PDA

View Full Version : Matron of Honor Hair

PillowForts17
March 4th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Hey everyone. I'm leaving in a few days to go back home for a friend's wedding. (I'm her MoH.) She's got a stylist who will be doing our hair for the wedding and I'm actually pretty nervous about it. I'm still so new to this growing out my hair thing that I'm worried she'll ruin everything before I ever really get off the ground with it. I've heard horror stories, but I also know that my collar bone length hair doesn't give a lot of hair style options for fancy events such as a wedding. Do you have any advice for things I could do with my hair or even just things I should tell the stylist to avoid? I plan on asking the bride while I'm there if we can avoid any heat tools for the wedding, but I know she wants curls for all the bridesmaids and my hair just won't hold a curl for very long without a lot of hairspray and a lot of heat.

Mrstran
March 4th, 2017, 12:49 PM
I'd get a fancy attachment bun, and do a low classy one off to the side near your nape. Just an idea. A side swipe bang would go nice with it, or a heavy right or left side part.

lapushka
March 4th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Just once isn't going to kill your hair. If they don't use the heat on high, so I do hope they have hot tools with temperature settings, but if not, well... not much you can do.

If it's just collarbone length, honestly? I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Maybe look up a Gibson tuck, or a French twist, go to the styling session with your hair done, and ask what they think.

Obsidian
March 4th, 2017, 03:44 PM
I'd ask them to use the lowest temp possible and not back comb at all. I hate that so many fancy up-dos depend on backcombing to add volume.

rmani
March 4th, 2017, 04:18 PM
I second Lapushka's french twist idea. I was a groomswoman in my brother's wedding and had similar length. I had a french twist and it worked wonderfully.

Alternatively a half up with braiding would be unique...

PillowForts17
March 14th, 2017, 02:02 PM
A short update: I'm at the airport about to fly home right now so I thought I would make a quick update. The girl who did my hair for my friend's wedding had a lot of trouble getting my hair to hold anything. It kept undoing the styles. She said it was because my hair is really healthy. Which I appreciated. But it meant a lot of teasing my hair and dry shampoo to get texture and a ton of elastics and bobby pins and hair spray to make my hair stay. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any serious damage to my hair. I'll probably deep condition twice this week just to try to recover a bit.

Anje
March 14th, 2017, 02:46 PM
A few years back I was in a wedding, and simply requested the hairdresser be gentle and use minimal heat, no teasing. She was happy to do as I requested, commenting that my long hair was in really good shape. I think I ended up with a pile of barrel curls on the back of my head, which works for lots of different lengths.

In the aftermath, I removed something like 65 bobby pins and headed straight to the shower to shampoo out about half a can's worth of hairspray without any attempt to comb beforehand, but no damage to report.