in Pier 1 a few years ago and they have millions of scented candles in the store. I was standing in one spot and asked the salesgirl what was that really nice candle that I was smelling in that corner. She and I looked at all the candles and they all smelled stinky. So I continued my shopping and all of a sudden I smelled this smell in another section. I started looking all around for that scent. I asked another sales girl if they used a room spray but she said no. A few minutes later I was in another section of the store and there it was again. It suddenly dawned on me that there was a lady nearby who was just in the other section standing near me a few minutes ago. I actually followed her to make sure it was her that I was smelling and then stopped her to ask her what she was wearing. Patchouli of course. She said that she is stopped by both men and women to ask what she is wearing all the time. So proving my point that if you put a tiny drop on, it does not have that distinct Patchouli scent as the day wears on, it becomes a very sort of personal and warm.

In fact I have stopped two other people in my life to ask what they are wearing. I really dislike most scents and when I smell one I like, I always ask. It's not very often I can find something that appeals to me.

Elenna: I buy patchouli in the shops that sell Indian things and Spirit In the Sky scents. Many many stores carry Patchouli but you have to make sure it is the pure one, not mixed with other scents. It is also available in health food stores in the essential oils section. I believe it's not very expensive but in any case it lasts forever because less is more with this one.

Elenna
March 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Sarahmoon -- thank you for the idea.

Jessie58 -- lavender does have a strong scent.

I'll look for patchouli at my neighborhood healthly food stores, but as you say a little goes a long way. I wonder if Mt. Rose Herbs has this scent in stock?

Funny, I don't mind the smell of individual candles; it just gets a bit confusing with all the scents clashing.

vdhendrix
November 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
orange, neroli, lemon and lemongrass EO's all smell very good to

ChloeDharma
November 23rd, 2009, 02:42 AM
Another one that can have quite a positive effect in terms of male attention is ylang ylang, it's also good for hair growth.
It seems a shame to waste the oils you have though, i'd just use them for daytime scalp oilings and wash them off before bed.