PDA

View Full Version : Upside-down washers

PixieP
March 1st, 2017, 04:42 PM
Due to my skin being allergic to water, I only shower once every month or so (no, I don't stink, I wash with a cloth). So most of the time when I wash my hair, it's standing outside the shower with my head upside-down into the shower. Anyone else who washes this way, by choice or not?

I usually don't mind, except for the fact that my body absolutley hates it :( I get pains that last for hours, ugh. But other than that I actually prefer it to "right way up"-washing. I find it easier to get conditioner further up the lengths without getting any on the roots. And I ACV rinse, and get a lot of my hair into the bottle for soaking. I miss having a bathtub though, that makes upside-down washing so easy :D

littlestarface
March 1st, 2017, 04:46 PM
I been doing this last couple of washes but my a$$ is still in the shower just head and hair is upside down when I need to wash it and rinse. It hurts like hell and I discovered I need a claw clip cuz man its so hard to hold hair out of the way when i'm washing my bod.

meteor
March 1st, 2017, 04:54 PM
I prefer upside-down to reach the scalp better and to prevent conditioner from touching my back, but it really hurts my back and neck... Unfortunately, the alternative of standing upright hurts my neck (pulling back), so it's not like I found a good solution. At this length (knee when wet) and thickness, my hair is just *really* heavy in the shower, there is no way around it... :( I tend to flip hair once or twice in the shower to alleviate the weight and reach all parts of the scalp and hair better, but that increases tangling, of course.

Arctic
March 1st, 2017, 05:12 PM
I often wash upside down. Not really much to say about it: I don't have any problems with it, other than it's more difficult to get my hair as smooth than when washing right side up. I use both methods and they both have good and not so great points.

MoonRabbit
March 1st, 2017, 05:23 PM
Do you get more frizz washing this way? I heard that if you wash upside down, going against the natural direction of the hair cuticles it could cause more frizz.

pandabarrier
March 1st, 2017, 05:24 PM
I wash with head upside-down, under the bathtub faucet. I don't remember when I started doing that, it's been years. This allows me to concentrate the wash on the scalp, letting the suds go down the lengths, apply conditioner on the lengths only, rinse the scalp more throughly and do ACV rinses. It doesn't hurt my neck unless I'm doing it for extended periods of time (rinsing henna).
However, with my current length, the hair ends reach the bottom of the bathtub and I have to be more careful.
I don't get more frizz when I wash upside-down.

littlestarface
March 1st, 2017, 05:29 PM
Do you get more frizz washing this way? I heard that if you wash upside down, going against the natural direction of the hair cuticles it could cause more frizz.

Lol now thats silly, as a wavy I have frizz no matter how I wash it.

Islandgrrl
March 1st, 2017, 05:33 PM
I wash upside down. I keep my hair up in a couple of claw clips until after I've washed my body, then bend forward and undo the hair under the shower spray. I sometimes just rinse, sometimes CO and sometimes shampoo and condition. I wrap it all up upside down so it dries fuller and fluffier (not frizzier).

Kae612
March 1st, 2017, 08:16 PM
I've done this a few times, and oh gosh it hurts so much in the shower. I also had trouble getting to my scalp by my forehead bent at the waist like that. I also felt in danger of falling over, and had to flip my hair up onto my back at one point anyway and got a lot of tangles...the claw clip just fell out because my hair was too heavy. I concluded it just wasn't for me.

BUT we have a round stainless steel sink in the kitchen that I used a couple times to rinse out dye - this takes a long time for me, especially if parts dried. But I had to do it bent at the waist there. I found I could lean my forehead on my arm by the sink (keeping my hair in the sink) and cat-stretch my back, and this meant like a lot less pain after. Also something to lean on helped. If my parents don't hate it too much I might wash my hair there from now on....it was certainly a lot easier.

Saldana
March 1st, 2017, 08:29 PM
I usually wash right side up in the shower, but today I washed in the kitchen sink because the plumber was here working on the bathrooms. It was a bit of a hassle, but I worked it out. I also found out I can use cooler water because it's just washing over my head, not my body. And my hair loved it - it dried nice and full, no frizz. I actually am considering switching to washing my hair more often at the sink.

