PDA

View Full Version : Anyone cut layers, or do you all keep it one length?

SheWhoCariesSun
March 7th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Wondering if everyone here pretty much trims their own hair, or if any of you still go to the salon? Get your hair "shaped" or let it all grow one length? :eye:

Groovy Granny
March 7th, 2017, 11:36 AM
I trim my own hair now, and a year ago it reached all one length after growing out my layers over the past few years.

I do a blend of Feye's and 'Spidermom's under the chin' methods for a blunt/slight U hemline.

draysmir
March 7th, 2017, 11:38 AM
I've been trimming my hair for the last couple years now (only trimmed a few times so far). I got a short haircut and layers over two and a half years ago, so once I have trimmed out all of my layers from that haircut, I will then be letting it grow all one length. I have been growing it out with my layers, but trimming more than needed to help cut out my layers. :) I'm aiming for just a straight across blunt hemline once my hair is all one length.

Rebel Rebel
March 7th, 2017, 11:52 AM
I have trimmed my own hair for years because hairdressers seem to take more than I like. I still trim my own hair even now that my boyfriend is a hairdresser. I might have him check it for accuracy but I like to do it myself.
As for layers, I've never wanted them but have them from chemical damage. I'm growing for one length and just do mini trims infrequently.

alimc
March 7th, 2017, 11:54 AM
After my pixie cut well over a year ago ive only had one mullet trim (done by a friend) and i dont plan on going near a salon anytime soon.
Having had layers all my life, and always having had a 'style', its brilliant to see the difference in my hair from just letting it be.... i've been surprised by the texture and wave which has appeared!
I do rather like the look of fairytale ends too :heartbeat. I look foreard to those....

lapushka
March 7th, 2017, 12:06 PM
There's 2 methods on here:

1/ blunt cuts: Feye's self-trimming method:
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

2/ layered cuts: compact cut method:

a) ponytail on top of the head and cut a piece off (longer layers)
b) ponytail on top of forehead and cut a piece off (short to longest layers)

--> layered compact cut not recommended for hair shorter than BSL (layers will be *SUPER*short)

I do 2/b) and I'm *very* happy with the results. I am a iii and it takes a lot of bulk out of my hair. I can't go shorter than hip though, or it will be too short. I have layers now and they range from almost APL all the way to hip. So you see you can't go much shorter or you'll have very short layers in front.

Decoy24601
March 7th, 2017, 12:09 PM
I trim my own hair with feye's method, into a deep U/slight V, all one length.

I *hate* layers in my hair. I'm in the process of growing out my last few inches of layers that I got years ago and I can't wait to get rid of them. I plan on keeping my hair all one length.

Anje
March 7th, 2017, 12:17 PM
I've been doing all my own haircuts for more than 10 years now. Which is fine with me, since I always felt like going to the salon was a real pain.

Most of the time, I would ponytail my hair, either low in back for a blunt, straight-across cut, or under my chin for a slight U.

It's worth mentioning that my hair is slightly wavy and not terribly thick. I tend to think that layered haircuts (and fairytale ends on the other extreme) look really good on people with curly or thick hair, while more blunt all-one-length cuts maximize the thickness at the ends for those of us who don't have as much volume.

Lauraes
March 7th, 2017, 12:28 PM
My mom trims my hair for me. She was going to become a hair stylist at one time but went another route instead. Anyways, I prefer a very slight U shape or blunt hemline.

Fia
March 7th, 2017, 12:32 PM
I trim every 3 months at my local longhair salon. Layers IMO are meant for wavy/curly hair to enhance the natural movement in the hair. On straight hair, and especially straight hair that isn't overly thick, it just detracts from the overall look. That, and also that layers would be a royal pain with slippery hair like mine and only fall out of updos is why I keep it all one length.

