PDA

View Full Version : I have not washed my hair all winter.

VixenWolfMare
March 6th, 2017, 07:21 AM
So First off My hair is NOT gross. I promises. If it was i would wash it ASAP. I do bathe and shower like a normal human should.

I had problems with my hair a few years ago. I had almost made it to classic and all the sudden in November My hair became both dry AND oily at the same time. It looked so greasy you would think it had never been washed. I tried EVERYTHING to fix it and nothing worked. I usually washed my hair every 2 weeks or as needed. I had found that washing it was the problem somehow. I think it has something to do with the dry climate and my hair type.

So now the last few years I just don't wash it. I use witch hazel as a dry shampoo and leave in conditioners lightly. My hair is always back at work and up when I'm outside. I sleep with it braided. I don't go to the gym ever and get all sweaty. I do exercise lightly. My hair does not make my face break out. Its actually super manageable. Its soft and happy and not greasy. It even smells nice!

The reason I feel the need to make this post is I wanted to know if anyone else has problems like this in the winter and deals with it in the same way. I know some people might shame me for this and I don't really care. It works for me and I look cleaner than i would otherwise. I know a lot of people that can not go 2 days without washing their hair and if i did that I'm pretty sure my hair would grow mold from never being allowed to totally dry out.

Fia
March 6th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Interesting. I've heard about people that never wash and that the scalp eventually regulates its sebum output so that it doesn't look greasy or unkempt.

Do you use any sort of brushing or otherwise try to move the sebum from the scalp down the length? From the little I've read that seemed to be a factor for success for those that didn't wash at all.

lapushka
March 6th, 2017, 08:42 AM
My mom can go a month without washing, and then she only really needs to wash because of build-up (hairspray mainly, daily use). The scalp is not oily, the scalp does not smell; there is no oil (sebum) or dirt - why wash? I think she could go much longer if it weren't for the hairspray. So I don't think it's odd at all. You just have to go by what your scalp wants/needs. And that is different for everyone. YMMV.

Aredhel
March 6th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I do something similar. I've only been washing my hair once a week in the winter, when I normally wash it daily. My hair just gets far too dry and staticky for me to benefit from a daily wash in the winter. Unlike you though, my scalp does get quite oily unfortunately, but it doesn't smell bad or anything... it actually smells rather nice from the oil I use on my ends! My natural oils mixed with the foreign oils make for a wonderful aroma I find. :) I deal with the oily scalp by bunning my hair up everyday - which helps protect my ends anyway, so it's a win-win. :)

VixenWolfMare
March 6th, 2017, 08:45 AM
I wonder if somehow that is it? Like I've heard so many people complain about how they struggle to stretch washes even a few days.

I use an Eternally in amber boar brush and a mason person. The mason person is a VERY stiff brush. I would not recommend it for anyone with more than a wave in their hair. I also have a brush made out of lignum vitae that helps a lot.

Serimel
March 6th, 2017, 08:50 AM
That's really fascinating! I'd be interested to hear more as well. Did you transition into not washing in one go or little by little? Is it only in winters you do this or throughout the year? I feel I wouldn't be able to do it personally. Can't help but think of how much money I would save though. (which I would use for more hair toys of course haha :D)

VixenWolfMare
March 6th, 2017, 08:57 AM
That's really fascinating! I'd be interested to hear more as well. Did you transition into not washing in one go or little by little? Is it only in winters you do this or throughout the year? I feel I wouldn't be able to do it personally. Can't help but think of how much money I would save though. (which I would use for more hair toys of course haha :D)

I have done this almost 3 years now. Normally before this point i washed my hair once every two weeks unless it needed it. I just got really sick of it getting harder to manage and decided to leave it alone for awhile then awhile turned into 3 months. Usually after the snow falls here i just stop messing with it. I go back to washing normally in late march.

spidermom
March 6th, 2017, 09:22 AM
I can't stand the smell of my own sebum, so a strategy like this is out for me. Curiosity - do you get stinky behind the ears?

VixenWolfMare
March 6th, 2017, 09:50 AM
I can't stand the smell of my own sebum, so a strategy like this is out for me. Curiosity - do you get stinky behind the ears?

Not normally no. but my hair is up or braided a lot.

truepeacenik
March 6th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Can you speak more about witch hazel as dry shampoo?
Since I measure when to wash, or even rinse, by the time honored "scratch and sniff" method, a dry shampoo to lessen my natural and supplement-affected sebum scent is very interesting.

