PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Ball Caps Damaging to Hair??

SheWhoCariesSun
March 1st, 2017, 07:04 AM
Hi Long Hair Folks!

Do any of your know if wearing a ball cap a lot damages the hair/have any negative effect while growing it out. I am using coconut oil on my hair and scalp and of course that gives things an unwashed or dirtly look. I dont always want to sleep that way, so wondering if I can wear a hat if I need to go out? I tend to sport the pony-tail-in-the-hat look a lot but I dont want to continue if I am doing something wrong.

Thoughts?:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

lapushka
March 1st, 2017, 07:53 AM
I don't think it hurts the hair, no. If you wear it 24/7 all the time, then that maybe is something else.

Don't worry too much. ;)

meteor
March 1st, 2017, 08:02 AM
I think it can be protective (esp. from the sun and wind), but yes, there is also a bit of potential for friction damage, if one is not mindful. Just try not to be too rough when putting it on and off, manipulating it on head; and I'd make sure to avoid any snaggy materials (velcro, zippers are the worst, but every little snaggy bit can catch hair, of course).

lithostoic
March 1st, 2017, 08:20 AM
I couldn't see why. Maybe if you were being really rough with it? My dad has worn a ball cap daily for many years and his hair is breakage-free c:

SheWhoCariesSun
March 1st, 2017, 08:21 AM
Thanks guys!;)

Groovy Granny
March 1st, 2017, 08:44 AM
I wear that look all the time in the Summer and have seen no damage in my fine silver :shrug:

Mrstran
March 1st, 2017, 08:47 AM
I've been doing that the past few weeks without an issue. Try it out and when you get home brush your hair. That should verify if everything is ok.

CayAsh
March 1st, 2017, 09:23 AM
I wear one every day in the summer with no issue! And my dad has worn either a ball cap or a cowboy hat everyday for the past 50+ years and he's got the thickest most luscious hair I've seen :lol:

Anje
March 1st, 2017, 12:02 PM
Should be fine, as long as it's not rubbing weird.

I will give the caveat that I had issues with breakage wearing ponytails a lot. In retrospect, a decent portion of that was probably because I "tightened" the pony a lot with that move where you grab two handfuls of the ponytail and pull them forward toward your face. Don't do that! But be appropriately careful with your ponytail and be conscious of the wear and tear your ends receive. Consider braids if you get tons of tangles, and when it's long enough, buns. Good luck!

Edit: Check this out. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139511)

Groovy Granny
March 1st, 2017, 12:09 PM
Edit: Check this out. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139511)
Thanks for the reminder; I need to start practicing buns with my caps :thumbsup:

ETA: I just whipped out my caps, re-adjusted them for my new thickness (no layers this year), and there was no need to 'practice'....cap buns are so easy; and very secure for windy situations :joy:

Diesel Tech
March 1st, 2017, 05:07 PM
I wear ball caps daily and I have found that certain ones with logos embroidered on them tend to snag, bad. Other than that, no I haven't noticed any appreciable breakages from it.

Deborah
March 1st, 2017, 10:09 PM
I think it depends on the type of cap. The ones with large snappy adjustments on the back of the brim seem like they would easily cause tangling and pulled out hairs.