Olavi
March 7th, 2017, 12:38 PM
I got myself layers using compact cut summer 2015, because I HATE blunt and straight ends in my hair. Since then I have S&D'd in the attempt of getting fairytale ends. If fairytale ends won't suit me in the end, I will just re-cut layers.

lapushka
March 7th, 2017, 12:41 PM
I trim every 3 months at my local longhair salon. Layers IMO are meant for wavy/curly hair to enhance the natural movement in the hair. On straight hair, and especially straight hair that isn't overly thick, it just detracts from the overall look. That, and also that layers would be a royal pain with slippery hair like mine and only fall out of updos is why I keep it all one length.

My mom has i to i/ii hair and has all one length. It's *great* for her! I'm a iii and I need the airiness that layers can provide, also it takes the weight out of my hair, and makes it so that I can have classic length. All one length becomes a pain at around waist, that's the most I can do without layers.

ravenreed
March 7th, 2017, 12:45 PM
I usually do a ponytail on my forehead to trim my layers. It's super easy. I can't do it on top of my head anymore because my ends are longer than my arms can reach.

littlestarface
March 7th, 2017, 12:49 PM
I keep it all one length I hate layers n think they look not good. I trim my own hair with spidermoms technique.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 7th, 2017, 12:55 PM
I keep it all one length I hate layers n think they look not good. I trim my own hair with spidermoms technique.

So how do you get the U-shape? It looks so lovely on you.

lapushka
March 7th, 2017, 12:57 PM
I usually do a ponytail on my forehead to trim my layers. It's super easy. I can't do it on top of my head anymore because my ends are longer than my arms can reach.

If your arms can't reach, then put the first elastic to where you can still reach, pull the ponytail down and all while preserving the consistency of the ponytail, continue putting elastics in it all down the length. Done. Did I make sense? Don't know how else to explain it.

littlestarface
March 7th, 2017, 01:24 PM
So how do you get the U-shape? It looks so lovely on you.

Thank you sarah:blossom: I do how spidermom used to, split my hair half in the back and bring them over my shoulders tie both together in the front and cut off the ends. I did this last year in June and it still holding its shape even tho its grown quiet a bit.

Groovy Granny
March 7th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Thank you sarah:blossom: I do how spidermom used to, split my hair half in the back and bring them over my shoulders tie both together in the front and cut off the ends. I did this last year in June and it still holding its shape even tho its grown quiet a bit.

I do the same....easy :thumbsup:

Occasionally I way go over it with Feye's....just to double check or tweak it.

But usually it is 'ponytail and snip'...done!

Do you look straight ahead while securing the ponytail?

I usually do.

Frankenstein
March 7th, 2017, 01:57 PM
I go to the salon to have mine trimmed into a blunt cut.

littlestarface
March 7th, 2017, 02:04 PM
I do the same....easy :thumbsup:

Occasionally I way go over it with Feye's....just to double check or tweak it.

But usually it is 'ponytail and snip'...done!

Do you look straight ahead while securing the ponytail?

I usually do.

Yea same I look straight forward.

meteor
March 7th, 2017, 02:10 PM
I prefer the look of my hair (wavy, iii+) down when it's quite layered, and it also feels lighter, but unfortunately I don't trust salons anymore and I don't like the process of growing out layers.
I also really love doing braids, and they seem to work better on one-length hair, simply because they end up being smoother, no taper or wispies sticking out... I find one-length hair a bit easier to manipulate for braiding. So I stick with simple U-shaped/blunt cuts and I try not to get frequent trims, because freshly cut blunt ends don't fit under updos well and tend to unravel or stick out too much from buns, like a fan.
It's just a preference thing and whatever works better for you and your needs. :)

Groovy Granny
March 7th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Yea same I look straight forward.

:thumbsup:

Your hemline is gorgeous :thud:

hypersensitive
March 7th, 2017, 02:26 PM
I trim my own hair, and it's all one length. I'm not high maintenance or anything. I don't need a fancy hair cut. Think of how much money I've saved over the years!

lapushka
March 7th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Yes, it's been quite some time that I went to the hairdresser. Last year my hair was trimmed (by my mom) 4 times, so that was 200 euro saved right there. And my mom cuts & colors her own hair, which is significantly more expensive at the salon, also 4 times a year, so that's about 80 x 4, 320 euro, so together we save around 500 euro a year.