Rebel Rebel
March 1st, 2017, 08:42 PM
Yes to the kitchen sink! I like to do long deep conditioning treatments at times and don't want to get back in the bath or shower. It's seems to be much more comfortable than attempting to get under the shower or bath faucet. I do wish I had one those spray guns at my kitchen sink.

Deborah
March 1st, 2017, 10:05 PM
One of my friends always washes her hair in the kitchen sink, so I guess that is upside down. She has had long hair all her life, and this is what she was taught as a child, so she has stuck with it all these years. (She just turned 60.)

Tosca
March 1st, 2017, 10:08 PM
I prefer upside-down to reach the scalp better and to prevent conditioner from touching my back, but it really hurts my back and neck... Unfortunately, the alternative of standing upright hurts my neck (pulling back), so it's not like I found a good solution. At this length (knee when wet) and thickness, my hair is just *really* heavy in the shower, there is no way around it... :( I tend to flip hair once or twice in the shower to alleviate the weight and reach all parts of the scalp and hair better, but that increases tangling, of course.

Could you clip the ends to the shower rail/equivalent while you are upside down? Similar to a scalp-only wash in technique, but to take some of the weight off your neck. Or kneel and bend over a bucket/bowl on the floor, so that the majority of your hair is supported by the bucket/bowl?

meteor
March 2nd, 2017, 08:27 AM
Could you clip the ends to the shower rail/equivalent while you are upside down? Similar to a scalp-only wash in technique, but to take some of the weight off your neck. Or kneel and bend over a bucket/bowl on the floor, so that the majority of your hair is supported by the bucket/bowl?

Yes, that's a good idea. :) I tried something like that, and the only downside was that it limited my movement in the shower quite a lot and the whole wash took a long time, but supporting the weight of the hair does work.

Also, some people mentioned washing over sink.
I *love* Scalp-Only washes over sink. I just keep the hair braided and lean under the faucet and it works perfectly, my braid never gets wet, because the water flow is far away, focused on the scalp. Because my braid is quite long now, I don't even need to hold it down with a bra-strap or collar or anything, it just hangs there during the Scalp-Only wash. While I can't fit & wash all my length this way anymore, scalp-only washes only get easier. Since the length stays dry, the weight is much lighter, too, so it doesn't hurt.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2017, 09:10 AM
Here it's the bathroom sink. So I can sit down at it. And my mom washes my hair. The sink has a tiny spray nozzle that you can detach (shower head), so it's comfortable enough.

melesine
March 2nd, 2017, 09:19 AM
I tried it once and it was an utter disaster with tangles. Never again.

MlleMC
March 2nd, 2017, 09:30 AM
I'm quite amazed that several of you with FTL+ wash upside down. I haven't been able to do it since about TBL, as it gets too heavy and causes tangles. I used to do it often before, especially when I didn't have time for a full shower.

neko_kawaii
March 2nd, 2017, 09:37 AM
Knee length, average thickness. I wash upside down now and then when it is most convenient not to shower too. Having a removable shower head makes this SO easy, but I grew up washing in the kitchen sink, so I know how to wash in a bowl with a cup too. As for tangles, my hair tangles if I so much as look at it out of a bun. I expect to need to comb out tangles once washed, regardless of how it was washed.

Dante
March 2nd, 2017, 02:31 PM
I wash my hair upside down in the laundry sink. Love it - no shampoo or conditioner sliding down my back, and easy to wash scalp vs ends separately.

Flipgirl24
March 2nd, 2017, 08:55 PM
I had to do that all summer last year because I had surgery and couldn't get the bandages wet. I just had to rest for bits. So I would just stop for a few minutes in the middle of washing and then start again. If you don't have a handheld
Shower head, maybe a big measuring cup to pour water would help? Or after you wash your hair, put one of those heated bags around your neck and shoulders or where ever it hurts.

JadedByEntropy
March 2nd, 2017, 10:38 PM
I'm definitely one of these! Sink primarily becasue it holds the weight for me. I have to hold it up in the shower to be able to reach my scalp through it all so one handed doesn't work out well :/ I don't know how else people get underneath it, but i'm also like an otter..i can swim for an hour and still be dry underneath. I can only use a shower if it has some crazy water pressure. I'd like to do the cup and bowl thing, but i think it's too messy.

for washing hair in showers-I would recommend twirling it into a cinnibun on top when finished so it stays out of the way. Not any damage from bunning wet as far as i can tell

Mrstran
March 3rd, 2017, 02:32 PM
I wash in the kitchen sink. I suppose only because my hair is still short! My neck hurts pretty bad after the first few minutes and it takes forever to do my routine. The plus side, I'm not jumping in and out of the shower for each rinse out between treatments. I don't know what on earth Im going to do when my hair gets long. As for regular showers, I keep my hair out of the way to prevent regular soap and scrubs from getting in it.