Also, do you scritch and preen like other WaterOnly/Sebum Only folks?

Rehab350
March 6th, 2017, 12:54 PM
My mom was cleaning my hair once a week when I was little. I was doing the same but lately since I started doing scalp massage and my daily routine has changed I feel my scalp oily so I wash twice a week now a days. How often you wash depends on how you feel. Nothing is right for all people.

Dark40
March 6th, 2017, 01:36 PM
So First off My hair is NOT gross. I promises. If it was i would wash it ASAP. I do bathe and shower like a normal human should.

I had problems with my hair a few years ago. I had almost made it to classic and all the sudden in November My hair became both dry AND oily at the same time. It looked so greasy you would think it had never been washed. I tried EVERYTHING to fix it and nothing worked. I usually washed my hair every 2 weeks or as needed. I had found that washing it was the problem somehow. I think it has something to do with the dry climate and my hair type.

So now the last few years I just don't wash it. I use witch hazel as a dry shampoo and leave in conditioners lightly. My hair is always back at work and up when I'm outside. I sleep with it braided. I don't go to the gym ever and get all sweaty. I do exercise lightly. My hair does not make my face break out. Its actually super manageable. Its soft and happy and not greasy. It even smells nice!

The reason I feel the need to make this post is I wanted to know if anyone else has problems like this in the winter and deals with it in the same way. I know some people might shame me for this and I don't really care. It works for me and I look cleaner than i would otherwise. I know a lot of people that can not go 2 days without washing their hair and if i did that I'm pretty sure my hair would grow mold from never being allowed to totally dry out.

Hun," ya' gotta do what works for you. I used to have girlfriend that would only wash her hair once a month. Or, once every 2 months, and her hair was mid back length!!! I can go 2 or 3 days without washing my hair but after that it gets greasy, gummy, and sticky. So, yes I would have to wash it.

Dark40
March 6th, 2017, 01:40 PM
My mom was cleansing my hair once a week when I little too but as I got older it started feeling gross and greasy. So, I started washing it myself when I made 10 years old. And, when my mom taking good care of my hair once a week it had grown to the middle of my back. Or, what you would call it, "mid back length." But I've always knew or felt that it could grow a lot longer than that. She just didn't want anywhere longer than that. Because, she said that, "It's too much work and trouble to take care of." So, now I'm an adult I'm planning on growing my hair out to the top of my thighs or longer if I can.

arwenofgondor
March 6th, 2017, 03:12 PM
I went a full two months without washing my hair at all but once. In reality it didn't even get rinsed outside of that one time. I was in a wilderness program and my hair was the longest it had ever been. This is what it ended up looking like. By the end my hair had taken on a new texture and wasn't greasy at all. I really enjoyed it and my hair was the nicest it's been since I was a baby after those two months. https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12541015_655588277924016_24511091493093484_n.jpg?o h=f2a592ff833e21df6ac72df402d525ea&oe=5968657C

I know you can tell how dirty I was :D but I really don't think there's anything weird with any amount of shampooing or not shampooing. Whatever works for you and the status of your environment and what your hair needs! Glad you found something that works for you :)

Britok
March 6th, 2017, 03:30 PM
I went a full two months without washing my hair at all but once. In reality it didn't even get rinsed outside of that one time. I was in a wilderness program and my hair was the longest it had ever been. This is what it ended up looking like. By the end my hair had taken on a new texture and wasn't greasy at all. I really enjoyed it and my hair was the nicest it's been since I was a baby after those two months. https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12541015_655588277924016_24511091493093484_n.jpg?o h=f2a592ff833e21df6ac72df402d525ea&oe=5968657C

I know you can tell how dirty I was :D but I really don't think there's anything weird with any amount of shampooing or not shampooing. Whatever works for you and the status of your environment and what your hair needs! Glad you found something that works for you :)

Even dirty you look cute! Your hair doesn't look dirty at all. Maybe I need to leave civilization in order to get my hair to grow:razz::razz:

arwenofgondor
March 7th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Even dirty you look cute! Your hair doesn't look dirty at all. Maybe I need to leave civilization in order to get my hair to grow:razz::razz:

Thank you so much, haha! My hair was absolutely filthy, along with the rest of me LOL, but despite the dreaded look of it, it was so healthy after those two months. And I say leaving civilization for a while is good for every part of us :)

hanne jensen
March 8th, 2017, 03:59 AM

There is a huge thread called NW/SO, no wash, sebum only. You are not alone.

SheWhoCariesSun
March 8th, 2017, 12:44 PM

I really do feel that like anything else, we *have* to respond to our own bodies as they demand.... your hair does not like shampoos and man made soaps. So be it! I think your picture is beautiful and I only hope I can grow my own hair out like yours!

As an aside, I'm sure a lot of people would think I am totally gross for not wearing antiperspirant. I just have this gut feeling that whatever is in that stuff contributes to breast cancer. if I have to be at an important meeting or out in public, in close quarters with others I will wear a deodorant that is baking soda based that only controls odor, not my ability to sweat which I feel is necessary and shouldn't be stopped. I have raised many an eyebrow admitting I don't wear antiperspirant but I could care less. I am mindful of my own BO so as not to offend. If I never admitted to it, they'd never know anyhow... ??

You do what your hair requires!! No apologies!! :cheer:

Eastbound&Down
March 8th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Once my hair gets to around APL I switch to washing once a week, with a deep conditioning treatment prior to washing. I could probably go longer, but that's just my personal routine.

SparrowWings
March 8th, 2017, 06:32 PM
There is a huge thread called NW/SO, no wash, sebum only. You are not alone.
Linky (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=144), if you're interested, VixenWolfMare.

Very much to my surprise, I've been doing the same and it's been wonderful for the fall and winter. I'm curious to see what happens when summer comes!

dvep
March 8th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Do you do anything to revive the wave in your hair? I couldn't stretch washes like you because of my SD, but I am a curly girl and my hair looks very sad after a few days of no washing.

Ligeia Noire
March 10th, 2017, 09:59 AM
My mom washes her hair with shampoo only a couple of times per year and she has been floor length many times... she never wears her hair down though. I also some years ago only washed my hair once per month but these days my scalp gets greasy. So I do it once per week or every two weeks. My hair always feels coarse, dry, frizzy and full of static after washing. It only gets to its normal self two days after. So yeah I back up your experience too.

meteor
March 10th, 2017, 10:26 AM
I really don't think there's anything weird with any amount of shampooing or not shampooing. Whatever works for you and the status of your environment and what your hair needs! Glad you found something that works for you :)

I really agree with this. :agree:
There was a period in my life when I felt I needed to wash every day, since I was producing lots of oil but now I can't wash more frequently than twice a week, even if I really try, because that dries my hair and scalp out. A big part of it is just having more length (oils take a while travelling down), which allows me to stretch washes, a big part of it is simply producing less oil now compared to when I was a teenager. If I don't use any leave-ins, oils and serums, I can easily go a few weeks without washing my length, but I still need somewhat frequent scalp-only washes because I have a finicky scalp.

Also, I find it funny how I actually get more hair compliments on my hair when it's unwashed, oily, rather than on my freshly washed hair, which has too many flyaways right after a wash.
The only problem I ran into with infrequent washing is hair trapping lint, but if wear hair up and if I avoid all leave-ins and oil and cover hair when I'm in a dusty environment, I can go longer without attracting lint/dust.

dvep, about the wave and curl pattern... I don't think there are any easy solutions, but have you tried misting hair and scrunching in some diluted conditioner or gel? Alternatively, getting the hair a bit damp and sleeping in rollers with diameter that resembles your curls? Or even just being in a humid environment should bring some of the natural texture back, though not necessarily in the shape one wants. Honestly, nothing replaces water (and sometimes clarifying, if heavy, build-up-inducing products were used) in terms of bringing back natural texture. :( My wave definitely straightens out the longer I go between washes, and that's pretty typical experience for many.

dvep
March 10th, 2017, 11:16 AM
dvep, about the wave and curl pattern... I don't think there are any easy solutions, but have you tried misting hair and scrunching in some diluted conditioner or gel? Alternatively, getting the hair a bit damp and sleeping in rollers with diameter that resembles your curls? Or even just being in a humid environment should bring some of the natural texture back, though not necessarily in the shape one wants. Honestly, nothing replaces water (and sometimes clarifying, if heavy, build-up-inducing products were used) in terms of bringing back natural texture. :( My wave definitely straightens out the longer I go between washes, and that's pretty typical experience for many.