This year I am no-trimming though, and maybe next year too. It pays to cut back a large amount of inches one time and then to let it grow back out in years to follow. ;)

Carolyn
March 7th, 2017, 02:39 PM
I've had layers in the past and have grown them out once again. I would never attempt to cut or trim layers in my hair. I now have a blunt cut which I love. I get it trimmed at a salon or I have a friend do it. It's been decades since I've had a bad salon experience. I stopped highlighting so I don't mind paying for a trim every 3-4 months.

littlestarface
March 7th, 2017, 02:41 PM
:thumbsup:

Your hemline is gorgeous :thud:

Thank you honey:smooch:! I'm so glad I found this way to trim cuz feyes way was wiggitywhack!

Groovy Granny
March 7th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Thank you honey:smooch:! I'm so glad I found this way to trim cuz feyes way was wiggitywhack!

I agree....I lost more using that method than I care to think about, and I rarely use it :tmi:

'Under the chin' is pretty reliable that ONE SNIP will do it :thumbsup:

Kake
March 7th, 2017, 02:54 PM

I think I need to try spidermom's. My hair is not straight from my last attempt at Feye's, but I can't correct it, as it always looks right when I ponytail it again to try and fix it. But I'm worried that with spidermom's I'll end up with longer sides and shorter in the middle. I'm scared.:scared:

littlestarface
March 7th, 2017, 03:04 PM
I think I need to try spidermom's. My hair is not straight from my last attempt at Feye's, but I can't correct it, as it always looks right when I ponytail it again to try and fix it. But I'm worried that with spidermom's I'll end up with longer sides and shorter in the middle. I'm scared.:scared:

That scared me too lol but this way is much safer trust me. With feyes I always had lopsided hair hahaha so embarrassing.

Tosca
March 7th, 2017, 03:05 PM
I cut it all one length straight across, but due to multiple large sheds, I have a lot of taper. I'm currently maintaining my length at classic to try and reduce the amount of taper I have. My mother trims my hair for me.

Islandgrrl
March 7th, 2017, 03:16 PM
I usually trim my own hair. But I had a professional haircut over the summer that included layers (and yeah, the guy did an amazing job) to thin things out a bit because my hair is thick and heavy. I like it just fine, but I'm back to trimming myself.....just a bit off the bottom to keep things nice. I can't confidently trim layers on myself, so they'll eventually go away.

Aphra
March 7th, 2017, 05:08 PM
APL and longer, I like it one length, and I'm switching to self-trimming, because a small blunt trim doesn't seem worth the time and money of going to a hairdresser.

Above shoulder it has to have layers to avoid the triangular wedge of doom, and I invest money in that because a really good cut that works with my natural hair fall will grow out for 6 months without needing a trim, and will lie right with a simple detangling and thus be the easiest lowest maintenance hair ever. Whereas a bad cut is a terrible annoying thing.

unheardletters
March 7th, 2017, 05:11 PM
My hair is very poofy if I have no layers, so I always have a lot of layers in my hair.

spidermom
March 7th, 2017, 05:16 PM
I let mine grow blunt until I was sick of it, then I had face-framing layers cut in until I was sick of that, then I had bangs added, then I had the whole kit-n-kaboodle layered until I was sick of that, and now I have shoulder length hair with layering at the ends and no bangs. I plan to phase through several styles at this length. Then who knows? Grow out again? Cut shorter?

Katia_k
March 7th, 2017, 05:27 PM
I got much more bounce and movement once I cut layers into my hair, though I keep them very long, to the point that they aren't popping out everywhere. When I got them cut in, I told the stylist that I really needed to be able to do braids and buns well, and she did great with that. I'm not sure how my hair would look with blunt ends, but I don't really want to find out.