Being allergic to water must be awful, I'm so sorry. I'm glad to hear that you've found a way around that.

Xena1975
March 3rd, 2017, 02:50 PM
I only wash my hair bent over or on my knees by the tub faucet. Shower heads usually don't have enough water pressure for me to easily rinse my hair and I hate getting water in my face.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2017, 03:39 PM
I only wash my hair bent over or on my knees by the tub faucet. Shower heads usually don't have enough water pressure for me to easily rinse my hair and I hate getting water in my face.

Where is your tap, I wonder? Against the wall? Then how on earth do you reach that?

Xena1975
March 3rd, 2017, 06:05 PM
Where is your tap, I wonder? Against the wall? Then how on earth do you reach that?

The taps are against the wall at one end of the tub. I just get on my knees and bend over and it's close enough to easily reach. The tub isn't wide.

lapushka
March 4th, 2017, 04:48 AM
The taps are against the wall at one end of the tub. I just get on my knees and bend over and it's close enough to easily reach. The tub isn't wide.

Oh I see, I was trying to picture it and I was having trouble. :)

Greenfire
March 10th, 2017, 06:17 PM
I prefer to wash bent over! I use my kitchen sink all the time for washing, but have been known to kneel over the side of the tub too. I like that I can focus the rinsing where I want and turn the water off between rinsing! (save water, yay!) I even do mermaid soaks in the sink for washing and rinsing too, and all my catnip rinses and the like are done in the sink. I would think once my hair is really long, a sink wash would be much nicer than in the shower due to weight, I'm already preferring it for the length it is now!

WillOTree
March 10th, 2017, 06:58 PM
Yep, I do this too! When it's much shorter I wash upright, but once it's past my shoulders I flip my head over. I can get the shampoo and conditioner out better that way, or else I end up with the greasies.

Aunty Miki
March 12th, 2017, 11:56 AM
I'm definitely one of these! Sink primarily becasue it holds the weight for me. I have to hold it up in the shower to be able to reach my scalp through it all so one handed doesn't work out well :/ I don't know how else people get underneath it, but i'm also like an otter..i can swim for an hour and still be dry underneath. I can only use a shower if it has some crazy water pressure. I'd like to do the cup and bowl thing, but i think it's too messy.

for washing hair in showers-I would recommend twirling it into a cinnibun on top when finished so it stays out of the way. Not any damage from bunning wet as far as i can tell

I wash right side up in the shower, condition, clip it up, wash and rinse body, unclip and rinse out conditioner. Must have very powerful water pressure or it won't reach my scalp at all. Hip length.

Aunty Miki
March 12th, 2017, 11:59 AM
One of my friends always washes her hair in the kitchen sink, so I guess that is upside down. She has had long hair all her life, and this is what she was taught as a child, so she has stuck with it all these years. (She just turned 60.)

How does she keep it from clogging the drain or going down the disposal while washing it?

Aunty Miki
March 12th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I grew up washing my hair in the sink, but when my hair got longer, it became easier to stand and wash it in the shower.

PixieP
March 13th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Does anyone have a good idea on how I'll be able to do scalp-only washes? Since I upside-down wash then putting the lengths in a topknot and covering with plastic doesn't work; gravity would make it full of water :P

Arctic
March 13th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Does anyone have a good idea on how I'll be able to do scalp-only washes? Since I upside-down wash then putting the lengths in a topknot and covering with plastic doesn't work; gravity would make it full of water :P I just saw a video on the fine/thin thread of someone who made a nape braid, tucked it under bra band, then washed her hair bent over. The braid stayed tucked in. She needed to scrub her scalp following the "grain" (from forehead to nape) which is the opposite of what feels logical when washing upside down.

littlestarface
March 13th, 2017, 11:52 PM
I had to figure out a way to only wash my scalp but leave my length alone. I gather all my hair in my hand(like when you scrunching)and make it go up towards the ceiling with it being held in my hand the whole time. That way I can just wash my scalp and my hair doesn't get any shampoo on it but I still get a really good cleaning on my scalp and I dont break my back n neck. Its been working really good and my hair is really loving this now.

