PDA

View Full Version : The Hair Psoriasis Support Thread

janeytilllie
March 6th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Hello :)

I noticed there is a seborrheic dermatitis support thread I couldn't find a hair scalp psoriasis support thread.

Come here to rant, cry,encourage, support and pass on tips advice and hugs on this cruel condition. :grouphug:

lapushka
March 6th, 2017, 09:14 AM
There is already a thread. Maybe ask the mods to merge it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=703

vpatt
March 10th, 2017, 03:41 PM
I have psoriasis. I used to have it on my scalp, strangely and thankfully I no longer do. But my poor back. It is a horrible condition. It can be treated by diet and lifestyle. I've done it. But I developed dry mouth from the diet and gave it up...sigh. However I don't think most people have that issue.

PixieP
March 11th, 2017, 04:53 AM
I think it's nice to have a separate thread for scalp psoriasis in the mane-forum, to discuss the specific ways it impacts hair care and quality and such.

I've had medium severe scalp psoriasis show up after a horrible perm 7 years ago. It made me loose a lot of hair (probably mostly from itching and tearing up the scabs). I actually had a coin-sized spot close to my parting where I lost almost all the hair (that was not fun growing out when it was so short that it stuck straight up!). Chemical dyes made me worse, that was one of my main reasons for switching to henna 4 years ago. With no chemical dye, and the medication I was on (I have psoriasis on the rest of my body too) my scalp psoriasis gradually disappeared.

That is, until I tried a box dye again this january, and now it's back in full force :( Ugh. Right now it's itching so terribly because I'm off my other meds, I have an inner ear infection and can't take my medication when I have an infection. So that's making this flare even worse. I try not to itch, but it's hard :/

vpatt
March 11th, 2017, 10:36 AM
yes,trauma can cause outbreaks. I got it on my ankle and foot when I sprained my ankle even tho there was no broken skin.

janeytilllie
March 11th, 2017, 10:47 AM
I think it's nice to have a separate thread for scalp psoriasis in the mane-forum, to discuss the specific ways it impacts hair care and quality and such.

I've had medium severe scalp psoriasis show up after a horrible perm 7 years ago. It made me loose a lot of hair (probably mostly from itching and tearing up the scabs). I actually had a coin-sized spot close to my parting where I lost almost all the hair (that was not fun growing out when it was so short that it stuck straight up!). Chemical dyes made me worse, that was one of my main reasons for switching to henna 4 years ago. With no chemical dye, and the medication I was on (I have psoriasis on the rest of my body too) my scalp psoriasis gradually disappeared.

That is, until I tried a box dye again this january, and now it's back in full force :( Ugh. Right now it's itching so terribly because I'm off my other meds, I have an inner ear infection and can't take my medication when I have an infection. So that's making this flare even worse. I try not to itch, but it's hard :/

I too think it's a good idea to have a separate psoriasis thread for scalp psoriasis on the mane forum. :)

I'm so sorry about your flare up xxx

I too used to pick at the scales. My tips for trying to find some ease is oiling with olive or jojoba to loosen the scales before washing, massage the itch instead scratching.
making sure I have very trimmed nails to stop myself picking.

Also hair snoods help me to stop me getting to my scalp to scratch. I also massage my hair with the satin snood still on.

It's not as relieving as a good scratch but gives a tiny relief at least for me.

janeytilllie
March 11th, 2017, 10:59 AM
I have psoriasis. I used to have it on my scalp, strangely and thankfully I no longer do. But my poor back. It is a horrible condition. It can be treated by diet and lifestyle. I've done it. But I developed dry mouth from the diet and gave it up...sigh. However I don't think most people have that issue.

I agree with diet and lifestyle :)

I gave up cows milk and cheese. I drink goats milk at the moment. Eggs also caused me to get ill like I had bad food poisoning, so gave them up years ago.

My scalp psoriasis has 80% cleared up. it's only on my ankle and under my breasts at the moment.

I'm very sorry about your back xx

janeytilllie
March 11th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Just wondering what everyone's scalp wash/ care routines are with your scalp psoriasis.

I wash my hair every three days. Wash too much dries my scalp, wash too little it builds up.

I oil every time before washing. I use a mixture of olive, castor, tea tree,lavender and jojoba oil. I leave it on 3-6 hours so It can work in.

I use a shampoo called Vosene for me this is holy grain for my psoriasis. If I use anything else it flares right back up. But this shampoo is the best for me.

It contains salicylic acid.

The shampoo stinks but works. I use the shampoo on dry hair first and massage in my scalp good, it helps get the oil out better and scales.
I leave it on for 3 mins to penetrate the scales. I then wet hair lather and rinse. I then shampoo again with my clear strawberry herbal essences shampoo quickly to make my hair smell nice.

When it was bad I use to use dovobet gel mixed with salicylic acid from my dermatologist. I don't use it anymore just my oilings and shampoo :)