That being said, I'd like to start cutting it myself, after my last trip to the salon where she told me I needed to lose 6 inches of damage (there's some but it's not *crazy* bad) and get a cut every 3 weeks to get rid of it. I've been scared to do so with the layers, but this compact cut thing is intriguing me, and I'm going to do more research on that. Anyone have any major "avoid disaster" tips on that? lol

Aredhel
March 7th, 2017, 06:08 PM
I had layers for quite some time in my life before I realised that it made my already thin hair look even thinner! I find layers to look amazing on thick hair though. My sister has 2a/C/iii WL hair (major sibling hair envy) and layers work so well for her and make her hair much easier to work with. :)

spidermom
March 7th, 2017, 06:40 PM

That won't happen. Your sides have less distance to travel to the front, and your middle-back has longer to travel. So somewhat more gets cut off the sides, and you will get a U hem. Just make sure everything comes forward smoothly. When you first divide your hair down the back and bring half forward of each shoulder, it will be like this |||0||| (back hair, side hair, front hair, head, front hair, side hair, back hair). When you combine this hair into a ponytail under your chin and in front of your neck, you want to make sure that it maintains the same position. It becomes\\\0///. As long as you don't allow your hairs to get crossed up, you should achieve a nice U hem.

Rebel Rebel
March 7th, 2017, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=Aphra;3377365]

Above shoulder it has to have layers to avoid the triangular wedge of doom

I've seen this! So funny.

Llama
March 7th, 2017, 07:39 PM
That won't happen. Your sides have less distance to travel to the front, and your middle-back has longer to travel. So somewhat more gets cut off the sides, and you will get a U hem. Just make sure everything comes forward smoothly. When you first divide your hair down the back and bring half forward of each shoulder, it will be like this |||0||| (back hair, side hair, front hair, head, front hair, side hair, back hair). When you combine this hair into a ponytail under your chin and in front of your neck, you want to make sure that it maintains the same position. It becomes\\\0///. As long as you don't allow your hairs to get crossed up, you should achieve a nice U hem.

I'm interested in trying this method. Thanks for your detailed explanation, but I do have a question. Where exactly does the ponytail go- middle of the neck, more by the collarbone, or right up under/against the chin?

Groovy Granny
March 7th, 2017, 08:50 PM
I put mine snug against the middle of my neck under my chin, and look straight ahead.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 7th, 2017, 08:54 PM
I absolutely hate layers and I am still growing some that I cut into my hair 3 years ago... never EVER again!

restless
March 7th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Ive been trimming my own hair for the past 5 years or something, mostly using Feyes method (but the Spidermom technique is good too). Ive tried all sorts of hemlines, but decided I like the U-shape the best. In general I really like the look of layers and I think its very pretty on other people, but my hair is quite thin and fine and layers make the end look even more see through than they already are, so no layers for me.

Kake
March 7th, 2017, 11:54 PM

Thank you so much. Bookmarked.

Aunty Miki
March 8th, 2017, 12:29 AM
I'm still growing out layers from a big 4" trim in January of last year to get rid of old faded color. I'd like to trim my own, but I don't know how to get my hemline perfectly blunt straight across. I'm just at the beginning of hip length. Any tips?

Crystawni
March 8th, 2017, 02:26 AM
There's 2 methods on here:

1/ blunt cuts: Feye's self-trimming method:
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

2/ layered cuts: compact cut method:

a) ponytail on top of the head and cut a piece off (longer layers)
b) ponytail on top of forehead and cut a piece off (short to longest layers)

--> layered compact cut not recommended for hair shorter than BSL (layers will be *SUPER*short)

I do 2/b) and I'm *very* happy with the results. I am a iii and it takes a lot of bulk out of my hair. I can't go shorter than hip though, or it will be too short. I have layers now and they range from almost APL all the way to hip. So you see you can't go much shorter or you'll have very short layers in front.