Fia
March 14th, 2017, 05:48 AM
I just saw a video on the fine/thin thread of someone who made a nape braid, tucked it under bra band, then washed her hair bent over. The braid stayed tucked in. She needed to scrub her scalp following the "grain" (from forehead to nape) which is the opposite of what feels logical when washing upside down.

This is how I scalp washed when my hair went to about hip. Easiest was to wash like this in the kitchen sink (I have a longneck faucet) so I could easily get to all of the scalp when rinsing. The braided hair was damp down to about APL/SBL length but the majority of the length stayed dry and most importantly the ends were untouched by water. When I scalp washed I only used shampoo, no conditioner or rinse, those were reserved for full length washes.

PixieP
March 16th, 2017, 11:22 AM
So I tried the bra strap-braid. Worked fine while washing (although I think twin braids will be better). But... how to keep the braid dry afterwards? Because as soon as I stood up and wrapped a towel around my head the braid was soaking wet after 5 minutes! The braid wasn't inside the towel, but gravity will do its thing XD

Fia
March 16th, 2017, 11:30 AM
So I tried the bra strap-braid. Worked fine while washing (although I think twin braids will be better). But... how to keep the braid dry afterwards? Because as soon as I stood up and wrapped a towel around my head the braid was soaking wet after 5 minutes! The braid wasn't inside the towel, but gravity will do its thing XD

Put the towel on your head while still bent forward and squeeze out as much water as you can before you straighten up again. That did the trick for me when scalp washing. Hair was usually slightly damp to about SBL with the rest of the length mostly dry.

Siri
March 16th, 2017, 06:00 PM
I've always washed my hair upside down under the faucet, never had a problem. I can't stand all that wet hair hanging down my back in the shower. When I take a shower I pin my hair up under a shower cap to keep it dry.

PixieP
March 16th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Put the towel on your head while still bent forward and squeeze out as much water as you can before you straighten up again. That did the trick for me when scalp washing. Hair was usually slightly damp to about SBL with the rest of the length mostly dry.

Actually I think I'll take one of my microfiber turbans and cut to small holes in it, that I can pull braids through! Then I can fasten the braids with a clawclip to the turban on top of my head to keep them dry ^_^

pandabarrier
March 19th, 2017, 11:42 AM
I'm used to upside down washing in the bathtub, but I never thought of using the kitchen sink (I get stuck to old habits I guess).
I did henna gloss on the roots yesterday and it was much easier to rinse in the kitchen sink! I also used less water and the cleanup was a breeze. I used a bowl to contain my hair lengths otherwise they would be mopping the sink. And of course I didn't clog the drain with the shed hairs (there is a sink strainer).

April_May
March 19th, 2017, 07:12 PM
I can't believe theres a word for this. I've always done this out of instinct. Its impossible for me to reach my scalp any other way, otherwise it becomes a tangly mess. Its also easier to apply conditioner evenly with all my hair in front of me. Different strokes, I guess.

ExpectoPatronum
March 19th, 2017, 07:45 PM
I wash my hair upside down in the shower. It's the only way I can really insure that I get all of my scalp as my hair is thick and when it's wet, it's hard to get my fingers through. I condition upright, but might try it upside down next wash day.

PixieP
March 20th, 2017, 07:51 AM
I can't believe theres a word for this. I've always done this out of instinct. Its impossible for me to reach my scalp any other way, otherwise it becomes a tangly mess. Its also easier to apply conditioner evenly with all my hair in front of me. Different strokes, I guess.

I don't know if it's actually a word, I just made it up XD haha. But it's suprising to see how many does it!

paulownia
March 21st, 2017, 10:36 AM
Washing upside-down, since I can remember:) I've tried a few times to wash standing in the shower but it's pain in the ... I hate having shampoo, conditioner and hair all over my body.
I don't think it causes frizz ... My hair is wavy and it usually doesn't frizz at all.

enting
March 21st, 2017, 02:31 PM
I usually wash (and comb while wet, yes) my hair upside down. I usually wear my hair in a high placed bun or a topknot, so it's easier to wash it upside down and then bun it. Then the hair dries in the direction I want it to go for styling. I only wash my hair right side up when I am planning on wearing it down or in a braid right afterwards. I suspect that increasing my leg flexibility might help me, the backs of my legs get sore, as does my back. When my hair is stubbornly tangly I get very frustrated because it takes longer, makes me hurt more, and makes me want to hurry up and finish, but then I realize I'm ripping my hair by rushing :( . When I do scalp washes only, I do them right side up while wearing a topknot. I use a hand held shower head. I hold it pretty close to my head and slowly move it around the perimeter of my hair, avoiding getting the bun wet. If I bun loose enough, I can actually grasp the whole bun and pull it a bit away from my scalp and aim the water under the bun. Some of my hair does get damp, but not wet the way it would if I did a full wash.

lapushka
March 21st, 2017, 03:56 PM
Washing upside-down, since I can remember:) I've tried a few times to wash standing in the shower but it's pain in the ... I hate having shampoo, conditioner and hair all over my body.
I don't think it causes frizz ... My hair is wavy and it usually doesn't frizz at all.

Doesn't cause frizz for me, either. :flower:

Arctic
March 21st, 2017, 04:23 PM
I don't know if it's actually a word, I just made it up XD haha. But it's suprising to see how many does it!

I tried to search for youtube videos of hairwashing method that doesn't need excessive manipulation of lengths when shampooing for one of our members. Most of the videos that came up were upside down, I was surprised about that too. (Boy it was difficult to find a LHC approved video, most of the shampooing videos piled the lengths up into a bundle!)

PixieP
March 21st, 2017, 06:03 PM
I tried to search for youtube videos of hairwashing method that doesn't need excessive manipulation of lengths when shampooing for one of our members. Most of the videos that came up were upside down, I was surprised about that too. (Boy it was difficult to find a LHC approved video, most of the shampooing videos piled the lengths up into a bundle!)

Yeah I don't even touch my lengths while shampooing! I figure the shampoo that rinse down them is plenty of cleaning for them. Only time I wash them is when I clarify (which, note to self, I should do tomorrow).

paulownia
March 22nd, 2017, 02:08 AM
Yeah I don't even touch my lengths while shampooing! I figure the shampoo that rinse down them is plenty of cleaning for them. Only time I wash them is when I clarify (which, note to self, I should do tomorrow).
Same here:) I apply shampoo only to my scalp. The suds running down do the job.

AutobotsAttack
March 25th, 2017, 07:04 PM
I wash upside every shower just to stimulate blood flow. I also do it to relieve sinus pressure from allergies and this pollen we get here. I'm young so it doesn't hurt anything on me so far, this doesn't involve hair but I used to do a yoga pose often that mimics washing upside down. Feels amazing to me lol

hayheadsbird
March 26th, 2017, 04:07 AM
Tried an upside down wash last wash and again this morning. That patch at the back that I normally struggle to get clean because there's to much hair in the way, the bit where buns generally sit? Job done! And no issues with reaching the top of my scalp either with it upside down. Normally I'd just do the conditioner upside down, as it's easier to reach the lengths closer to my scalp without getting any conditioner actually on it.
It made the whole shower slightly more complicated, not quite just a jump in wash and out, but well worth the results so far. Looking forward to seeing if it worked again when my hair dries. :)

lapushka
March 26th, 2017, 04:45 AM

I have posted this video before, but I'll post it again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwnlC12W8vk

She does it the right way!

And she made a new video recently too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOm89hKO1w0

duchess67
March 26th, 2017, 07:04 AM
That is the way I've always washed my hair, I've known no other way. Guess that's the way all the Indians wash their hair in India.

frolickingfairy
April 1st, 2017, 06:16 AM
I have washed my hair in the bathroom sink my whole life. I couldn't do it any other way.

Coral Grimes
April 1st, 2017, 06:42 AM
I always wash my hair knelt down with my head over the bath (the showerhead comes off the wall). I don't like washing it while I am showering as conditioner irritates my back. When my hair was really short I just washed it in the sink.

_flora_
April 7th, 2017, 04:45 AM
I wash my hair upside down, with my body outside the bathtub. I used to finish my washing with lots of pain in the back, knees, neck, but then I started to do floor barre and applied that knowledge to the pose I'm using to wash my hair. I think yoga and pilates, or any other practice that teaches to support our body correctly in different positions will help. Being upside down can even be beneficial, if done correctly.