I've done it before but it tends to dry out my ends. I'm sure that once I get my ends healthy the way I'd like in a couple of years that it would be less of an issue, but my damage prone hair likes its moisture...I also live in a dry climate and that may have something to do with it.

likelikepenny
March 10th, 2017, 04:13 PM
I've done it before but it tends to dry out my ends. I'm sure that once I get my ends healthy the way I'd like in a couple of years that it would be less of an issue, but my damage prone hair likes it's moisture...I also live in a dry climate and that may have something to do with it.

I co-wash but only on the ears down because my scalp doesn't like conditioner, but my lengths do.

sun-kissed
March 10th, 2017, 08:21 PM
This winter I've noticed that when I washed (traditionally once a week), my hair ended up flat, lifeless and greasy-looking, and it took about a week to get back to being voluminous and healthy looking again (just in time to be washed, boo, then it starts over!) It's also impossible to style when freshly washed. Therefore, I have been going two weeks between washes. And right now I am on week three without any issues. I use dry shampoo daily and scritch once a week. My scalp is happy and my hair feels soft and moisturized and super manageable.

I wore my week two hair down for a studio portrait session, and it looked FABULOUS in the photos. I have never felt better about my hair.

At week three (something I previously thought impossible) am very curious how many weeks I can go!

JadedByEntropy
March 10th, 2017, 10:11 PM
I'm curious about this because my scalp stays dry to the point of flakes and my hair stays greasy at the scalp even though it can stand to be washed once a week. I'm sure this would help me, but the hair strands are very porous and attracts the smells of anything i pass...so i can't stand the collective smell after awhile.

I considers ears more part of the face, so they get washed with the body/face, not so much with the hair. This also is due to earrings which really dislike hair going near them :(

Thank you so much, haha! My hair was absolutely filthy, along with the rest of me LOL, but despite the dreaded look of it, it was so healthy after those two months. And I say leaving civilization for a while is good for every part of us :)

Agreed!

pili
March 10th, 2017, 10:39 PM
My scalp does not produce oil, so my dry hair always stays dry. I've gone a month before (post-surgery) with my hair looking no different than the day I washed it (that time we cold set it straight due to the upcoming surgery). The only reason I wash my hair now, weekly is because I love the feeling of water on my head. Since I have such curly hair I minimize brushing, and the shower is one of the few times I feel like I can massage and rub my scalp. It feels so good! I've been wondering lately about how long I really could stretch washes. I might need to find out. My hair always looks better the further away I get from wash day. For me it's not my sebum that makes it look better, but the oil I used each day.

Milady_DeWinter
March 11th, 2017, 01:10 AM
My mother uses to talk about how her grandmother never ever washed her hair... She just did it once, when she was 18, and got a cold that she said that was caused from the hair washing. So, NEVER again.

My mother also remembers how Laura (I was named after her) had a long, healthy, shiny and beautiful white hair even is her very old days. She always had it in a tight bum, but my mother had to comb her grandmother hair every night (100 times at least) and she remembers it very well.

So, I know it's possible and of course there's nothing gross about that. As long as it looks good, it's up yo you... And, if it's the hair from your siggy, it does look really beautiful ❤

Yarrow
March 11th, 2017, 09:28 AM
I am a bit JEALOUS.... in a good kind of way. My usually gets greasy around day 5 if I dont do anything with it.
So I am really impressed that you are able to get away with not washing your hair for months. I am always a bit envious of people who can do that.
However I have noticed that if when I apply aloe vera juice on my scalp (I use a roots only applicator comb/bottle thingy for that), after drying my hair does not seems as greasy, it has a body, but it is not the same as washed with shampoo or anything. usually I do that if I don't feel like washing my hair atm or when I feel like it. I wonder if that is the same effect as the witch hazel , or maybe the witch hazel is stronger?
Unfortunately, I don't really know if I can try to not wash my hair for as long as you, because as much as I hate washing my hair, I do like going swimming.
But yeah, impressive and cool.

Ezra
July 2nd, 2017, 04:41 PM
I don't think it's disgusting. It's perfectly natural! If you think about it, people back in the day hardly washed their hair, as they didn't have blow-dryers and long, wet hair could cause illness and be annoying in cold weather. In fact, I plan to wash my hair as less as possible this coming winter. Just daily brushing with a BBB.
The shampoo companies have brainwashed us to believe that the oil (sebum) our scalp produces is greasy and disgusting, but it is in fact beneficial to our hair and acts as a natural moisturizer that leaves the hair smooth and manageable. Lots of people could stand to wash their hair less.