I'd like to add another method for layers; flipped. To explain, I've blogged about it as well as the rest of my trimming method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=129005).

In part:

For the layers: Head flipped over (bend at the waist), combed (or brushed if this is done dry) and the finger-clamped hemline snipped straight across to even it up. It's like a flipped version of a hairdresser doing your rear hemline. I find this is more head-shape happy, with a better fall and balance than the compact-cut method, and it replicates what I used to do when my hair was short enough to hold straight above my head to trim.

Noortje
March 8th, 2017, 02:59 AM
I've been trimming the feye way for the last 11yrs, only last time, I did the ponytail on the forehead for layers from BSL to waist (before mostly Ushape) and now I'm almost at TBL with the longest layers, and I'm thinking about growing the layers out again. I love how my waves are more visible, but the sticky-outy vits in braids and updo's are annoying as fudge. But definitely going to keep cutting it myself, my last hairdresser visir was 12yrs ago... ;)

hanne jensen
March 8th, 2017, 03:08 AM
I keep my hair all one length. I had layers right after I joined and it took 4 years and a major chop to get rid of them. Never again! No matter how I tried to put my hair up I had chunks of hair sticking out all over the place.

DweamGoiL
March 8th, 2017, 05:56 AM
What exactly does ponytail under the chin mean? if I ponytail, it will only reach my forehead so do you drag the elastic down and over the face, letting the side hairs kind of fall to the side?

Kake
March 8th, 2017, 06:01 AM
It's like a low nape ponytail, but at the front. The hair doesn't come over the head, but from the sides, then gathered together at the neck.

lapushka
March 8th, 2017, 06:38 AM
I'd like to add another method for layers; flipped. To explain, I've blogged about it as well as the rest of my trimming method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=129005).

In part:

For the layers: Head flipped over (bend at the waist), combed (or brushed if this is done dry) and the finger-clamped hemline snipped straight across to even it up. It's like a flipped version of a hairdresser doing your rear hemline. I find this is more head-shape happy, with a better fall and balance than the compact-cut method, and it replicates what I used to do when my hair was short enough to hold straight above my head to trim.

It's basically the CC method but without making the ponytail. I used to sometimes switch it up with this method. If you do it with the ponytail and you bend forward, the sides are going to be longer than the middle.

lithostoic
March 8th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Personally I like layers but I'm growing out bleach damage so I'm keeping a blunt cut for now. I do have a few layers that I'm growing out, some of which is new growth. When I reach virgin waist or maybe even sooner I'll get some long layers.

Rowdy
March 8th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I love layers although currently I'm growing the last couple inches of a compact cut which I didn't like. I'm really enjoying a v-hem right now too. I find it gives me the look of layers from the front without the bulk missing in the back.

Crystawni
March 8th, 2017, 07:46 AM
It's basically the CC method but without making the ponytail. I used to sometimes switch it up with this method. If you do it with the ponytail and you bend forward, the sides are going to be longer than the middle.

The resulting layers of the flipped method on hair that hasn't been bunched up (compacted) are less dramatic than those of the CC in my experience. (Pics (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12420&attachmentid=18320) from flipped to CC.) I always layer my hair, with the majority of my length pics showcasing the flipped method as I'm not keen on the feathery thinness, nor shape of the CC.

lapushka
March 8th, 2017, 07:50 AM
The resulting layers of the flipped method on hair that hasn't been bunched up (compacted) are less dramatic than those of the CC in my experience. (Pics (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12420&attachmentid=18320) from flipped to CC.) I always layer my hair, with the majority of my length pics showcasing the flipped method as I'm not keen on the feathery thinness, nor shape of the CC.

Yes, I guess my layers are more "outspoken". Pretty, Crystawni! I don't mind, though. And it is easier for me and my mom to do the CC.

Crystawni
March 8th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Thanks, lapushka. :) And yes, I can imagine the CC method is ideal for you and your mum! :magic: