PDA

View Full Version : Sudden stress and excessive hair loss/damage

Eas693
February 28th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Ok so last week I had a miserably stressful two days, like beyond normal. Basically late one night we heard a semiautomatic gun really close to our house. Turns out it was a man in my backyard shooting/running from the cops. After a bit with us laying on the floor with our kid talking to the cops we see him. He tried to get into my neighbors house (we are a duplex) but they had the door locked. He went about 2 doors down and barricades himself... this leads to over a 12 hour stand off as he lit the house on fire...

Suffice to say it was shocking and terrifying. I didn't sleep for over 24 hours my diet was non existent for the day because I couldn't stomach food. The next day I used as a recovery day and we all laid around the house eating all day.

Since this occurred my hair has been falling out in weird clumps if 4-5 strands together. It feels drier even when I oil it and the ends have splits for the first time since the summer... nothing in my routine has changed at all other than less sleep due to nightmares...

Can stress from one day do that much? Any advice on what to do?!? I feel like I've lost so much in group last week that when I pull it back into pigtails (I'm a shorty and can't do a pony tail) they seem thinner... sigh my poor hair it's always something

Reyesuela
February 28th, 2017, 10:45 PM
It wouldn't start falling out the next day. More likely due to randomness--or if it's really coming out in clumps, how you were wearing it.

The length of the hair that is already out of your head is never affected by diet/stress/whatever. It's dead. Dead dead. It is only affected by direct action against it.

I do complete water fasts of 5 days for health a few times a year. That has zero effect on hair.

Reyesuela
February 28th, 2017, 10:49 PM
More specifically, it would take a good 10+ days to get any major hairfall. And getting temporarily upset for a few hours, even if it rattled you, isn't going to cause any hairloss.

One of my children literally nearly died yesterday. We had search helicopters and police in the swamp and everything, and we barely got her before dark and freezing temperatures in the swamp. (She is 100% fine now save for scratches and fear.) I lost 3 hairs yesterday and 6 today--extra today because I worked out, too, which dislodges hair ready to fall. (I'm reversing hair loss, so I have the lowest hair loss rates in my life right now.) Believe me, I was as scared as a human being can be. I won't lose any hair from it, though. It doesn't work like that.

Eas693
February 28th, 2017, 11:13 PM
More specifically, it would take a good 10+ days to get any major hairfall. And getting temporarily upset for a few hours, even if it rattled you, isn't going to cause any hairloss.

One of my children literally nearly died yesterday. We had search helicopters and police in the swamp and everything, and we barely got her before dark and freezing temperatures in the swamp. (She is 100% fine now save for scratches and fear.) I lost 3 hairs yesterday and 6 today--extra today because I worked out, too, which dislodges hair ready to fall. (I'm reversing hair loss, so I have the lowest hair loss rates in my life right now.) Believe me, I was as scared as a human being can be. I won't lose any hair from it, though. It doesn't work like that.

So sorry about your experience. It's good to hear. I was afraid that a hormone influx could occur from the stress. Not necessarily a permanent one or anything like that.

Reyesuela
February 28th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Given what people used to go through on a regular basis, we'd all be bald! LOL.

She's my terrifying child. None of the others have a death wish, but she's still a walking suicide machine. We're putting a GPS watch on her and are joking that we'll be transferring it to her husband upon marriage. "We've kept her alive this long. Your turn!"

Eas693
March 1st, 2017, 01:28 AM

Given what people used to go through on a regular basis, we'd all be bald! LOL.

She's my terrifying child. None of the others have a death wish, but she's still a walking suicide machine. We're putting a GPS watch on her and are joking that we'll be transferring it to her husband upon marriage. "We've kept her alive this long. Your turn!"

You're probably right about it, but now I have to figure out why my hair is acting so weird...

PS I feel the same about my 3 yr old boy