PDA

View Full Version : matching direct dye with henna

Obsidian
February 28th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Any suggestions on what direct dye might be closest to the color in my avatar? I was looking at adore cajun spice or french cognac but they both seem a bit too brown, has anyone with light hair used either before? What was the result?

pastina
February 28th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Have you checked out hairdyeforum.com? There is a subforum full of pictures of people's results with natural color semis. Link (http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php/board,33.0.html?PHPSESSID=54856efa69ac9a3a5321400b ac70966c)! I feel like Cajun spice might be good, but i have never tried these, admittedly, so I don't know for sure. Good luck!

Obsidian
February 28th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Thank you for that link, it helps a lot.

pastina
February 28th, 2017, 10:50 AM
I figured it might! Also, if a color is too brown or to dark, etc, keep in mind you can always mix shades of semis to make them closer to what you're looking for.

PixieP
March 1st, 2017, 05:12 AM
I tried both Cajun spice and Cinnamon this fall. Both got much darker and browner on me than I expected! My hair was as in my signature picture colour-wise and I had light blonde roots (that the dye didn't stick to at all). I'm disappointed :/

Obsidian
March 1st, 2017, 05:16 AM
I ended up ordering the Cajun spice. I also found a orange at Walmart that I can use to brighten the adore if needed.

Anje
March 1st, 2017, 12:24 PM
I think I felt like Manic Panic Wildfire was pretty similar to henna, on my hair. It's probably too bright on hair as light as yours, but you might get good results mixing a bright orange with something like Cajun Spice.

Obsidian
March 14th, 2017, 11:57 AM
I used the cajun spice last night, left in on for 2 hours. It looked really good after it rinsing & drying, a bit lighter then my henna but it blended the roots in wonderfully. I washed today with a sulfate free poo and cool water, really disappointed with how much color came out.
My roots are still orangey and definitely look better then without the color but I expected more from this product after hearing how well it lasts. Hopefully is sticks around for awhile, I don't want to have to do touch ups often.

Arctic
March 14th, 2017, 02:19 PM
My experience with direct dyes is, that they can take few dyejobs to accumulate enough to really stick. Secondly, I have found a clarifying before, cold water+diluted vinegar rinse after and some heat during will all help.

Obsidian
March 14th, 2017, 02:33 PM
I really should have clarified first but it had only been a day or two since I washed last, no product was in my hair, not even conditioner but it was a bit oily on the roots. Maybe I'll try a second application this weekend, see if it helps it stick better. I'll definitely wash first and use vinegar to help set it. Thanks for the tips:)