PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the everpresent impatientness and hurry

Fia
March 4th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Quite often when I read the boards I find myself with a smile on my face at many of the threads and posts. It is so often that the same question - either outright or implied between the words - is repeated - 'will this make my hair grow faster?'

Growth both in life - physically and spiritually - as well as in all natural processes is a gradual thing and hurrying the natural process does not bring good results. We all know the difference between vegetables that have been speed-grown in perfectly climate-controlled glasshouses versus vegetables that have been allowed to grow and ripen in their own time. We all know the difference between fish caught in the wild and fish cultivated in mass.

What does all this have to do with growing hair and life in general? Just the observation that trying to force a natural process to become faster than what it is supposed to be has become the norm for most of us (I am no exclusion, even if I try to not let myself get caught up in the rush by being mindful of what I am doing). In the end it is futile - we will end up both disappointed that what we are trying to speed through is not working; and so focused on the end-goal we will likely not reach that we forget to enjoy the road and the process along the way.

Bushido (and more specifically Hagakure) states the following:

This is the substance of the Way of the Samurai. If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he finds freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling.

Strange at a first look - live life as if already dead - but below the surface more thoughtful than most. By being unattached, by putting no more focus on the end result, by not caring about much more than doing the best you can today, for what is presented for you today - your mind can focus on the journey instead of the end goal. That means enjoying the steps along the way as all we can know is that the present exists - tomorrow we know nothing about, yesterday we can't change (at the most learn from).

And tomorrow will be just another present day, with its own challenges, successes, and growth along the process of life, or hair growth, or development. Just as should be.

spidermom
March 4th, 2017, 02:15 PM
I never liked the idea of trying to force fast hair growth because I felt sure the other side of that coin would be shedding a lot of hair all at once. At this age, I've gotten used to accepting that things happen in their own time and season without getting too impatient about it.

Rebel Rebel
March 4th, 2017, 02:58 PM
I'm loving your thought provoking posts Fia. It's all true and could be applied to so many things. I will say that as I get older, there is a part of me that wishes time would slow down a bit. It all goes so slow and yet so fast.

lapushka
March 4th, 2017, 03:23 PM
I never liked the idea of trying to force fast hair growth because I felt sure the other side of that coin would be shedding a lot of hair all at once. At this age, I've gotten used to accepting that things happen in their own time and season without getting too impatient about it.

Same here. Somehow I think 1/2 inch is *good, normal, steady growth*, and people really shouldn't expect more as some people don't even get to 1/2 of an inch! I'm of the opinion that if you mess with that, you'll be in for a whole lot of trouble, like spidermom said, things like more shedding, for instance.

Hair grows really slow, and that is why things like trimming aren't to be taken lightly. ;)

Alissalocks
March 4th, 2017, 04:40 PM
"You can't rip the skin from the snake," -Baba Ram Dass :thumbsup:

Katia_k
March 4th, 2017, 04:43 PM
I'm very guilty of the impatience. This is partially because I can't shake my secret fear that, because of being at BSL for years, I'm just never going to actually grow. So I'd like to see some to ease that fear. But I'm trying to accept my tiny tiny amounts of growth, and enjoy the tinkering process. I love trying different stuff out, and am always excited to mess around with a new recipe or product, and that's been a huge bonus of being here, even if it does still take me 2 years to get to waist.