PDA

View Full Version : dealing with long thick 2c 3a tangle prone hair difficult hair

groovylocks
February 28th, 2017, 09:45 PM
I had a horrible time combing and brushing out my hair, very painful, each time I would pass the brush through it seemed to tangle more. I went to a brush, because my horn comb broke.

I have been going days without combing or brushing for fear of losing my waves and curls, or my hair going all poofy.

I also shed alot of hair too, it is all over my floor and clothes.

my hair is odd, it is not all one type; I have some fine staight blonde hairs, and others are wirey kinky curely dark and feel like fishing line.

when I skip combing or brushing a few days, do some shed hairs stay in my head and tangle? I have a feeling some shed hairs stay on my head and tangle with the rest.

I tried to read about it, but get confusing results, some say comb while condtiined and wet, others not.

what ever shampoo or conditioner I use I would like to avoid cones and sulphates.

I was using a vented plastic brush with solid molded balls on the end, it was a denman.

I have found brushes with balls on the end tend to grab, rip and tangle my hair more, but some of them are the only ones that will get through to my scalp, actual bristle brushes just brush on top.

normally I like my hair, but there are times I find it difficult to deal with, and admit i was in a rush trying to untangle it before catching the train to school.

it sure looked like alot came out, I just hope it is not damaged or I start losing hair.

my scalp is a bit raw and sore now.

MoonRabbit
February 28th, 2017, 09:50 PM
daily finger combing can help detangle your hair and keep your curls and waves looking nice.

Reyesuela
February 28th, 2017, 11:00 PM
Brush/comb from the BOTTOM UP. First stroke: Bottom 6-8 inches. Next stroke: Double that, 12-18 inches from bottom. Repeat until you reach the crown on one lock. Then move to the next.

Sleep with your hair contained if it's really crazy.

So many people don't know how to brush and comb long hair! :)

Reyesuela
February 28th, 2017, 11:01 PM
Also, there is no reason to avoid water-soluble 'cones. There are many 'cones that dissolve instantly upon contact with water. The only people who need to avoid them are people with super-fine hair that gets sad and limp and looks dead and thin with anything on it.

likelikepenny
March 1st, 2017, 04:36 AM
Curly hair doesn't behave like straight or wavy hair. The only way you get the sheds out is through combing. Combing with a wide tooth plastic comb or finger detangling will help.

Damp with a slippy conditioner while finger combing or wide tooth comb should help keep your waves and curls in tact.

Curly hair should be combed wet, straight hair should be combed dry. Since you have both, damp may be your best option.

pili
March 1st, 2017, 08:27 AM
I second most of the advice here. Also, when detangling, start with finger combing, then move on to a wide tooth comb. Do not ever detangle with just a brush. Dry brushing tangled hair is murder for curly hair. Denmans are meant to be wet brushes, but you still have to be super careful and use at last a wide tooth comb before the brush.

Also, there is no reason to avoid water-soluble 'cones. There are many 'cones that dissolve instantly upon contact with water. The only people who need to avoid them are people with super-fine hair that gets sad and limp and looks dead and thin with anything on it.

I'll disagree with this. I have super corse hair and any type of cone is murder on my hair over time, even the water soluble ones. I learned this the hard way. Everyone's hair is different.

ghanima
March 1st, 2017, 08:37 AM
daily finger combing can help detangle your hair and keep your curls and waves looking nice.
This has made such a big difference for me. I do it before bed-time, SLOWLY, then mist lightly with water+ACV, eventually apply warm oil on the points, then either braid or leave them free.
Also, maybe time to clarify?

lapushka
March 1st, 2017, 08:44 AM
Why on earth would you want to brush your waves/curls out? :( I only do this pre-wash, the rest of the week I leave it alone, so my texture stays intact. It works.

spidermom
March 1st, 2017, 08:51 AM
I was a big fan of combing out my hair with conditioner in it. After rinsing, I'd do my best to leave my hair alone and let it do its thing if I wanted to wear it loose. Most of the time, however, I'd comb and brush it out, then braid it and/or put it up in some way. That was the best way to keep it from tangling and being all over the place and in my way.

raemarthe
March 3rd, 2017, 08:54 AM
Sounds like we have a similar hair type. I would definitely recommend that you do not brush or comb it dry, for me this causes terrible damage, and makes my curls turn into a wall of frizz. Instead try finger combing or using a wide tooth comb in the shower with conditioner. Also if you start to notice your hair getting tangled while it's dry, try gently finger detangleing to remove the knots. Also, you're right, curly hair tends to keep the shed hair in with the rest of the hair more than straight hair.

dvep
March 3rd, 2017, 09:15 AM
We also have a similar hair type. I always make sure to finger comb in the shower, but I don't try to keep my texture after one day. I brush it out so that it doesn't get matted and cause even worse damage. I use a brush with very long, thick, wooden pins with no balls on the tips. My hair doesn't get poofy so long as it's hydrated, it just brushes out into waves which is fine with me. It might have to do with me living in a dry climate. My personal advice is to not feel like you have to keep the natural curls every day, it's ok to brush them out to prevent worse tangles...but that's just me! I find 2c/3a hair doesn't behave like other curl types.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2017, 10:17 AM
Oh, P.S. - when I said "combing and brushing", it was combing first, then brushing when I was sure all tangles were out. My wurliness was really only good for one day of wearing loose if I had time to pay attention to my hair and be careful. Otherwise I'd get very bad tangles and even knots on the underside of my hair from it sliding around over my clothing when I moved.

groovylocks
March 3rd, 2017, 07:51 PM
Sounds like we have a similar hair type. I would definitely recommend that you do not brush or comb it dry, for me this causes terrible damage, and makes my curls turn into a wall of frizz. Instead try finger combing or using a wide tooth comb in the shower with conditioner. Also if you start to notice your hair getting tangled while it's dry, try gently finger detangleing to remove the knots. Also, you're right, curly hair tends to keep the shed hair in with the rest of the hair more than straight hair.

yeah, we do have very similar types, is dry finger combing enough to get the shed hair out? I dont wash my hair every time I shower, I wash about 1-2 times a week, and in the summer, more often to wash salt water out of my hair.

what type of comb to use? what type of shampoo or conditioner do you use?

also, i go to the beach alot and ocean in the summer

raemarthe
March 3rd, 2017, 10:07 PM
Fingering combing/ detangling is enough for me! :) I don't wash every time I shower either. I cowash with A I am Coconut cowash once a week, and condition with various sheamoisture conditioners. (All are sulfate and silicone free) Personally I haven't actually used a comb in the shower in a year just because I lost my comb and finger combing works fine for me.

Noortje
March 4th, 2017, 02:47 AM
I'm not superwavy, but I do get frizzy if I brush or detangle after washing... Like the knowledgable lades above, I like to detangle in the shower with conditioner and then rinse. I fingercomb and leave to airdry, giving me defined and smooth waves. Day 2 is for combing with a widetooth wooden comb (got a cheap one from the bodyshop many years ago)