PDA

View Full Version : Why dyeing my hair helps with shedding?

saddamna
March 3rd, 2017, 01:52 PM
For many years whe I notice more shedding than usual l grap a dye box and use it then the massive shedding stop immediatly....
I wander if any body can tell me how this works for me.I dont't want to dye any more but I need to understand my hair and scalp more
Sorry for my english

Reyesuela
March 3rd, 2017, 01:59 PM
When you wash all the dye out of your hair, you dislodge a lot of hairs that were going to shed over the next few days to two weeks all at once. That's all.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2017, 02:03 PM
Yes, have you ever had a drain thingy over your drain to see just how much hair comes out when you dye your hair? It's a lot! It's like with washing. If my hair is washed, barely any shed hair comes out over the next few days (esp. the day right after washing). But during the washing process? A lot comes out. And I bet it's the same when you dye, you just don't pay attention to what comes out, I'm willing to bet.

Do you have a hair catcher thingy over your drain? If not, highly recommend you get one!

Nique1202
March 3rd, 2017, 04:44 PM
From the description, it sounds like a cyclical problem that keeps coming back, not just "dislodging extra sheds in a wash".

I wonder if the chemicals in the dye are keeping some kind of dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis at bay. If your day-to-day shedding increases leading up to your next dye job, and then decreases afterward, it seems like the dye might be killing some kind of infection on your head. Next time your hair starts shedding more than usual, it might be worth seeing a doctor or a dermatologist to have a look for any problems like that.

Reyesuela
March 3rd, 2017, 06:29 PM
From the description, it sounds like a cyclical problem that keeps coming back, not just "dislodging extra sheds in a wash".

I wonder if the chemicals in the dye are keeping some kind of dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis at bay. If your day-to-day shedding increases leading up to your next dye job, and then decreases afterward, it seems like the dye might be killing some kind of infection on your head. Next time your hair starts shedding more than usual, it might be worth seeing a doctor or a dermatologist to have a look for any problems like that.

Hmm. That's also possible. I have a friend who used to peroxide her head so it wouldn't itch. SD causes some hair loss.

In this case, just trying some anti-dandruff shampoo (Nizoral, Demodex, or one with zinc) might be worth it. If that doesn't work, a trip to the dermatologist? But I'd think she'd probably have some itching, too.

saddamna
March 3rd, 2017, 07:20 PM
When you wash all the dye out of your hair, you dislodge a lot of hairs that were going to shed over the next few days to two weeks all at once. That's all.

My hair will be happy for tow seasons at least

saddamna
March 3rd, 2017, 07:28 PM
I never had dandruff or itching

saddamna
March 3rd, 2017, 07:29 PM
Thank you for your answers I am new here and kind of dummy in hair care.I appreciate your assistance so much😚

Reyesuela
March 3rd, 2017, 09:19 PM
Then it's probably seasonal hair loss--dislodging the hairs of a slightly greater-than-average shed. :) That'd be my bet.